Case Report - Unfinished case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just came across an interesting case today. Lady suddenly lost her eyesight and we have no clue why. I'm interested in writing her case report considering I was the student that questioned her today.

I was wondering what is the protocol on getting "dibs" to writing the case report considering we don't have a definite diagnosis yet.

Can I ask my supervisor if I can write the patient's case report even though a definitive diagnosis is not known and the case is still going on?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Just came across an interesting case today. Lady suddenly lost her eyesight and we have no clue why. I'm interested in writing her case report considering I was the student that questioned her today.

I was wondering what is the protocol on getting "dibs" to writing the case report considering we don't have a definite diagnosis yet.

Can I ask my supervisor if I can write the patient's case report even though a definitive diagnosis is not known and the case is still going on?

Find out the cause first. Then you'll know if you have a case-reportable case or not.

Once there's a diagnosis, then yea, you should be the first one to say "Oooh, that's really interesting. Would you mind if I wrote this case up, as I've been part of her care from the start?"

Reactions: 1 user
Find out the cause first. Then you'll know if you have a case-reportable case or not.

Once there's a diagnosis, then yea, you should be the first one to say "Oooh, that's really interesting. Would you mind if I wrote this case up, as I've been part of her care from the start?"

Sweet, good thinking. Thanks Dr. Bob.

Talk to the attending to see if 1) it's worth writing up and 2) if someone else is already working on it, 3) if someone else is already working on it, if you can join in.