This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanmed93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - first post on here. I am a Canadian in my 2nd year of 4 at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. I expect to graduate June 2020, so will apply to CaRMS in Fall 2019. I am originally from BC so goal would be rural family med back in BC somewhere (although as an IMG am open to anywhere of course).

My match year will be the first where we will not write the MCCEE and instead sit the MCCQE1. I do not know a whole lot about this exam, but I understand from some of my resident/final med friends that to write this in the spring of my third year (which is what would be required in order to have the scores back in time for the Fall 2019 CaRMS application) would be extremely difficult as you have not yet had sufficient clinical training (I would only be 3-4 months into my clinical year).

I can't image taking a year off between medical school and applying to residency looks great - although I know many people do this - and to be honest I would rather avoid that if I can.

CaRMS or any of the medical schools haven't released info on how they will assess the scores (i.e. will they compare to applicants of that year only, or compare to the scores of people who have written it previously). Obviously that will dictate what the stronger scores are.

Just wondering your thoughts and if you have any other info/advice. Greatly appreciated! Feeling very very lost trying to navigate this world. Seems like the Canadian Medical Council and Medical Schools just keep adding roadblocks to make it increasingly difficult for Canadian IMGs to make it back home.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys - first post on here. I am a Canadian in my 2nd year of 4 at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. I expect to graduate June 2020, so will apply to CaRMS in Fall 2019. I am originally from BC so goal would be rural family med back in BC somewhere (although as an IMG am open to anywhere of course).

My match year will be the first where we will not write the MCCEE and instead sit the MCCQE1. I do not know a whole lot about this exam, but I understand from some of my resident/final med friends that to write this in the spring of my third year (which is what would be required in order to have the scores back in time for the Fall 2019 CaRMS application) would be extremely difficult as you have not yet had sufficient clinical training (I would only be 3-4 months into my clinical year).

I can't image taking a year off between medical school and applying to residency looks great - although I know many people do this - and to be honest I would rather avoid that if I can.

CaRMS or any of the medical schools haven't released info on how they will assess the scores (i.e. will they compare to applicants of that year only, or compare to the scores of people who have written it previously). Obviously that will dictate what the stronger scores are.

Just wondering your thoughts and if you have any other info/advice. Greatly appreciated! Feeling very very lost trying to navigate this world. Seems like the Canadian Medical Council and Medical Schools just keep adding roadblocks to make it increasingly difficult for Canadian IMGs to make it back home.

Make sure to look directly at UBCs website, you will have to do the Clinical Assessment Program and NAC OSCE.

Clinical Assessment Program | International Medical Graduate Office

Honestly havent looked into the new QE1 changes much, will ask around and repost if i get anything.

If you just want FM, you're better off taking the USMLEs and getting a FM residency in the US. Far bigger gaurantee of getting a spot.

You say you want a "rural fm spot" back in BC, many of the IMG spots in BC are based out of St pauls. Getting ANY FM spot in BC is extremely difficult and you have a low chance of success. Any FM spot via CaRMS in general for IMGs is tough, you're competing with a vast pool of applicants. Much safer to do the USMLES and secure a residency in the US for FM. Easy route back to Canada, you'll be paid better and get good strong training that is more hospitalist based too.

Definitely do NOT write QE1 in 3rd year. That would be absurd. If you can take it at the end of your 3rd year, and have sufficient time to prep for it, then maybe? Depends on how long of a summer break you get between m3 and m4..as well what the deadlines for scores would be for the 2020 CARMS match.

Doesnt seem like there is much info about the new changes etc... Since MCCEE is being phased out, that would mean the UBC CAP program will have some changes too.

You can avoid all this headache and confusion by taking the USMLES and securing a US FM rez.

I don't know the MCCEE too well, but the MCCQE pt 1 seems like it is similar but a bit easier than the Step 2CK, with less focus on IM and more on psych, OB and social medicine/ethics.

I'm sure the scores will be important when it comes to selection for residency, I would definitely take the exam once you have some clinical experience, it is an exam Canadian clerks take at the end of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the way it should have been in the first place, glad to see Canada is standardizing all the applicants and having them take the same tests like the US. That way there will be no discrepancy.

Reactions: 2 users
MCCQE1 is similar to Step 2CK, with less focus on Medicine but more focus on preventive, family, behavioural/ psych, OB and Population medicine and ethics.
I suggest doing the USMLE step 2 CK questions and also reading or taking one of the courses offered if you feel under prepared.

But You still need the NAC-OSCE score of 79+ or even 85+ to be considered, and Canadian Healthcare experience with LORs from Canadian Physicians to secure Interviews.

According to last year's match data, Canadian's Studying Abroad (CSAs) had a match rate of around 44% in Canada. The average NAC score for those who matched was a 77. The overall match rate (accounting for older IMGs who immigrated recently) was 22%. Not sure where you're getting 85+ from, as an 85 is the 97th percentile. That would mean only 3% of applicants are actually considered.
79 is a bit more reasonable, but even a 79 is around the 85th-90th percentile, which wouldn't explain the match percentage nor CSA match average.

Reactions: 1 user