This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeyegal1129

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm currently between choosing OSU and Case for med school.

Case Pro:
Family in Cleveland
Eventually hope to work for UH or Cleveland Clinic
Opportunity for medical Spanish program
Master's in Applied Anatomy looks cool

Case Con:
COST*** (I know we all take out loans but Case is substantially more than OSU and I can't really live with my parents because they live on the opposite side of town)
Uncertain how I feel about the curriculum being primarily group-based
Not sure if my personality meshed with the students there (I will acknowledge that I only saw students on my interview day)

OSU Pro:
Home school! (Opportunity to get started early with research, stay involved mentoring pre-med students at OSU, good football tickets lol and I already know I can fit in with the people here)
LOVE the curriculum (early clinical exposure especially)
In-state tuition
Sister is currently an undergrad here and my boyfriend will be attending med school here in the fall (this is very small but I like having the feeling that I will know people here and will have a support system on campus)

OSU Con:
Hard to compare with research opportunities at Case (probably the biggest thing making me question this)
Harder (?) to match into competitive specialties (just by looking at both schools' match data from the past few years)
No medical Spanish program (this might be small but I know 0 Spanish, and I really liked the idea of being better able to communicate with Spanish-speaking patients without a translator)

Obviously some of this stuff I said might be due to personal bias so if anyone has any insight please let me know! I really appreciate all of this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW I had a friend who is an OH resident and she was literally told at her interview day at Case that she should just go to OSU for the cost. She's very happy at OSU.

Med school is tough so you should go somewhere you feel comfortable, especially if you're saving money. You can always match back to Case from OSU and it's not like Case is significantly better than OSU rank-wise. Also from what I understand (maybe this is state-by-state so look into it for Ohio) to be able to communicate with patients without a translator, you have to be certified. I don't think you'll be able to go from 0 Spanish to translator-level fluency as a medical student anyway. There's always Duolingo anyway. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
FWIW I had a friend who is an OH resident and she was literally told at her interview day at Case that she should just go to OSU for the cost. She's very happy at OSU.

Med school is tough so you should go somewhere you feel comfortable, especially if you're saving money. You can always match back to Case from OSU and it's not like Case is significantly better than OSU rank-wise. Also from what I understand (maybe this is state-by-state so look into it for Ohio) to be able to communicate with patients without a translator, you have to be certified. I don't think you'll be able to go from 0 Spanish to translator-level fluency as a medical student anyway. There's always Duolingo anyway. ;)
Thanks for your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw you were initially on the deferred list at OSU. Did you end up being accepted off of it?
Yes I was! I think I just annoyed them enough with updates lol. I just previously thought it was my top school (and I think it still is) but I've just been feeling pressure from friends in med school, people I know who work for case, advisors, etc. to look at Case more but I feel like that just confused me more :/

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, I'm currently between choosing OSU and Case for med school.

Case Pro:
Family in Cleveland
Eventually hope to work for UH or Cleveland Clinic
Opportunity for medical Spanish program
Master's in Applied Anatomy looks cool

Case Con:
COST*** (I know we all take out loans but Case is substantially more than OSU and I can't really live with my parents because they live on the opposite side of town)
Uncertain how I feel about the curriculum being primarily group-based
Not sure if my personality meshed with the students there (I will acknowledge that I only saw students on my interview day)

OSU Pro:
Home school! (Opportunity to get started early with research, stay involved mentoring pre-med students at OSU, good football tickets lol and I already know I can fit in with the people here)
LOVE the curriculum (early clinical exposure especially)
In-state tuition
Sister is currently an undergrad here and my boyfriend will be attending med school here in the fall (this is very small but I like having the feeling that I will know people here and will have a support system on campus)

OSU Con:
Hard to compare with research opportunities at Case (probably the biggest thing making me question this)
Harder (?) to match into competitive specialties (just by looking at both schools' match data from the past few years)
No medical Spanish program (this might be small but I know 0 Spanish, and I really liked the idea of being better able to communicate with Spanish-speaking patients without a translator)

Obviously some of this stuff I said might be due to personal bias so if anyone has any insight please let me know! I really appreciate all of this! :)
Go to case. Your opportunities will be much better.