CASE or NOVA or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchung42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to Case and Nova yesterday and I have NYU interview coming up in few days.

I'm having hard time as they are all great schools and have goods and bads

Case : Great school but it's cleveland
Nova : No info
NYU : Great city and could be a great school but I've been hearing bad things about NYU from SDN. Hearing these things are not going to affect my choice but it is hard to ignore so.. yea

Anyways

I just want to find out more info on these schools and if you guys could help me to get to know more about the schools

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, NYU is a great with an execellent facility, faculty, and a vast amount of money at their beck and call...i heard about bad things, but i was completely blown away when i interviewed. bottom line, draw your own conclusions, like you said!

ive heard NYU is a great school also, but it seems like cost of living is through the roof. even if case is in Cleavland, it's a great school and the cost of living is probably going to be lower than both NY and ft. lauderdale (i'm guessing...not really sure)

Members don't see this ad :)
What if Money is not a factor to be considered?

What if Money is not a factor to be considered?

Go to the cheapest school! They are many many threads about different choices and if you make some search you will see most of people recommend you to go to the cheapest one!

all these schools are very different....

So, I think you can make your own decision soon. :)

EX)
a.CASE; P/F(Good thing)
b.NYU; Grading with 300+ D students (Bad thing)
c. NOVA; Grading within the small size of student body (Good thing)

a&b ; student body size & grading system
b&c; student body size
a&c; grading system.

There are many more things you can think about.

Good luck! Nono...pray god for your ultimate choice.

Congrat! :thumbup:

I've heard that Case will revert back to a letter-based grading system once the boards become pass/fail. Not that this should be a reason not to attend Case. I'm just putting it out there FYI.

I would choose NOVA. Hot girls and nice weather along the beach trumps all :thumbup:

Living in Santa Barbara for five years has given me that mentality :D

99% of the crap you heard about NYU is untrue. You'll find that out when you visit the school and talk to students there. Don't believe the haters.

I would go to NYU if you get in. If not, I'd go with Nova :)

as far as i know case will be staying pass fail unless boards change and there hasnt been talk about any changes in the grading system recently

Nova... the student atmosphere and the school itself was awesome. (and the weather :cool:)

I've heard that NYU's facility is amazing but then again you will be attending school with +200 other students.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at Case last year I wasn't all that impressed. They had a nice sim clinic but they're dental clinic looked really really old. I didn't think it was worth it for the amount of money they charged. Although they do have an awesome cafeteria! I've never been to Nova or NYU, although I have heard a lot of bad things from several dentists about NYU.

NYU was revamped two years ago and most of the old rumors you heard are false. There is a high student population though and that is the main downside other than cost. Honestly you will be impressed when you go to NYU. I suggest the steak sandwich at lunch.

Nova I have heard conflicting reviews over it. Two of my friends go there, to quote one of them "Nova finds ways to screw you out of money if you have the chance go to NYU". However my other friend who is in DO school there apparently loves it. That area of Ft. Lauderdale is run down compared to surrounding areas but the school facilities seem to be nice from what I have seen.

Case I don't know much about, but if the only downside is that it is in Cleveland you can always move after four years. Personally I would go to almost any dental school if it were based on location because inside the school is safe and that is where most of your time is spent. Heck UF is in gainesville which is a safe area yet some random guy got blasted in the face in a parking garage last year. Stuff happens everywhere but once you know the area you will know how to limit your risks.

Nova I have heard conflicting reviews over it. Two of my friends go there, to quote one of them "Nova finds ways to screw you out of money if you have the chance go to NYU".

i just had an interview at nova recently and our tour guides said the same thing! they were complaining about things that you have to buy but are completely unnecessary, like a tablet laptop.

bump for more infossss
:D please help out!

well case is like that too. they provide you with a laptop that is really expensive.... so i think the laptop shoudln't be a problem.

NYU was revamped two years ago and most of the old rumors you heard are false. There is a high student population though and that is the main downside other than cost. Honestly you will be impressed when you go to NYU. I suggest the steak sandwich at lunch.

Nova I have heard conflicting reviews over it. Two of my friends go there, to quote one of them "Nova finds ways to screw you out of money if you have the chance go to NYU". However my other friend who is in DO school there apparently loves it. That area of Ft. Lauderdale is run down compared to surrounding areas but the school facilities seem to be nice from what I have seen.

Case I don't know much about, but if the only downside is that it is in Cleveland you can always move after four years. Personally I would go to almost any dental school if it were based on location because inside the school is safe and that is where most of your time is spent. Heck UF is in gainesville which is a safe area yet some random guy got blasted in the face in a parking garage last year. Stuff happens everywhere but once you know the area you will know how to limit your risks.

Um i don't see how you can consider Ft Lauderdale run down, i know the school is in Davie, but it is seriously nice here. Might be a little further from the beach but it is far from rundown. If you want to see a rundown neighborhood go to Temple and check out the surrounding area. And as far as Nova screwing your over, even if they screwed you out of 30,000 dollars it would still be cheaper then NYU especially with the cost of living in Manhattan.

nova is def. not rundown, i just had my interview today and this place is amazing

Um i don't see how you can consider Ft Lauderdale run down, i know the school is in Davie, but it is seriously nice here. Might be a little further from the beach but it is far from rundown. If you want to see a rundown neighborhood go to Temple and check out the surrounding area. And as far as Nova screwing your over, even if they screwed you out of 30,000 dollars it would still be cheaper then NYU especially with the cost of living in Manhattan.

I lived in Jupiter (North of West Palm) that's where my opinion comes from ;)

The area is not ghetto by any stretch but compared to Boca, Manalapan, Palm Beach and as it seems almost anywhere down there except metro dade its anticlimatic.

nova is def. not rundown, i just had my interview today and this place is amazing

Facilities and school are very nice no doubt about that. I didn't care for the surrounding area when I have been down there. Btizzles is right though, even if they screw you of a lot of money it will be cheaper than my NYU or Midwestern tuition.

I lived in Jupiter (North of West Palm) that's where my opinion comes from ;)

The area is not ghetto by any stretch but compared to Boca, Manalapan, Palm Beach and as it seems almost anywhere down there except metro dade its anticlimatic.
Jupiter!!! i love it that's where i am from (then the parents moved up north...)(but still own stuff down there haha)
palm beach is sooo nice lol

i hear you, i'm having a hell of a time deciding for myself, but if i were in your shoes i would go to Nova, warm weather, great and i mean amazingly great faculty, not to mention the amount of attractive women there = an enjoyable dental school experience.

NYU's class is Huge and it costs your first born to go there

case is P/F but apparently might be changing to ranked when the boards go P/F

I don't know about other schools, but I really liked NYU and I asked questions with regard to negative things said about the school and none of it is true. I have been accepted to USC and I have an interview on Jan 8 at UCSF but if I don't get accepted to UCSF, I will go to NYU. It has great facilities and there are lots of activities that you can do at NYC.

dont be stressssed.,
just go to nyu with me !
by the way ur post made me log in for the first time lol. :smuggrin:

Ok~for today, I will just do this.

Please anybody refute my opinion regarding bad things at each school.

Bad things in my mind now~

NYU
*So large...am I selecting a school where I can get the least clinical opportunity? :scared: are you sure it will not be annoying? (in terms of time, date, type of dental treatments)

*So large...is there any chance that sometime during my study, I suddenly doubt if I am an NYU dental student? :laugh:

CASE
*PBL .. which didactic courses they provide ---> Can't find anything from their website :confused:

*Do only dental students participate in PBL? (Yes, if I remember)

*I know some complain about PBL. How is it graded in Case? Do you think it's harsh? (I believe PBL grading includes peer review)

Plus, I hope someone can input.
a) board pass rate b)NBDE estimated average

Last edited:
I just would like to know what's so bad about NYU's large class size.

This is just what I think. When we took general chem or general bio class in our freshmen year in college, the class size is like 200-400 people in most universities....right??

So, did you people do bad or fail those classes because the class size is too large??? We all did well even though the class size was large. That's why we applied to dental schools and did well on the DATs...u know?

And if you are concerning about personalized clinical training, I heard that there are as many teachers as students in NYU. So, you can definately get personalizd clinical training....(That's what I heard from a current NYU student) 0__0;;;

This is just what I think. When we took general chem or general bio class in our freshmen year in college, the class size is like 200-400 people in most universities....right??

So, did you people do bad or fail those classes because the class size is too large??? We all did well even though the class size was large. That's why we applied to dental schools and did well on the DATs...u know?

And if you are concerning about personalized clinical training, I heard that there are as many teachers as students in NYU. So, you can definately get personalizd clinical training....(That's what I heard from a current NYU student) 0__0;;;

You are right!

I got a confidence that clinical opportunities at NYU has no problem. Actually, I am sure that they have everything with the most innovative technology.
However, I don't know for sure. There has been complaint about chair/student ratio at NYU, and there must be some reasons. I deserve to investigate into it right now. Above all, I need to know if it's very important for me.

For example, Case provides dental chair for each dental student. I need to know what this kind of difference can result in. :p :confused:

Meanwhile, I want to remind you guys of this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5223782#post5223782

Ok so in lecture/basic science classes you really only need one professor to i would say up to 500 students. Just like in undergrad. But when it comes time to clinic that is not going to work. When i was interviewing at NYU (i went there twice) you always had students walking around searching for faculty to sign off things in clinic, which is the same as pretty much every school. And you are crazy if you believe that they have as many faculty as students. there is no way that NYU has 800 Faculty members. They might have some that come in for a few hours a week or something like that and they call them faculty, but there is no way that there are as many teachers as students.

agreed

that's is what I'm worried about

when you go for an interview or a visit no schools will say their school lacks something.

Easier to be said than done.

Even though many of the students (us) are bright and smart, we are going to a dental school to get polished and become what we call Good Dentist

We need extensive help from the profs i believe and I think that is what NYU will be lacking compared to smaller sized schools.

For lecture part of the curriculum, it doesnt matter if there's 250students vs 50 students. But when it comes to practical portion, even though you are divided into smaller groups into upto 8, you are still getting less attention.

I heard NYU has nice facilities and many "chairs" but what is it worth without an instructor

I've always wondered what everyone was concerned about when they lay down the blanket statement that "NYU Is bad because there are so many students"... Ok. So you're worried about whether you'll have enough prof-time? That's fair. Here's my take on it:

Pre-clinic (1st and 2nd year) -- There are plenty of faculty members around most of the time. One row (about 10 students I think??) gets one faculty member. Sometimes there's a line of students waiting for a signature but it's really no biggie -- take a five minute break to rest your eyes. Only rarely am I unable to find an available instructor -- maybe my favorite is busy but SOMEONE is usually free (there's just so many!!).

Clinic (3rd and 4th year) -- You're divided into a Group Practice of about 40-50 students (half D3s and half D4s). One director and a rotating staff of full and part-time faculty. It's annoying running around to get faculty signatures but that's the nature of the beast -- you need to get signed off on EVERYTHING. It's not usually hard to find someone though.

I spent a decent amount of time in UF's clinic (80 students per class) and I've spent some time in our clinics at NYU. Except for the fact that NYU is much busier I don't think there is much difference in students' ability to get a prof to look at your work.

I like having a large class. A LOT less competition. Easier to find your niche. Because our faculty:student ratio is the same as everywhere else you can get a LOT of opinions on your work from different dentists. It's a personal preference though -- I would recommend attending your interview and getting a feel for the school. If you decide that a large student body is still a negative and not, as I see it, a POSITIVE, you are lucky to have other excellent options. But I'll guarantee you won't find a larger patient population -- all my friends have full patient rosters and have to pass off new patients to other students.

PM me if you have any specific questions!