CaRMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPR22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having reaped alot of advice from SDN, I thought I'd give some back, particularily since there's not too much about CaRMS. As a senior medical student, it is a good idea to do an audition rotation at the place you want to go. This can be costly, but alot of programs only interview those who have done electives there. Compared to the US match the deadlines for CaRMs are much easier, you have until november to submit everything. One point, each program has different formats, and questions to be answered on their personal statement (didnt realize this till 2 weeks before the due date). Interviews are generally held around the first week of Feb. Theres a set interview period, so you can only go to a finite number of interviews. This was exhausting, interviewing and travelling every day for 6 days, in the middle of winter. The interviews themselves weren't too bad, each place had a different format, but most were panel interviews with a faculty and a resident. Most places feed you, although not everyone:mad: .

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for that info. Do you know how receptive Canadian residency program directors are to Canadian students who are applying to CARMS from US osteopathic medical schools?

It's still not an easy route home for Canadian osteopathic med students, with most matches into family medicine, BUT there may be hope considering a DO student matched in pathology at the University of Toronto this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Having reaped alot of advice from SDN, I thought I'd give some back, particularily since there's not too much about CaRMS. As a senior medical student, it is a good idea to do an audition rotation at the place you want to go. This can be costly, but alot of programs only interview those who have done electives there. Compared to the US match the deadlines for CaRMs are much easier, you have until november to submit everything. One point, each program has different formats, and questions to be answered on their personal statement (didnt realize this till 2 weeks before the due date). Interviews are generally held around the first week of Feb. Theres a set interview period, so you can only go to a finite number of interviews. This was exhausting, interviewing and travelling every day for 6 days, in the middle of winter. The interviews themselves weren't too bad, each place had a different format, but most were panel interviews with a faculty and a resident. Most places feed you, although not everyone:mad: .

I will only be allowed to do 3 away electives in my program, only one of which I'm planning to do in Canada. Its sad that my university of choice (Ottawa..) don't give electives for non canadian students. Would you recommend an elective at McGill or somewhere in Ontario?
Did you end up matching? if you don't mind sharing.

Its too bad ottawa doesnt take international students for electives:mad: . Ive heard mixed reviews about McGill from the other students I interviewed with. If you have someone to stay with, or dont mind paying for housing for a month, I'd recommend Toronto, I did an elective there, and it was asked about on a number of interviews. That being said I had to pay like $300. Obviously it would be advantagious to do an elective in a field you're applying to.

Does CaRMs always come before ERAS? I am just wondering because I thought it did but I saw some posts that said that it is highly variable? what is the prospect for the next 5 years?

To the OP: what strategies would you recommend for CaRMS? I'm a third year student right now, and I guess it's time to start thinking about this. I'm completely unsure of what I want to do, but my question is more logistical i.e. when should I do my electives to have a shot at specialty x? How long before these electives should my paperwork be in?

If you have any more practical advice like that it'd be much appreciated!

as far as which electives to do, its probably most helpful to do them in your specialty of choice. The paperwork varies for every school. I remember Mac needed everything in like 6months in advance, along with their $500 fee.:mad: