CARS Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got about 5-6 weeks until test day:

I need help with CARS. Any suggestions? I have ripped through the AAMC bundle pack ~68-70% of CARS questions right. Most of my TPR tests I about ~50-56% for CARS. I am looking to improve this, where should I start? I have exhausted Khan.

Members don't see this ad.

What in particular are you having trouble with? Is it the comprehension part of it or the questions that ask you to infer how the author would interpret additional information or a mix?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

What in particular are you having trouble with? Is it the comprehension part of it or the questions that ask you to infer how the author would interpret additional information or a mix?

Both, mostly comprehension though.
Comprehension issues are mostly with philosophical/art passages.
As a result I started reading slower, more critically, and more carefully. I feel that I am actually getting worse with CARS - I am at the point where I am overthinking. What would be the best next step?

Well, what worked for me is to not necessarily read slower, but to read with interest. I change the tone of the voice in my head, imagine what type of person would talk like the author, that kind of thing. I found that when I focused on thinking critically I also was bringing a lot of external knowledge to the passage, and from what I've heard we aren't really supposed to do that. If there is a way you can force yourself to be interested in the passages and read them like a novel, it might help. Just my two cents. Also, the EK cars book I thought was pretty good at helping with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, what worked for me is to not necessarily read slower, but to read with interest. I change the tone of the voice in my head, imagine what type of person would talk like the author, that kind of thing. I found that when I focused on thinking critically I also was bringing a lot of external knowledge to the passage, and from what I've heard we aren't really supposed to do that. If there is a way you can force yourself to be interested in the passages and read them like a novel, it might help. Just my two cents. Also, the EK cars book I thought was pretty good at helping with that.

Appreciate it. Sounds like good advice. The CARS part is frustrating.... it's the only section I can't raise....

Also, do you find that taking notes as you read the passage is helpful? How do most people approach this?

There's no time for notes. Keep grinding away. Allow your brain to get used to getting in the zone. Highlight names / quoted things and actively think while you read like "oh I bet they'll ask some silly question about dis dude"

Also, do you find that taking notes as you read the passage is helpful? How do most people approach this?
I don't take notes because I don't really find them a good use of time. I find that if I pretend I'm really interested in the information then I retain enough of it for the next few minutes than the notes would anyway. I like the idea of highlighting a couple significant names or theories though. I do that on occasion.

There's no time for notes. Keep grinding away. Allow your brain to get used to getting in the zone. Highlight names / quoted things and actively think while you read like "oh I bet they'll ask some silly question about dis dude"

Not doing too hot on AAMC CARS vol 1. I feel like doing nonstop practice questions is the best way to go... but I also feel like doing the same thing and expecting different results = insanity.

I agree that doing the same thing and expecting different results is insanity. My advice: pick one or two things to try changing. Focus really hard on doing one or two things differently. Try a few problems focusing on these things. Maybe 20 questions. Compare to your baseline. If things have improved - you know the direction to go. If not - pick something else to try and repeat. It may sound basic, but it would probably help. Also, what's your schedule like? Is it possible you're burnt out when you're practicing?

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to just grind out more passages. If you just do more passages you will just keep applying the wrong strategies to all of them, and probably just become depressed. You need to develop a critical thinking/reasoning method that works.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to anyone who tells you to just grind out more passages. If you just do more passages you will just keep applying the wrong strategies to all of them, and probably just become depressed. You need to develop a critical thinking/reasoning method that works.

I totally agree with this above quote. It's kind of like that saying "If you practice wrong, you play wrong" Or something to that effect. Repetition is only helpful when you are doing everything correctly. That doesn't mean you have to be perfect the first time you go and practice something, but instead that you have an idea of what types of critical reading components you are looking for when approaching a CARS passage. You want to have a specific and defined game plan that works for each and every CARS passage you approach. You don't want to just approach a passage with no structure because there is always that one passage that can be truly difficult and that requires a true game plan. I mentioned this blog in another post, but I think it will help you as well:
http://www.elitemcattutors.com/#!MC...t-1-–-Overview/eif1m/579c07fc0cf276b3ba07d628

Reactions: 1 user
I totally agree with this above quote. It's kind of like that saying "If you practice wrong, you play wrong" Or something to that effect. Repetition is only helpful when you are doing everything correctly. That doesn't mean you have to be perfect the first time you go and practice something, but instead that you have an idea of what types of critical reading components you are looking for when approaching a CARS passage. You want to have a specific and defined game plan that works for each and every CARS passage you approach. You don't want to just approach a passage with no structure because there is always that one passage that can be truly difficult and that requires a true game plan. I mentioned this blog in another post, but I think it will help you as well:
http://www.elitemcattutors.com/#!MC...t-1-–-Overview/eif1m/579c07fc0cf276b3ba07d628

I appreciate it goodlord123. Do you think that 5 weeks is enough time to turn around my CARS issues?

Also, more of a general question here... Sometimes when completing practice questions online, the CARS questions will ask you to refer back to a point in the passage. Often I will use "control F", or the "shortcut search option" on my laptop to find similar words mentioned in the passage. Will this option be available during the actual MCAT?

I appreciate it goodlord123. Do you think that 5 weeks is enough time to turn around my CARS issues?

I do, but there are some stipulations. Five weeks is a good amount time to work on CARS, but you really have to be incredibly focused on the right approach to tackling CARS passages. If you had more time, you could probably trial and error and see what works and what does work. With five weeks, you will want to have a specific framework already set and then use those five weeks to master using that framework to understand passages and answer the subsequent questions.