Caribbean vs. Puerto Rico

Started by Arq22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Arq22

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking at all my options...What schools do you guys think are better between Caribbean schools like St. George's or Ross, and schools in Puerto Rico. My dilema is that I really like St. George's or Ross as a school, but Puerto Rico is part of the US.
What do you think? 😕
 
Arq22 said:
I'm looking at all my options...What schools do you guys think are better between Caribbean schools like St. George's or Ross, and schools in Puerto Rico. My dilema is that I really like St. George's or Ross as a school, but Puerto Rico is part of the US.
What do you think? 😕
The main 3 med schools in PR are LCME accredited.That means they are considered equivalent of med schools in the US and Canada.If you graduate from there you are a US med school graduate,not an IMG.Does this matter? In some hospitals,residency programs it will make a difference.I dont think it will be much more limiting to go to the other "caribbean" schools but this is a definite concern.
 
Like the above poster said, the schools in Puerto Rico are U.S. medical schools. Check out the MSAR stats, though. They're way more competitive than schools like Ross or St. George, and you must be fluent in Spanish.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NRAI2001 said:
I think the schools in Puerto rico are still considered foreign.

Puerto Rico medical schools are LCME accredited (3 of them) so you are considered a US grad.
 
retroMD said:
Puerto Rico medical schools are LCME accredited (3 of them) so you are considered a US grad.

Wow really? I thought i read somewhere that it was still considered foreign. I look into that .
 
williamChenry said:
you must be able to speak spanish for all 3 of them?

Yup, you better be fluent. I think some of the classes may be conducted in English but wait till you meet your first patient. Good luck with that if you don't speak Spanish fluently.

And as stated above the Puerto Rican Schools, like the Canadian Schools, are LCME accredited so you are not considered a foreign grad and will not need ECFMG certification.
 
williamChenry said:
you must be able to speak spanish for all 3 of them?

I think so. Goals of those schools are to provide healthcare to the people in Puerto Rico and part of their course work may be in Spanish too. Informations regarding Puerto Rico schools are listed in MSAR.
 
medicomel said:
Like the above poster said, the schools in Puerto Rico are U.S. medical schools. Check out the MSAR stats, though. They're way more competitive than schools like Ross or St. George, and you must be fluent in Spanish.

Not only that, but I don't think the PR schools will take you if you don't have strong ties to the country as in you were born and raised in PR and still have family there.
 
dr1day said:
Not only that, but I don't think the PR schools will take you if you don't have strong ties to the country as in you were born and raised in PR and still have family there.
That is true only of the state supported University of Puerto Rico school of medicine. That other two schools, Ponce and UCC are both private and accepto both island and mainland residents.
 
Dr Who said:
That is true only of the state supported University of Puerto Rico school of medicine. That other two schools, Ponce and UCC are both private and accepto both island and mainland residents.

Are their classes conducted in english? Do you need to be able to speak spanish to attend Ponce or UCC?
 
Arq22 said:
I'm looking at all my options...What schools do you guys think are better between Caribbean schools like St. George's or Ross, and schools in Puerto Rico. My dilema is that I really like St. George's or Ross as a school, but Puerto Rico is part of the US.
What do you think? 😕
I'd go PR for sure before I would go to the carib.
PR is LCME accredited and treated like a USA MD or DO program.

You need to be moderately bilingual tho.

Just my 2cents.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The schools maybe LGME accreditted, but when you actually apply to residencies will PDs still consider you as US grads? Sure you are technically not an FMG, but in their eyes are u still one? Just wondering?
 
Do the Puerto Rican schools have students rotating in PR or in the US? I know many times when it comes time to apply to residencies having rotated in sites really really helps in getting a residency there.
 
NRAI2001 said:
Do the Puerto Rican schools have students rotating in PR or in the US? I know many times when it comes time to apply to residencies having rotated in sites really really helps in getting a residency there.

Did you search their web site? Maybe they have these info there.
 
I'm a med student from PR and PD consider students from here as US graduates. I have rotated in Georgetown and Harvard and know about people from my school who matched into Mount Sinai, Harvard and Mayo to name a few. They can rotate in the states.
 
Ralph Szyslak said:
I'm a med student from PR and PD consider students from here as US graduates. I have rotated in Georgetown and Harvard and know about people from my school who matched into Mount Sinai, Harvard and Mayo to name a few. They can rotate in the states.

Wow that pretty good. Do you have a link to a match list?
 
Ralph Szyslak said:
I'm a med student from PR and PD consider students from here as US graduates. I have rotated in Georgetown and Harvard and know about people from my school who matched into Mount Sinai, Harvard and Mayo to name a few. They can rotate in the states.


Someone just matched into plastics from Ponce into an U.S. integrated residency. Oh BTW you do not need to know spanish for all the schools (there is one where it was not required..can't remember which) you will need spanish for your patients though 🙂
 
NRAI2001 said:
The schools maybe LGME accreditted, but when you actually apply to residencies will PDs still consider you as US grads? Sure you are technically not an FMG, but in their eyes are u still one? Just wondering?
This year several people from PR med schools matched in Derm,this is not unusual.You will be considered as US grad from PR.Every program director has his opinions just as they will with US med schools,but I'v seen PR grads in specialties and hospitals you rarely see IMGs.
 
medhacker said:
Someone just matched into plastics from Ponce into an U.S. integrated residency. Oh BTW you do not need to know spanish for all the schools (there is one where it was not required..can't remember which) you will need spanish for your patients though 🙂

Does Ponce require spanish?

Can you get by without knowing spanish (i.e. having nurses translate for you) at the schools that dont require it?

Is it difficult to learn it during your basic science years?
 
NRAI2001 said:
Does Ponce require spanish?

Can you get by without knowing spanish (i.e. having nurses translate for you) at the schools that dont require it?

Is it difficult to learn it during your basic science years?

From the MSAR it reads for Ponce:

Candidates who do not have a functional knowledge of both English and Spanish are not encouraged to apply, since instruction is given in both languages.
 
dr.z said:
From the MSAR it reads for Ponce:

Candidates who do not have a functional knowledge of both English and Spanish are not encouraged to apply, since instruction is given in both languages.

Hmmm I guess someone could learn it in a few months before marticulating.

How difficult is it to get admission into Ponce and the other PR schools? Are the 3rd year rotations in PR or can you travel anywhere to do them? Is the PR health care system set up like the US?
 
NRAI2001 said:
Hmmm I guess someone could learn it in a few months before marticulating.

How difficult is it to get admission into Ponce and the other PR schools? Are the 3rd year rotations in PR or can you travel anywhere to do them? Is the PR health care system set up like the US?

Go to the UCC website, you can google peurto rico medical schools and you should be able to get a list of the peurto rican schools. The UCC website is in english. From what I read on there website you dont have to know spanish to be admited to there school.During the first two years you are expected to learn spanish and take your basic science courses. During the last two years you must be able to speak spanish since a lot of patients will not be able to speak english. According to the ponce website which is in english to, in order to be admited to ponce you MUST speak spanish and english fleuntly. At ponce your fleuncy in both languages will be tested at your interview. I couldn't find any info on the schools admission stats. I am interested in this info as well. Hopes this helps and good luck to you.
 
soul21 said:
Go to the UCC website, you can google peurto rico medical schools and you should be able to get a list of the peurto rican schools. The UCC website is in english. From what I read on there website you dont have to know spanish to be admited to there school.During the first two years you are expected to learn spanish and take your basic science courses. During the last two years you must be able to speak spanish since a lot of patients will not be able to speak english. According to the ponce website which is in english to, in order to be admited to ponce you MUST speak spanish and english fleuntly. At ponce your fleuncy in both languages will be tested at your interview. I couldn't find any info on the schools admission stats. I am interested in this info as well. Hopes this helps and good luck to you.

👍
 
NRAI2001 said:
Do the Puerto Rican schools have students rotating in PR or in the US? I know many times when it comes time to apply to residencies having rotated in sites really really helps in getting a residency there.

Im a graduate from Ponce. In 4th year I did externship at Jackon Memorial Hospital, Baylor and Mt Sinai In Miami Beach. All for IM sub-internship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NRAI2001 said:
Hmmm I guess someone could learn it in a few months before marticulating.
Unless you have an extremely rare, uncanny linguistic ability to aquire non-native languages, you will not "learn" Spanish in a few months before matriculating. You will be able to have very basic conversations in present/simple future/simple past tenses, but that will be about it.

Also, UCC requires proficiency in Spanish, according to their website:

"Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in both Spanish and English. This is essential, since lectures are conducted in either language, even though Spanish is the predominant language of the Institution. Furthermore, the required clinical experience is mainly undertaken with Spanish speaking people. " (http://www.uccaribe.edu/students/admissions/index.php)
 
dr1day said:
Not only that, but I don't think the PR schools will take you if you don't have strong ties to the country as in you were born and raised in PR and still have family there.


Not true...I want to go to Ponce . I am from New York and actually came to US 6 years ago from Ukraine. I speak spanish a little less fluently than English but anyway I e-mailed admissions they said I can apply if meet their minimum requirements. I do, so, I applied...
 
Hello everyone just asking for some advice I've applied to Puerto Rico (Ponce, U central del caribe, San Juan B. SOM) I have a 3.45 GPA and 27 on the MCAT🙁 have great letters of recommendations and about 3 years of volunterring, worked in a hospital for 2 years as a phleboomist and the list goes on.. which of these schools do I have the greatest chance of getting accepted and should I apply to other carribean programs or is that enough... p.s dont really want to take the MCAT again even though that was my first time.
 
I think the schools in Puerto rico are still considered foreign.

Puerto Rico medical schools are LCME accredited (3 of them) so you are considered a US grad.

We've had a couple of PR residents come through here...so let me tell you what the perception is here.

Yes, they're not technically IMGs as their med schools are LCME accredited. But unfortunately many old-school attendings/faculty/staff still consider them "outside of the country," if you know what I mean.