Case-based and practical or clinical oriented dental program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hospicer

pre-dental
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you please explain the differences between them?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel like you just summed up every single dental school.

**btw i have no idea what you just asked**

are you referring to how your competency is evaluated?

I don't think the division is totally clear cut. Are you seeing these descriptors in the ADEA guide or something? I'm intrigued.

Here's what I've learned from some Googling:

Perhaps the keywords you may be searching for are 'problem-based learning' vs 'case-based learning.' There is a lot of literature on this topic regarding healthcare education. (See this: http://www.jdentaled.org/content/77/10/1300.long and see this: http://www.webmedcentral.com/article_view/1976 )

The two above ideas are both ways of making the learning the process contextual rather than purely didactic. Problem-based is oriented more towards just throwing the student into the thick of things so they can discover what they don't know and then be motivated to go off and learn those things. (I'm guessing when you say "clinical" you're probably referring to what education majors call problem-based learning.) Case-based is like a compromise, presenting students with specific cases but with a more teacher-guided purpose and process.

So case-based sounds more guided and pre-meditated. Clinical based more like real life simulation: unpredictably difficult and/or boring but probably more confidence building if you succeed.

AH so you mean PBL vs traditional?

what i can tell you is this---purely PBL is pretty useless in my opinion. you walk into a subject blind, using textbooks to learn everything/figure everything out.

PBL in conjunction with traditional didactics. yea, i can see that working

friends at PBL schools have told me the same--they cram for each PBL session and don't really get much out of it. i suppose it does give you more time to focus on clinical classes, so that might be a plus

Here's my BS answer. PBL started with medical schools and involves separating the class into small groups and having each group member reading a particular case problem and coming up with a diagnosis and clinical solution. Then each member comes together and discusses their answers. This is a variant of didactic instruction or conventional instruction with a professor at the podium talking to an auditorium full of students. I believe PBL was a cost reducing invention because you don't have to pay a doctor as many hours for lecturing.

An entirely different issue is a didactic vs clinical school. Some schools put more emphasis on studying and others put more time investment in clinical stuff. There are more clinical schools than didactic schools. Didactic schools are Harvard, Columbia and UCLA. Clinical schools are mostly state schools and mid to low tier private schools.

My preferred method of learning is having lectures recorded and taking notes at home at 1.5x speed.