Case logs for attendings ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannyboy1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New attending here. At one of the hospitals where I am credentialed the credentialing committee asked for case logs. As I am fresh out of residency this wasn't a problem and I just printed the acgme record and sent it in. Just wondering what I would have done if I had been in practice a few years. Do you guys keep logs for credentialing requests?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I do. I write down very briefly the cases I did, at the end of each day, in the Notes app of my tablet/phone. It takes 30 seconds. It's not as detailed as my residency logs but, if asked, I can produce a list.

It looks like this: 3 gen surg ett 1 aline 1 cvc, 1 ortho spinal, 1 gyn mac, 1 gyn lma. You can be more specific than that, even use a spreadsheet. But the simpler it is, the higher the chances you will do it every day. In the end, what a credentialing committee wants to see is some kind of proof that you have provided the types of anesthesia and you have performed the types of procedures you are asking privileges for.

Some people collect the patients personal identification stickers in a notebook, with a short associated note. To me, that's a huge HIPAA risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
The billing company can pull your list of cases. Just a simple phone call will do it.

No real need to keep case log

Maybe in extreme case where they need 50 cardiac cases with tee over 2 years or certain pain interventional pain procedures. But 99.9% of the time. Billing case log will do the trick.

Reactions: 1 user
Hospital credentialing committees frequently ask for case logs, even if you have been in practice for many years. Some hospitals have a minimum number of cases (e.g. 250-500) per year previously that must be done in hospitals, not in surgery centers or offices, in order to be credentialed. Others will accept surgery center cases in the total, but it is my experience rarely do surgery centers keep case logs for anesthesiologists, and offices certainly do not. Even some hospitals do not keep case logs for anesthesiologists, unless they have electronic charting capabilities. A locum tenens may have great difficulty in obtaining these logs from multiple billing companies at different institutions, so if you are considering moving to a new hospital or city, consider keeping a case log for 1-2 years prior.

The billing company can pull your list of cases. Just a simple phone call will do it.

No real need to keep case log

Maybe in extreme case where they need 50 cardiac cases with tee over 2 years or certain pain interventional pain procedures. But 99.9% of the time. Billing case log will do the trick.

The billing company can provide the numbers for TEE exams and I imagine pain procedures.

Just call your billing or IT department. Epic can run a report of every case you have done by time frame, and so can your billing group. If you confirm this early on, don't bother after that, or spit out a yearly epic report if that is your EMR system.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app