Carribean med vs pharmacy vs computer science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazy Slot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In short,
I have to pick between going to carribean med schools, pharmacy or a masters in computer science. The pharmacy and medical school programs are 100% paid for and I dont need to take any loan. Ill need to take a loan for at least the first year of the computer science program. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my question for you, why do you have so many options?

Medical school: Do you see yourself working with patients? Diagnosing? Researching? Being in your 30s/40s when you start to get a good quality of life? You mentioned Caribbean. How's the residency placement?

Pharmacy: Why this? What's your motivation? Do you want to be clinical vs community? Residency? Working with people?

Computer programming: I don't know much about this field. I know it involves a lot of problem solving and some time spent alone. Not as much people contact.

Anything you do, you have to hustle in life. I'm not just talking about pharmacy being a saturated market. People who make top money go the extra mile, computer programming is not a guarantee as well as health care. There are still a lot of things that go into it.

There are a lot of options on the table for you. Weigh them carefully, think about what the job entails and follow that.

Reactions: 1 user
If those are truly your only choices, then do computer science.

Members don't see this ad :)
295vn7.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Here's my question for you, why do you have so many options?

Medical school: Do you see yourself working with patients? Diagnosing? Researching? Being in your 30s/40s when you start to get a good quality of life? You mentioned Caribbean. How's the residency placement?

Pharmacy: Why this? What's your motivation? Do you want to be clinical vs community? Residency? Working with people?

Computer programming: I don't know much about this field. I know it involves a lot of problem solving and some time spent alone. Not as much people contact.

Anything you do, you have to hustle in life. I'm not just talking about pharmacy being a saturated market. People who make top money go the extra mile, computer programming is not a guarantee as well as health care. There are still a lot of things that go into it.

There are a lot of options on the table for you. Weigh them carefully, think about what the job entails and follow that.
1) I can see myself as a pathologist
2)st george so the placement is relativly good.
3)why pharmacy? I thought its a good profession and I got accepted to pharmacy school with a good scholarship. If i do pharmacy, I plan
4) regarding computer science I do like to spend time alone . Also I took a python course at my university and I enjoyed coding alot. I can spend hours over hours just doing that. Upon finishing a master in CS, i can apply for a phd in computational biology or bioinformatics. The problem is that ill need to take a loan for the first year at least and I dont like that and CS dont pay as much. Also I can learn programing as a hobby at my own time.

3)why pharmacy? I thought its a good profession and I got accepted to pharmacy school with a good scholarship. If i choose pharmacy, I plan to finish a residency in pharmacy informatics or a fellowship in pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenomics, or drug development.
4) regarding computer science I do like to spend time alone . Also I took a python course at my university and I enjoyed coding alot. I can spend hours over hours just doing that. Upon finishing a master in CS, i can apply for a phd in computational biology or bioinformatics. The problem is that ill need to take a loan for the first year at least and I dont like that and CS dont pay as much. Also I can learn programing as a hobby at my own time.

The reality is that the average CS salary is almost at the level of the average pharmacist salary. Contrary to popular belief, CS offers BETTER job prospects compared to pharmacy which is saturated and getting worse by the year as more schools flood the market with new grads each year and mergers and acquisitions result in job cuts.

You only need to look at how computer programmers are treated vs how pharmacists are treated in the workforce. Tech companies offer lavish perks, i.e. free catered gourmet meals, on-site gym and laundry, employee shuttles, even massages, etc. whereas as a pharmacist you might be lucky to even get a bathroom break during 14 hours on your feet. Add to that corporate pressure to meet demands and rude and nasty customers shaking you down for that early refill of their controlled substance. If you don't accept the work conditions, there are hordes of unemployed or underemployed new grads with $200k+ in loans who would kill to be in your position.

There is a huge shortage of computer programmers right now. Many programmers earn six figures straight of undergrad, or even with no degree and usually get multiple offers before graduation. That is compared to having to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life to work as a glorified cashier in a retail pharmacy, or taking out $300k+ in loans and spending another 7-10 years in med school and residency only to have much of your paycheck disappear toward student loans, taxes, and malpractice insurance.

tl;dr CS offers the best job prospects, pay, and lifestyle for the least amount of tuition.

3)why pharmacy? I thought its a good profession and I got accepted to pharmacy school with a good scholarship. If i do pharmacy, I plan

Based on your post in another thread I answered, and now know how your getting funded: you need to forget about the healthfield. Caribbean med school is the riskiest and worst investment of anyone’s money (pharmacy would give it a run for this entitlement in this category). Research it and you’ll see why no provider would ever encourage such an abominable act.

Your already worried about failing pharmacy yet mention med school...what you think...easier or harder?

If you can see doing anything else besides being a physician you do just that (ask in the med forum you’ll get your answer). You have not shadowed nor researched to consider one or the other. Go with computer science based on hobby...not just google ‘salary of a pharmacist or physician’..you’ll do yourself a favor following a passion and not first intuition of money.

Based on your post in another thread I answered, and now know how your getting funded: you need to forget about the healthfield. Caribbean med school is the riskiest and worst investment of anyone’s money (pharmacy would give it a run for this entitlement in this category). Research it and you’ll see why no provider would ever encourage such an abominable act.

Your already worried about failing pharmacy yet mention med school...what you think...easier or harder?

If you can see doing anything else besides being a physician you do just that (ask in the med forum you’ll get your answer). You have not shadowed nor researched to consider one or the other. Go with computer science based on hobby...not just google ‘salary of a pharmacist or physician’..you’ll do yourself a favor following a passion and not first intuition of money.
You are making some assumptions here which im to blame for since I didnt accuratly explain my situation. First, its not about which school is harder or easier. I have been interested in medical school for a while therefore i have an idea of how the classes are structured but I dont know how pharmacy school classes are structured. If i had to guess I think both pharmacy amd medical school are challenging but they are different therefore i cant tell which is easier and which is harder. For example I took undergraduate and graduate biology courses in molecular biology, immunology, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology and others and I aced them. such courses could indicate (somewhat) the ability to finish medical school But i didnt rely on chemistry knowledge to do so. However (again to my understanding) there is more chemistry involved in pharmacy school than in medical school. Hence you take courses like medicinal chemistry. You assumed that I didnt shadow any physicians which is not true you also assume that I didnt do my research on medicine which is also not true. I do however put your opinion into consideration because you make a good point regarding :
1)following my passion and what i think I might be good at.
2) the two other options being disastrous choices.

Another issue is how im I going to fund these choices.
For example Id rather go to carribean medical school or pharmacy simply because they are funded. I cant say the same about computer science. If i graduate from a carribean medical school or a pharmacy school, ill be free of debt. I can work any where I want and It doesnt need to be in the US. As for computer science, not only do I have to graduate with debt, but also i still have to deal with some uncertainty regarding employment and having a sufficient salary to pay for those loans

What is your reasoning

Caribb med schools have horrible attrition rates, low board scores, and residency/specialty selection are limited, if not nil. Pharmacy is saturated. Computer science has better prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For example Id rather go to carribean medical school or pharmacy simply because they are funded. I cant say the same about computer science. If i graduate from a carribean medical school or a pharmacy school, ill be free of debt. I can work any where I want and It doesnt need to be in the US. As for computer science, not only do I have to graduate with debt, but also i still have to deal with some uncertainty regarding employment and having a sufficient salary to pay for those loans

Why are they willing to pay so much for Caribbean med school or pharmacy school yet not computer science? The latter offers you far better job prospects and good pay for far less tuition money.

If I am not wrong, I am guessing that you are trying to make your family proud by going to med or pharmacy school. Realistically, you need to think about your prospects going to a Caribbean med school or pharmacy school. What if you end up not matching after med school? What if you end up unemployed after graduating from pharmacy school? How will your family feel if all that money and time goes to waste?

You are making some assumptions here which im to blame for since I didnt accuratly explain my situation. First, its not about which school is harder or easier. I have been interested in medical school for a while therefore i have an idea of how the classes are structured but I dont know how pharmacy school classes are structured. If i had to guess I think both pharmacy amd medical school are challenging but they are different therefore i cant tell which is easier and which is harder. For example I took undergraduate and graduate biology courses in molecular biology, immunology, genetics, biochemistry, cell biology and others and I aced them. such courses could indicate (somewhat) the ability to finish medical school But i didnt rely on chemistry knowledge to do so. However (again to my understanding) there is more chemistry involved in pharmacy school than in medical school. Hence you take courses like medicinal chemistry. You assumed that I didnt shadow any physicians which is not true you also assume that I didnt do my research on medicine which is also not true. I do however put your opinion into consideration because you make a good point regarding :
1)following my passion and what i think I might be good at.
2) the two other options being disastrous choices.

Another issue is how im I going to fund these choices.

With those facts on the table now we have a different scenario (completely different). Regarding your worry about pharmacy school: Don’t be. You have taken sufficient courses that I would imagine you’d do more than alright.

With that being said I’d still stay clear of the profession.

Caribbean school as stated above: terrible matching and attrition. With your shadowing and presuming a competitive GPA, go DO or MD before ever Caribbean. That is, if medicine is a passion.

What was your undergrad GPA? Have you done the MCAT ?

Now that the light has been shed on your background, I’d try to go MD/DO with funds taken care of NOT Caribbean. But I say again...is it your passion? Willing to spend 7-10 more years of study for that passion? Can’t answer that for you, but if my funds were covered I’d sacrifice years of studies to persue what I’d want...

Hell, I'd go with the free ride med school. Enjoy the island life, be a top stupid and try to match. At least you have a chance at success, with pharmacy I don't see much opportunity.

Why are they willing to pay so much for Caribbean med school or pharmacy school yet not computer science? The latter offers you far better job prospects and good pay for far less tuition money.

If I am not wrong, I am guessing that you are trying to make your family proud by going to med or pharmacy school. Realistically, you need to think about your prospects going to a Caribbean med school or pharmacy school. What if you end up not matching after med school? What if you end up unemployed after graduating from pharmacy school? How will your family feel if all that money and time goes to waste?

But st george has >90 % match rate isnt that similar to the match rate in US schools. If i didnt match cant I do a research fellowship. Also I dont have to match in the US I can match in europe/australia. All these options are not bad options considering that there wont be any loans to chain me down. Same with pharmacy, I can work in canada or australia (two of my uncles are pharmacists in each of these countries and one owns his own pharmacy bit im not sure about how the regulations/requierments are to work in thos countries)

anyways Im simply trying to see what other people are thinking about this issue and thanks to everyone for the feedback :)

With those facts on the table now we have a different scenario (completely different). Regarding your worry about pharmacy school: Don’t be. You have taken sufficient courses that I would imagine you’d do more than alright.

With that being said I’d still stay clear of the profession.

Caribbean school as stated above: terrible matching and attrition. With your shadowing and presuming a competitive GPA, go DO or MD before ever Caribbean. That is, if medicine is a passion.

What was your undergrad GPA? Have you done the MCAT ?

Now that the light has been shed on your background, I’d try to go MD/DO with funds taken care of NOT Caribbean. But I say again...is it your passion? Willing to spend 7-10 more years of study for that passion? Can’t answer that for you, but if my funds were covered I’d sacrifice years of studies to persue what I’d want...

I see, thanks for the feedback.
I applied to both MD and DO schools for the past two years , in short I was waitlisted to 4 but never accepted.
My GPA is in the 3.55 -- 3.6 range my MCAT is in the 499--501 range(thanks to chemistry)