Carribbean vs waiting to hear from DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellaamj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in line for an interview with Ross University and was wondering once they give you an offer, how long does one have to take it/decline it? I am currently waiting to hear from DO schools and was wondering if I should jump for Ross's offer or wait it out for possibly an offer for a seat in this country?

Members don't see this ad.

Once Caribbean school gives you an offer, you will have about 30 days to accept it and deposit for Ross I think is about $1000 (source: a friend of mine who went to Ross, then been mistreated by them, and now change his career)

If you are an American, don't go to the Carib. Get into an American school

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I would rather take no acceptances in the US and spend time improving my application for next cycle than going to a school in the Carib. You're better off doing that because a year from now you could find a seat in a much better program. One that would actually match you in a decent residency here. It's your call... but I wouldn't. And if you spend a decent amount of time perusing SDN, a lot of people agree.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello! I am currently in line for an interview with Ross University and was wondering once they give you an offer, how long does one have to take it/decline it? I am currently waiting to hear from DO schools and was wondering if I should jump for Ross's offer or wait it out for possibly an offer for a seat in this country?
What are your stats?

Do not go to Ross! Do some research on this site and you will see that if you don't flunk out, you will have a 50% or less chance to match into a residency upon graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
So you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt?

Reactions: 1 users
How the hell is this still a question

Reactions: 2 users
So you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt?

Uh, I am an attending CT surgeon, making roughly $600,000. Graduated Ross in 2001, how much do you and your fellow family physicians make again?

Last edited:
Uh, I am an attending CT surgeon, making roughly $600,00. Graduated Ross in 2001, how much do you and your fellow family physicians make again?
Interesting first post aside........I also know a kid who became a pro athlete but there are far far more kids who grow up with a dusty letterman jacket in their closet wishing on what might have been

It's a very risky route now a days and they need to know that

Reactions: 5 users
Currently Ross has around a 50% attrition rate, judge your studying capabilities.

Can you take 3 courses of power points and carve the exact word-for word descriptions into your brain on your own? If so then yes you can handle Ross.
It is a lot of work, and less hand holding.
You're going to be frustrated with the amount of work you put in on a daily basis, it is going to be a ton of work. I still remember staring at the beaches at night hoping to get home. But in the end it is all worth it. You will appreciate the opportunity you have.

Ross, SGU, AUC are all esteemed Caribbean schools. Some programs may turn a blind eye to you when applying for residency but do well on your boards, study hard, impress your attending physicians during clinicals, and you will be fine. If you want to stay in the states consider retaking your MCATs and doing post bacc's and getting an MD degree. You do not want to ever be at the disadvantage of being called a DO. It is very hard to be recognized by actual boards for your research and many patients will feel less comfortable.

During residency, my fellow DO friend and I were both asked by our attending to give a surgical consult. I went in the morning, everything was fine, my buddy went in a few hours later, once the patient found out he was a DO, the patient said "lets wait for what the expert has to say". I will never forget that day.

I can only imagine how the merger will affect US IMG with residency. I'll stick with staying in the US.

Interesting first post aside........I also know a kid who became a pro athlete but there are far far more kids who grow up with a dusty letterman jacket in their closet wishing on what might have been

It's a very risky route now a days and they need to know that

I typically spend my time on value MD forums, however one of our residents mentioned this so I decided to answer.
Anything can be considered risky, becoming a physician is risky.
Did I waste my years after being rejected from an couple of MD and DO programs 20 years ago trying to improve my app? No.

I started at Ross, took the full force through, and am exactly where I want to be. With 2 more years of a salary under my belt in my life time.

It isn't for the faint hearted I will give you that. At times you may feel you are Robinson Crusoe on an island, alone, but it is a matter of a few years of hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently Ross has around a 50% attrition rate, judge your studying capabilities.

Can you take 3 courses of power points and carve the exact word-for word descriptions into your brain on your own? If so then yes you can handle Ross.
You're going to be frustrated with the amount of work you put in on a daily basis, it is going to be a ton of work. I still remember staring at the beaches at night hoping to get home. But in the end it is all worth it. You will appreciate the opportunity you have.

Ross, SGU, AUC are all esteemed Caribbean schools. Some programs may turn a blind eye to you when applying for residency but do well on your boards, study hard, impress your attending physicians during clinicals, and you will be fine. If you want to stay in the states consider retaking your MCATs and doing post bacc's and getting an MD degree. You do not want to ever be at the disadvantage of being called a DO. It is very hard to be recognized by actual boards for your research and many patients will feel less comfortable.

During residency, my fellow DO friend and I were both asked by our attending to give a surgical consult. I went in the morning, everything was fine, my buddy went in a few hours later, once the patient found out he was a DO, the patient said "lets wait for what the expert has to say". I will never forget that day.
I call BS ...didn't happen.

I typically spend my time on value MD forums, however one of our residents mentioned this so I decided to answer.
Anything can be considered risky, becoming a physician is risky.
Did I waste my years after being rejected from an couple of MD and DO programs 20 years ago trying to improve my app? No.

I started at Ross, took the full force through, and am exactly where I want to be. With 2 more years of a salary under my belt in my life time.

It isn't for the faint hearted I will give you that. At times you may feel you are Robinson Crusoe on an island, alone, but it is a matter of a few years of hard work.
It looks like you just established your account today with four posts. Are you signing in under another user name in the MD forums? Nevertheless, the world has changed since you went to Ross. IMG's are increasingly at a disadvantage.

LOL at "disadvantage of being called a DO"

Full of it sir, you are full of it and misguiding students. US MD/DO >>> Carrib always and especially going forward

Last edited:

I can respond to everyone's individual posts and indicate the many reasons one would not chose to go DO.
But I think the fact the history of DO schools being primarily "designed" for primary care says it all.

It is still considered by many to be "quack medicine"
My personal opinions aside on osteopathic medicine many individuals do not even know what it is, and trust the MD more.

Now its still better to go to a US MD school over an international one, although I could argue the EU education is much more clinically relevant. But if someone sees an MD and Ross, they wont question it much.

I can respond to everyone's individual posts and indicate the many reasons one would not chose to go DO.
But I think the fact the history of DO schools being primarily "designed" for primary care says it all.

It is still considered by many to be "quack medicine"
My personal opinions aside on osteopathic medicine many individuals do not even know what it is, and trust the MD more.

Now its still better to go to a US MD school over an international one, although I could argue the EU education is much more clinically relevant. But if someone sees an MD and Ross, they wont question it much.

I know that you're just some premed loser living in your mom basement based on this post. There're a few points that I want to clarify:

1) Patients don't know the difference between a DO and a MD. They just know whether you're a physician or not.
2) DO isn't considered to be a quack doctor. Even haters like MT and Psai will acknowledge that OMM has some place in primary care and that there are some really good DOs out there.

I know that you're just some premed loser living in your mom basement based on this post. There're a few points that I want to clarify:

1) Patients don't know the difference between a DO and a MD. They just know whether you're a physician or not.
2) DO isn't considered to be a quack doctor. Even haters like MT and Psai will acknowledge that OMM has some place in primary care and that there are some really good DOs out there.

I am not that stringent on my expenses making $600,000 a year to live in my mother's basement. Your quick reaction and heat when someone has stated your course of medical education is considered "quack medicine" will probably land you in your mother's basement before you make it out of residency though.

1. Patient's do in fact look for the title MD when a physician comes for a consult in hospitals. This is largely due to the fact, hospitals are understaffed by physicians, and families wait for hours for the physician to come to the room/ward.
2. Tell that to the number of patients who go to malpractice attorneys and emphasize that their physician was a DO.

@Waterunderthebridge I currently work for an orthopedic surgeon that is a DO. A physician is a physician and he's pretty damn good at what he does.

Making only $60K? More than you, then.

Take a chill pill and stop trying to justify your risky choice (which paid off ) for you. OP has a > 50% chance of never, ever being a doctor if going to a Carib diploma mill.

EDIT: Did the Argus get banned and respawn? I'm getting a strong whiff of these:

Applying Ignore function now. You'll feel some pressure between the eyes. Awaiting Banhammer app.

Uh, I am an attending CT surgeon, making roughly $600,00. Graduated Ross in 2001, how much do you and your fellow family physicians make again?

Last edited:
DO and MD degrees are entitely equivalent and virtually indistinguishable. You are completely
off and obviously trolling but premeds who don't want to work hard and get in to a US MD/DO school will read this and think its a good idea to go carrib instead of improving app

Making only $60K? More about 2x than you.

Take a chill pill and stop trying to justify you risky choice (which paid off ) for you. OP has a > 50% chance of never, ever being a doctor if going to a Carib diploma mill.

Oh darn, you caught my missing 0, well the bad news is it is an error and I am still making 5X as much as you.

My risky choice has not paid of for just me, but in fact 10,000 physicians from my Medical school alone. Medicine is easy, there is little cognition in the field. The only reason so many individuals witness failure in the Caribbean schools is they did not have the mindset to succeed. I have seen this. Students who fail from American medical schools/ get institutional expulsion, attend Caribbean and fail there as well.

What does it take to get into a competitive specialty from a foreign medical school that is approved in all 50 states? About 12-16 hours of studying during basic sciences, a little bit of butt kissing to attending's during clinical years, humility, and creativity. If OP is willing to put in the effort he will see results. The end product between someone in your school and a Caribbean school? He will have international practice rights.

I did not go to Harvard for residency, yet here I am making more than half a million in practice (I purchase Little Caesar's joints as well, and have supplemental income from there too). Once again Goro, "So you really like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt?" . How much do your "primary care" graduates make in a year again?

The failed attempts at trying to make DOs sound like they're not real physicians are hilarious... are people still doing this?? :laugh: I had to show this to my friends. We all had a good laugh thank you

Edit: If it wasn't for living in Canada, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't have applied to DO schools. Same schooling plus additional OMM training... pretty dope imo. Most of my friends who went to a Carib school could never get an interview at a DO school. Most Carib stigma is around the fact that you can buy your way into the school.
This snobby MD vs. DO attitude is pretty nonexistent amongst my classmates/ colleagues... weird to see a "surgeon" sounding so oblivious. Most of his arguments are related to salary too. It's not a great look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
DO and MD degrees are entitely equivalent and virtually indistinguishable. You are completely
off and obviously trolling but premeds who don't want to work hard and get in to a US MD/DO school will read this and think its a good idea to go carrib instead of improving app

If I live to 65, and took 2 years off to "improve my application," (considering I decide not to retire early), I would make 1.2 million less in my life time.

Please reread the end result, 1.2 million less in a life time.

The failed attempts at trying to make DOs sound like they're not real physicians are hilarious... are people still doing this?? :laugh: I had to show this to my friends. We all had a good laugh thank you

Edit: If it wasn't for living in Canada, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't have applied to DO schools. Same schooling plus additional OMM training... pretty dope imo. Most of my friends who went to a Carib school could never get an interview at a DO school. Most Carib stigma is around the fact that you can buy your way into the school.
This snobby MD vs. DO attitude is pretty nonexistent amongst my classmates/ colleagues... weird to see a "surgeon" sounding so oblivious. Most of his arguments are related to salary too. It's not a great look.

Ah yes, please do continue to laugh, Our residency programs do the same when they see your beloved DO application for a surgical residency.

If someone is able to pass out of a Caribbean school, they certainly have the caliber to perform in an American school. American schools witness failure rates in many classes (biochem), failure is not an option at Caribbean schools. The hundreds who make it out of the program genuinely did it through hard work.

There is just a lot of hostility because he could not make the cut to get into a U.S. MD or DO program.

Reactions: 7 users
There is just a lot of hostility because he could not make the cut to get into a U.S. MD or DO program.

Again please inform me how much does the average DO make? Considering the fact its designed for "primary care".

Did I hurt your feelings? Let me get one of the primary care physicians to put a band-aid on that boo-boo

Edit: By the way- the reason I did not get accepted into American programs 20 years ago was citizenship issues, not my performance.

Ah yes, please do continue to laugh, Our residency programs do the same when they see your beloved DO application for a surgical residency.

If someone is able to pass out of a Caribbean school, they certainly have the caliber to perform in an American school. American schools witness failure rates in many classes (biochem), failure is not an option at Caribbean schools. The hundreds who make it out of the program genuinely did it through hard work.

Hey don't get me wrong. I never said Carib doctors are less qualified than other doctors. My friends who went to Carib school saw less than half their initial class actually graduate. Those that did graduate were completely qualified and top students because they survived it all. I was only talking about acceptance. I feel I'm arguing with a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum. I hope I don't get someone like you as a residency attending :(

Making only $60K? More than you, then.

Take a chill pill and stop trying to justify your risky choice (which paid off ) for you. OP has a > 50% chance of never, ever being a doctor if going to a Carib diploma mill.

EDIT: Did the Argus get banned and respawn? I'm getting a strong whiff of these:

Applying Ignore function now. You'll feel some pressure between the eyes. Awaiting Banhammer app.

Nope. I am a new individual ATTENDING PHYSICIAN to SDN.

Banhammer? Is that how this forum works? Goro exerts full power over the moderators for posts which do not violate the rules?

Are you upset Goro? Kind of funny to know you've tried to get others banned too. When the argument doesn't work in your favor call mommy to fight the "bullies for you". Sure spew hatred everywhere and when someone tells you, youre wrong, Im going to tuck my head between my legs and hide.

Becareful Goro, youre not an actual doctor, the only place you should apply pressure is your own decisions.

Hey don't get me wrong. I never said Carib doctors are less qualified than other doctors. My friends who went to Carib school saw less than half their initial class actually graduate. Those that did graduate were completely qualified and top students because they survived it all. I was only talking about acceptance. I feel I'm arguing with a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum. I hope I don't get someone like you as a residency attending :(

Caribbean students are nearly all given an opportunity. I sincerely do believe that they accept everyone with a clean criminal record who met all prerequisites.
The half of the class who does not graduate sincerely did not perform to their best.
There are many reasons for why students fail from the Caribbean, 1. They don't hold your hand 2. Homesick 3. Did not try in medical school to full potential
Medical school is easy. Easier than undergrad. Its a given set of information that a student is expected to memorize. You have 24 hours in a day and it is up to you to decide how to budget your hours to get the work done. Little cognitive thinking is involved in basic sciences.

Banhammer? Is that how this forum works? Goro exerts full power over the moderators for posts which do not violate the rules?

Are you upset Goro? Kind of funny to know you've tried to get others banned too. When the argument doesn't work in your favor call mommy to fight the "bullies for you". Sure spew hatred everywhere and when someone tells you, youre wrong, Im going to tuck my head between my legs and hide.

Becareful Goro, youre not an actual doctor, the only place you should apply pressure is your own decisions.
You definitely have mental issues. Time to get off the computer and back to patient care where you may be able to add some value.

what part of the US do you practice in?

You definitely have mental issues. Time to get off the computer and back to patient care where you may be able to add some value.

Mental issues? Ah yes, Someone informing Goro to stop being an jerk on the forums, that he is not correct 100% of the time, and that he cant just cover his ears, close his eyes when he hears something he doesn't like and beg for someone to be banned ( does this remind you of a little toddler worrying about monsters under his bed?) is seen as mental health issues.

I didn't do some triple backflip, while juggling flaming knives, and manage to write a novel at the same time to land my residency. And few of the Caribbean students landing the competitive specialties are doing the same. It is a simple cut out process, go to class (or not), memorize the slides, go to lab, revise your notes, do well on the tests, do well on boards. Attend clinical years, be punctual, well dressed, go-out-of your way to help the attending, kiss a little butt, speak clearly. Dont make the same mistake twice and youre on your way, where ever you want to go.

Fools are not a part of the residency application process, only medical school applications.

This whole thread is just sad. No one cares about MD vs. DO anymore. Each can be very successful, and I've seen both. C'mon SDN you can do better.

Reactions: 3 users
Again please inform me how much does the average DO make? Considering the fact its designed for "primary care".

Did I hurt your feelings? Let me get one of the primary care physicians to put a band-aid on that boo-boo

Edit: By the way- the reason I did not get accepted into American programs 20 years ago was citizenship issues, not my performance.

If you would like to cite specifics and generalize them to an entire population, then I can do the same. My girlfriends uncle works as a neurosurgeon in a private practice as a DO. He clears 7 figures a year annually. Does that mean that DOs are more successful than MDs?

These examples are too specific to make a judgement call. Statistics are general enough to make a call off of. The attrition rate for Caribbean schools is real and the number of Caribbean grads that continue to be unemployed year after year is also real.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you would like to cite specifics and generalize them to an entire population, then I can do the same. My girlfriends uncle works as a neurosurgeon in a private practice as a DO. He clears 7 figures a year annually. Does that mean that DOs are more successful than MDs?

These examples are too specific to make a judgement call. Statistics are general enough to make a call off of. The attrition rate for Carrie ran schools is real and the number of Caribbean grads that continue to be unemployed year after year is also real.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Neurosurgery, FMG's have a higher chance of matching into, just for the record. The highest end of neurosurgery income, is taken home by an MD. My original post was indicating to Goro, that Caribbean and life time of debt do not go hand in hand. Lazy = Life time of debt.

The attrition rate is due to everyone being given a chance.
There is a good old joke, what do you call the DO student who went to the top school, and got the highest grades in his class, outside of the US?
Unemployed.

All I will say is this much, I went to an orthopedic who was fantastic! He was a graduate of Guadalajara. Now you may ask how does this have purpose well he went on to do residency at Harvard and became one of the best pediatric orthos in my area. HOWEVER! this was in the 70s/80s.....THINGS HAVE CHANGED these old caribbean grads need to understand that this isn't 2001 or even 2010 anymore these n=1 residencies aren't real anymore! A lot of the residents from the caribbean place in FM, IM, or Psych in not so great hospitals. Also the residency merger is going to benefit DOs if anything and will hurt IMGs because DO admissions stats are going up and this could factor into it. If you are in this for the $600,000 salary and the extra two years of salary then you need to get out of medicine now you're not doing it for the right reasons

Neurosurgery, FMG's have a higher chance of matching into, just for the record. The highest end of neurosurgery income, is taken home by an MD. My original post was indicating to Goro, that Caribbean and life time of debt do not go hand in hand. Lazy = Life time of debt.

The attrition rate is due to everyone being given a chance.
There is a good old joke, what do you call the DO student who went to the top school, and got the highest grades in his class, outside of the US?
Unemployed.

Alright this got me annoyed.....you had citizenship issues, you went to a foreign school and did a US residency and the US medical system is paying your salary....if you build a life here stay here if you're going to move to another country and work then go to school there and live there

Alright this got me annoyed.....you had citizenship issues, you went to a foreign school and did a US residency and the US medical system is paying your salary....if you build a life here stay here if you're going to move to another country and work then go to school there and live there

Sorry Mr. Trump. My citizenship offends you so much. I am working for the US medical system, and hence they are paying my salary and I am paying my taxes. (I am a citizen now by the way). Once I am done working for the system, I will no longer be paid by the US medical system.

All I will say is this much, I went to an orthopedic who was fantastic! He was a graduate of Guadalajara. Now you may ask how does this have purpose well he went on to do residency at Harvard and became one of the best pediatric orthos in my area. HOWEVER! this was in the 70s/80s.....THINGS HAVE CHANGED these old caribbean grads need to understand that this isn't 2001 or even 2010 anymore these n=1 residencies aren't real anymore! A lot of the residents from the caribbean place in FM, IM, or Psych in not so great hospitals. Also the residency merger is going to benefit DOs if anything and will hurt IMGs because DO admissions stats are going up and this could factor into it. If you are in this for the $600,000 salary and the extra two years of salary then you need to get out of medicine now you're not doing it for the right reasons

My decision to pursue medicine is independent of my decision to earn money. This does not mean a physician who is giving up the good portion of his early years is not entitled to a healthy income and making sound financial decisions.

My decision to pursue medicine is independent of my decision to earn money. This does not mean a physician who is giving up the good portion of his early years is not entitled to a healthy income and making sound financial decisions.

What part of the US do you practice in?

This thread is hilarious. To feed the troll @Waterunderthebridge haven't Carib matches been tanking lately? Medical school is not the same as it was even 5 years ago, let alone 15 when you went to the Carib. There are way more schools, both MD & DO, with way higher admissions criteria.

Also smh at the 600K figure being thrown in pre-meds faces. Even if you made 6 million I don't think any of us here care. We are just trying to get sound advice to further our careers.

Reactions: 3 users
Uh, I am an attending CT surgeon, making roughly $600,000. Graduated Ross in 2001, how much do you and your fellow family physicians make again?

I've shadowed two different DO family practice docs who make plenty of money to live comfortably and happily. They also make a positive impact in their communities and have a wonderful rapport with their patients (something I doubt you have). They practice OMM and their patients love it (evidence by the two month wait it takes to get into to see them). I personally saw one DO relieve shin splints in one patient and a pregnant woman's back pain right after. I was thoroughly impressed.

As a side note I was able to shadow a heart surgeon twice a week all of last spring semester through a program at my school. The surgeon was amazing, always professional and always very, very busy. He clearly didn't have time to be trolling meaningless threads on SDN on Tuesday afternoons, as he was busy making his highly eulogized (by you) $600,000.

:bullcrap:

Reactions: 4 users
Dang, dude was banned before he could respond. Strange that a surgeon was spending time on an afternoon on a pre-med forum filled with 20 year olds lol

Reactions: 8 users
Lol only a member for less than 12 hours. That must be a record.

Status
Not open for further replies.