Caribean vs Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psrai85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just curious as to why people choose caribean over, lets say ireland or australia. I know Ireland is expensive, btu austrlia on the other hand is pretty cheap as compared to SGU and ROSS.

When yuo come back, you have to do the same thing that Caribean IMG's do.

Or is it different, i mean does it make a difference if you are an IMG from australia as compared to lets say SGU or ROSS.

One benefit i can see is doing clinicals in US.

Thanks in advance for help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean schools are USMLE oriented and they allow US clinicals and are 4 years long. The same cannot be said for OZ and Ireland.

I did meet Americans in medical school in Ireland. They took studying for the USMLE really seriously. I think they needed prep time similar to carib students simply because the test isn't taught like it is in US schools. There might be less of a prejudice if you went to Ireland for med school rather than the carib. It just sounds more exotic and less desperate. Some programs might see through that though.
The system is different though. They don't do pharm until after their core clinicals are done. They must have a reason.
One such guy got 250+ on step 1 and matched into optho, another girl just barely passed step 1 and she matched into medicine. They were not able to do any rotations in the States. It is probably just like the carib, it falls on your shoulders to see how well you do on the USMLE, etc.
It was probably more fun/adventurous for them though. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can come back to America in two yrs two do your clinicals in carib

lilzelda said:
You can come back to America in two yrs two do your clinicals in carib

I am sure that you saw his Canadian flag, so that may not be an advantage for a Canadian....lol

I know SGU is 4 years and ROSS is 3.5 years in the length of their programs.

I think AUS and Ireland are 5 to 6 years in the their length. Plus you probably spend another year or two taking USMLE...etc. Where with carribean schools its kinda integrated into their program. You need to pass Step 1 before you can even start clinicals.

McGillGrad said:
I am sure that you saw his Canadian flag, so that may not be an advantage for a Canadian....lol

Nope actually I didn't, but yeah there goes that pro