CARS Highlighting; Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Do you guys think highlighting is worth the time when taking the CARS section? Or is it just a waste of time?

I have been practicing and sometimes I do not even refer back to the highlighted portions.

Maybe I am highlighting the wrong items? Any suggestions of key words or sentences one should highlight as soon as it is read.

Like many others, CARS is killing me. It is the section that is not allowing me to break 510 on the MCAT.
Please, any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I highlighted my nouns (they like to refer back to them in their questions), any sharp language or criticism, and the topic sentence for the whole passage.

Reactions: 1 user
I usually highlight nouns and extreme language/criticism too as well as names of theories/ big picture ideas introduced, summary like sentences, and transitional words like "however". I've also learned to skip over parts that are just expanding on or explaining a point (if I understood the point when it was first mentioned).
I used to get really caught up in reading the details and remembering everything from the passage that I would miss the big picture. I've turned that around and now it really helps me get a grip on the main idea- and the important details are highlighted so I don't fret about that as much.

Do you make an outline? I'm a bit conflicted about it...If I make an outline, I usually don't go back to review it when answering questions but maybe I can improve my CARS score if I kept doing it...not sure. See if it works for you.

Reactions: 1 user