Caribbean school... smh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Housexoxo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need advice on how to help my cousin. So, my cousin is about to make the worst decision of her life! We both applied to medical school together hoping to end up at the same place unfortunately for my cousin she was not accepted anywhere and I fortunately was. She tried applying for the fall 2017 cycle without applying to DO which I strongly urged her to, but once again she was not accepted. I finally convinced to apply to DO for this years cycle and she was luckily just accepted to a DO school. However, she also applied to Caribbean schools and is deciding to head that route. I have been trying to advise her not to go the Caribbean route, but she is convinced being a MD is more superior than DO no matter what. I have even asked her to look into other healthcare routes, but she refuses. She believes that she knows what she is doing and that she has done much research on her own. She claims that the school she going to attend are not like the other Caribbean schools.

She is not attending a big four Caribbean school, instead she is attending Trinity school of medicine which I have never heard of. After looking into this school I found that they accept about 100 students and they have their clinical sites exclusively around Maryland and are able to provide spots for all their students. My cousin recently showed me the school’s 2018 match rate which was an 86 percent! This school does seem nice, but I am not sure if what they present is reliable.

I wanted to know if anyone has any real unbiased info about Trinity. Is it actually a good school? Or is it just like the other Caribbean schools that deceive and trick desperate pre-meds…… I just do not want to see my cousin make a stupid mistake because of her pride.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any DO school is far superior to Trinity, with a far greater likelihood of matching. Program directors consistently rank DO > IMG. The coming merger, which she will be affected by, will only make the situation more difficult for IMGs. In consequence of the merger, all DO graduates will be competing for only ACGME spots, along with MD graduates, FMGs and IMGs. Therefore, there will be even more applicants for the residency spots IMGs will be applying for, and since they are the least favored, they will be the most likely to go unmatched.

Reactions: 9 users
Have your cousin google “million dollar mistake” blog.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've read it and find it kind of whiny. Sure he didn't get to be an orthopod, but he got into a community cardiology fellowship - and may yet become an interventional cardiologist.

Reactions: 2 users
86% of people they allowed to submit residency applications matched. How many didn't make it to 4th year at all, and how many weren't even allowed to submit apps because there was no way they were going to match anywhere?

Also: "your cousin"

Reactions: 8 users
I sent her the million dollar mistake article. unfortunately , she believes that every scenario is anecdotal and does not apply.

You know what. I would appreciate posts like "your cousin" to please leave this thread. If you think I am the one who would stupidly go to Caribbean school over DO school , cool so be it . Do not respond to the thread. I am trying to seek real advice on how to help a family member.

Reactions: 23 users
Just throwing this out there, 86% is pretty low.

I figured it was good for Caribbean school I guess , that's why I was surprised. However, I agree it is low and still not worth it

Reactions: 1 users
I sent her the million dollar mistake article. unfortunately , she believes that every scenario is anecdotal and does not apply.

You know what. I would appreciate posts like "your cousin" to please leave this thread. If you think I am the one who would stupidly go to Caribbean school over DO school , cool so be it . Do not respond to the thread. I am trying to seek real advice on how to help a family member.

At this point, you're not going to convince her to quit on the idea of med school, especially when she has an acceptance in hand. Chances are she wouldn't find more success in the US next go round, so just let her go. She has to make her own decision, and it sounds like she knows what she's getting into. You're not going to win her over with more information, because she has already heard - and rationalized - all the information there is.

You're not going to logic someone out of a course of action they chose by ignoring logic in the first place.

Wish her the best, and hope she's one of the 50-60% that make it through.

Also, I will post where I please, thank you.

Reactions: 4 users
I figured it was good for Caribbean school I guess , that's why I was surprised. However, I agree it is low and still not worth it

“Good for a Caribbean school” and “good” are wildly different. A Big Mac is (arguably) good for fast food. Would turn your nose up at filet mignon for a Big Mac? God, I hope not.

You should not be making these qualifiers. Most (all?) DO schools have match rates well into the 90s, with a few having match rates of 100% for several years in a row. Your stated Caribbean school has a match rate of 86%, and this likely comes after the school has kicked out the bad kids before the USMLE, only allowed “competent” students to sit for the USMLE, and only allowed those with “reasonable scores” to apply.

This should send up red flags into the stratosphere.

Reactions: 3 users
“Good for a Caribbean school” and “good” are wildly different. A Big Mac is (arguably) good for fast food. Would turn your nose up at filet mignon for a Big Mac? God, I hope not.

You should not be making these qualifiers. Most (all?) DO schools have match rates well into the 90s, with a few having match rates of 100% for several years in a row. Your stated Caribbean school has a match rate of 86%, and this likely comes after the school has kicked out the bad kids before the USMLE, only allowed “competent” students to sit for the USMLE, and only allowed those with “reasonable scores” to apply.

This should send up red flags into the stratosphere.

Like I said I agree. I know DO >>>>>>>>>>>>any healthcare profession>>>>>>>any other job>>>>>>>>Caribbean. I Just trying to see the positives in this situation. But IDK what to say. It really kills me that she has an acceptance to a perfectly good DO school.

At this point, you're not going to convince her to quit on the idea of med school, especially when she has an acceptance in hand. Chances are she wouldn't find more success in the US next go round, so just let her go. She has to make her own decision, and it sounds like she knows what she's getting into. You're not going to win her over with more information, because she has already heard - and rationalized - all the information there is.

You're not going to logic someone out of a course of action they chose by ignoring logic in the first place.

Wish her the best, and hope she's one of the 50-60% that make it through.

Also, I will post where I please, thank you.

K. giving up on her is not an option since I actually care what happens to her especially since she got accepted to a DO school like I mentioned above, so she has a chance at a solid medical career.

The starting M1 class size in any given year at Trinity School of Medicine is 100+ students (including fall and winter entry).

The match list that Trinity School of Medicine posts on its website only includes ~25 matches.

Where do 75% of the students in the entering classes go?

Your cousin is making a horrible mistake.

Reactions: 31 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The starting M1 class size in any given year at Trinity School of Medicine is 100+ students (including fall and winter entry).

The match list that Trinity School of Medicine posts on its website only includes ~25 matches.

Where do 75% of the students in the entering classes go?

Your cousin is making a horrible mistake.

Oh perfect. I did not realize the site only posts 25 matches.

Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to let her make this mistake on her own. Have you tried telling her parents how terrible a mistake she’s making? Maybe they could get through to her. But otherwise, you are going to just have to watch her gamble her career away and pray she’s one of the few people who match from that school.

Reactions: 10 users
Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to let her make this mistake on her own. Have you tried telling her parents how terrible a mistake she’s making? Maybe they could get through to her. But otherwise, you are going to just have to watch her gamble her career away and pray she’s one of the few people who match from that school.

Unfortunately that is no help. She lives with my family. Her parents live in Africa and have biased opinions about MD. They do not know what DO is which is part of the reason why she refuses to go. My parents are no better too they unfortunately do not know anything about the medical school education and think I am selfish for even suggesting DO school to her when I attend a MD school ....ughh

Oh perfect. I did not realize the site only posts 25 matches.

Sorry. I was using the 2016 match list. The 2018 match list includes ~60 matches, which is still very low relative to a 100-student starting class size. No DO school has such a huge attrition rate.

Unfortunately that is no help. She lives with my family. Her parents live in Africa and have biased opinions about MD. They do not know what DO is which is part of the reason why she refuses to go. My parents are no better too they unfortunately do not know anything about the medical school education and think I am selfish for even suggesting DO school to her when I attend a MD school ....ughh

Ah. I mean honestly, I’d show her the match lists from the DO school she got accepted to and the match list from Trinity and help her do the math. If she doesn’t listen, there’s nothing you can do (unless you know some physicians that can talk to her).

There is no way for your cousin to be accepted at US-DO school and not one of the 4 big Caribbean schools.

Even more importantly, if she does not know the difference between attending a US school vs going to any Carib school, then well, there is nothing anyone can say here that will change her mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah. I mean honestly, I’d show her the match lists from the DO school she got accepted to and the match list from Trinity and help her do the math. If she doesn’t listen, there’s nothing you can do (unless you know some physicians that can talk to her).

I'll try showing her the match lists from the DO school. Hopefully that will convince her.

There is no way for your cousin to be accepted at US-DO school and not one of the 4 big Caribbean schools.

Even more importantly, if she does not know the difference between attending a US school vs going to any Carib school, then well, there is nothing anyone can say here that will change her mind.

I don't think she applied to any of the big four schools tbh.

Hey guys I need advice on how to help my cousin. So, my cousin is about to make the worst decision of her life! We both applied to medical school together hoping to end up at the same place unfortunately for my cousin she was not accepted anywhere and I fortunately was. She tried applying for the fall 2017 cycle without applying to DO which I strongly urged her to, but once again she was not accepted. I finally convinced to apply to DO for this years cycle and she was luckily just accepted to a DO school. However, she also applied to Caribbean schools and is deciding to head that route. I have been trying to advise her not to go the Caribbean route, but she is convinced being a MD is more superior than DO no matter what. I have even asked her to look into other healthcare routes, but she refuses. She believes that she knows what she is doing and that she has done much research on her own. She claims that the school she going to attend are not like the other Caribbean schools.

She is not attending a big four Caribbean school, instead she is attending Trinity school of medicine which I have never heard of. After looking into this school I found that they accept about 100 students and they have their clinical sites exclusively around Maryland and are able to provide spots for all their students. My cousin recently showed me the school’s 2018 match rate which was an 86 percent! This school does seem nice, but I am not sure if what they present is reliable.

I wanted to know if anyone has any real unbiased info about Trinity. Is it actually a good school? Or is it just like the other Caribbean schools that deceive and trick desperate pre-meds…… I just do not want to see my cousin make a stupid mistake because of her pride.
After reading through the thread, your cousin reminds me of those people who, no matter how hard you try to tell them not to hit the tree in the middle of the road, have to hit the tree.

When she's driving for Uber four years from now, you can then tell her "I told you so"

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
After reading through the thread, your cousin reminds me of thsoe people who, no matter how hard you try to tell them not to hit the tree in the middle of the road, have to hit tree.

When she's driving for Uber four years from now, you can then tell her "I told you so"

I wanna reiterate Goro’s point, but also state that the choices other people make in their lives are irrelevant to you. You warned her and did your part, now move on and focus on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
After reading through the thread, your cousin reminds me of thsoe people who, no matter how hard you try to tell them not to hit the tree in the middle of the road, have to hit tree.

lol .... hopefully it doesn’t come to that

I wanna reiterate Goro’s point, but also state that the choices other people make in their lives are irrelevant to you. You warned her and did your part, now move on and focus on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my issue is I care way too much. But all of you guys are right I have to let her make her own choices no matter how stupid I find them. I am going to try one more time , but if she ends up going I’m leaving the issue alone and I guess be there for her if it doesn’t work out . Hopefully she is one of those students who is able to succeed a Caribbean school.

I've read it and find it kind of whiny. Sure he didn't get to be an orthopod, but he got into a community cardiology fellowship - and may yet become an interventional cardiologist.

Oh I completely agree, he sounds entitled and whiny. But there are still lessons to be gleaned from his Carib experience as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The twist is that the cousin is in a MD program and the OP is in a Caribbean school.

shyamalan%20main.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
I fear matching as a US MD student with a Step 1 slightly above national average. I envy the amount of denial some people can live in.

Reactions: 14 users
Maybe you should have you cousin talk to someone involved in medical education in the residency front. Have her talk to them and ask what they think of Trinity Whatever Caribbean school or about IMGs in general vs what they think about US DO graduates. Maybe hearing something like this from the horses mouth may convince her.

I would never attend a caribbean school or even apply but the good ones aren't as bad as SDN will have you believe. SGU/Ross produce fine physicians. Sure, a lot of people go there and fail out but these people would have failed out in US MD/DO schools anyway. Its not a 300k mistake when you get thrown out after the first semester. More like a 30k mistake which is not that bad. Thousands have gone there and became outstanding physicians after no US school gave them a chance.

Also kind've funny that the most cited piece against carib is written by a guy who went to carib and is now a cardiologist aka more successful than 90% of the people on here that hate on it.

Just my $0.02 since a friend's father's life was just saved by an interventional cardiologist who graduated from St. George's.

can graduates of trinity practice in all 50 states? this might be important for her to find out before going there

Their stats are misleading. Ross University claims they have a high match rate but they include their students from the previous year as well when calculating the percentage of graduates.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using SDN mobile

I would never attend a caribbean school or even apply but the good ones aren't as bad as SDN will have you believe. SGU/Ross produce fine physicians. Sure, a lot of people go there and fail out but these people would have failed out in US MD/DO schools anyway. Its not a 300k mistake when you get thrown out after the first semester. More like a 30k mistake which is not that bad. Thousands have gone there and became outstanding physicians after no US school gave them a chance.

Also kind've funny that the most cited piece against carib is written by a guy who went to carib and is now a cardiologist aka more successful than 90% of the people on here that hate on it.

Just my $0.02 since a friend's father's life was just saved by an interventional cardiologist who graduated from St. George's.
*sigh*
The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Quoting the wise gyngyn:
The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely that one will be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib threshing machine (like Skip Intro or mikkus) into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Medical School at SGU

"Why didn't I Match?"

Reactions: 6 users
I suggest you post this question in the Caribbean forum. There are posters there who have first hand experience with the Caribbean
schools, and even many who successfully navigated their way through the process will emphatically state that one should
choose D.O. over any Caribbean school. The opinion of someone who has gone to the Caribbean might carry more weight with your cousin.

Last edited:
Spoke to my cousin one last time. Presented her the facts, compared match rates between trinity and the DO school she got into, and even showed her this thread lol. Unfortunately my effort once again was not enough. She is confident in her ability to succeed and has spoken to other Caribbean grads who I guess gave her advise on how to do well???. She knows it's a risk , but shes willing to take it fulfill her dream of becoming a MD. Oh and the funny thing is that if she fails out she'll just do PA or podiatry............... smfh

:bang:

Spoke to my cousin one last time. Presented her the facts, compared match rates between trinity and the DO school she got into, and even showed her this thread lol. Unfortunately my effort once again was not enough. She is confident in her ability to succeed and has spoken to other Caribbean grads who I guess gave her advise on how to do well???. She knows it's a risk , but shes willing to take it fulfill her dream of becoming a MD. Oh and the funny thing is that if she fails out she'll just do PA or podiatry............... smfh

You can’t help someone who doesn’t want it unfortunately. Hopefully all the great advice and numbers people posted here will help someone else from making her mistake :)

Reactions: 11 users
I would never attend a caribbean school or even apply but the good ones aren't as bad as SDN will have you believe. SGU/Ross produce fine physicians. Sure, a lot of people go there and fail out but these people would have failed out in US MD/DO schools anyway. Its not a 300k mistake when you get thrown out after the first semester. More like a 30k mistake which is not that bad. Thousands have gone there and became outstanding physicians after no US school gave them a chance. Also kind've funny that the most cited piece against carib is written by a guy who went to carib and is now a cardiologist aka more successful than 90% of the people on here that hate on it. Just my $0.02 since a friend's father's life was just saved by an interventional cardiologist who graduated from St. George's.
You should work for Adtalem. They are looking for recruiters for their new medical school in Tennessee.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be so sure. Im willing to bet there are Pod students right now who went to the carribean and failed out.

OP, your “cousin” should look into podiatry now before going to the islands. After shadowing a Pod, I was 100% convinced they earn and deserve the title of physcician. They diagnose, treat (both surgically and non surgically), write prescriptions, and medically manage patients who have foot and ankle conditions. They are doctors that choose their specialty before school. Imagine the equivalent of a specialty just for hands and wrist, that is podiatry for foot and ankle.

Wouldn't want her.

PA curriculum itself isn't that easy either.

Good luck to your cousin.... ."cousin".

I think that prospective students would benefit from a list of related healthcare fields they could go into instead of taking the 250k Island getaway gamble. Something like:

Professions to Shadow before setting sail:
Optometry
Podiatry (this is the closest to MD/DO)
Dentistry (best alternative)
PA
PharmD (saturation issues)
Physical Therapy
Occupational therapy
Etc.

Of the 10+ carribean grads I have met during my time in healthcare, 2 were able to secure a residency, and this was 25 years ago for both of them. The most recent lady I met was in her third year of trying to match into a primary care residency. The last I heard she had 1 interview in a very rural area. I have no idea what became of her.

*sigh*
The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

Quoting the wise gyngyn:
The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention.

It's likely that one will be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib threshing machine (like Skip Intro or mikkus) into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Medical School at SGU

"Why didn't I Match?"

You tried. Unfortunately, she is hell bent on potentially ruining her life. Say a prayer for her, wish her luck, and hope for the best.

It amazes me how so many people really give a s#%t about whether DO or MD comes after their last name....smh.

Tell her what my DO buddy told me back in 2012 when I was thinking about applying to a Caribbean program as a back-up option. You have to be in the top of your class to get whatever residencies are left over at the bottom.

Man it sounds like a gap year, or some time in the real world to grow some legs under your cousin would do her wonders... not a healthy thought process for someone headed into medicine...

As goro says... it’s a furnace and yup, he;s right.

I mean, in some respects it matters. MD has a lot more public recognition than DO.
90% of people don't know the different between MD and DO, they just know that they are seeing a "doctor". The other 10% have a skewed opinion about how big the difference actually makes.

as an orthopod, the thought of being a cardiologist.... shudder...