Case West -- Univ Hosp (UHHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone interview there yet? I've got an interview invite there in 3 weeks. any info would be greeeeeeeeeat. stuff on scutwork is sorta old and the 'search' fxn on here isnt working :(

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
Anyone interview there yet? I've got an interview invite there in 3 weeks. any info would be greeeeeeeeeat. stuff on scutwork is sorta old and the 'search' fxn on here isnt working :(

I went to med school there.....Cleveland IS cold....

militarymd said:
I went to med school there.....Cleveland IS cold....
i'm from the midwest originally and from a VERY VERY cold city....sooo I'm biased in LOVING the cold ;)

MM i didnt know u were from the midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
ThinkFast007 said:

I interviewed there last year and REALLY liked their program. Very well rounded, including truama, for which they send you over to MetroHealth, not huge like the Clinic's program. Residents seemed to be happier than the Clinic's residents also. Interview day actually consisted of 2 days last year, pre-interivew meet and greet/Q&A with the residents and directors on friday night, than interviews on saturday. There were 6 different interviews... sort of a lot, but you do get some time between them. Residents seemed to be a tight-knit group. I ranked them second on my ROL. Would have ranked them first but, I wanted to stay put secondary to personal, aka girlfriend, reasons.

any more info?

i wanted to 'bump' this thread cuz now that the search engine is fxning...i used it to no avail about this subj :(

ThinkFast007 said:
any more info?

i wanted to 'bump' this thread cuz now that the search engine is fxning...i used it to no avail about this subj :(

Your mail box is bull.

Ohio is OK..at least the places I know. canton, akron, cleveland, youngstown, athens.

militarymd said:
Your mail box is bull.

Ohio is OK..at least the places I know. canton, akron, cleveland, youngstown, athens.

the best part of cleveland is that you can be in pittsburgh in two hours for a steelers game ;)

Although if I were from Cleveland, I would stay far FAR away next sunday... :D

First, there are two Case Western programs - University Hospitals and the MetroHealth program. The programs are very different.

University Hospitals - Very nice state of the art hospital and primary teaching hospital for Case Western Reserve School of Medicine. The anesthesia program is very resident friendly. They offer inhouse moonlighting at $65/hr. They do rare heart transplants but do frequent liver transplants. Call is not too bad either. They take 12 residents a year so it is a medium size program. Residents are pretty happy. Board pass rate has been close to 100%. Program director works with Niels Jensen teaching the oral board review course. Weakness is regional anesthesia which they are making up for now by offering a block month where all u do is blocks. Can do 5-12 blocks/day. Lots of "perks"... moonlighting, palm pilots, lap top computers (I dont know if they are still doing this), department pays for all expenses if you present at a conference, etc. They pay for most interview expenses except airfare. They have both a critical care and pain fellowships.

Metro - level 1 trauma center and county hospital. Lots of trauma. They just updated their ORs with electronic charting. No real rotations though... you just do whatever comes in. No "perks" that other programs offer. It's your basic county program.... you'll see cuz you get to eat at their cafeteria for the interview.

;)
PGY2 said:
First, there are two Case Western programs - University Hospitals and the MetroHealth program. The programs are very different.

University Hospitals - Very nice state of the art hospital and primary teaching hospital for Case Western Reserve School of Medicine. The anesthesia program is very resident friendly. They offer inhouse moonlighting at $65/hr. They do rare heart transplants but do frequent liver transplants. Call is not too bad either. They take 12 residents a year so it is a medium size program. Residents are pretty happy. Board pass rate has been close to 100%. Program director works with Niels Jensen teaching the oral board review course. Weakness is regional anesthesia which they are making up for now by offering a block month where all u do is blocks. Can do 5-12 blocks/day. Lots of "perks"... moonlighting, palm pilots, lap top computers (I dont know if they are still doing this), department pays for all expenses if you present at a conference, etc. They pay for most interview expenses except airfare. They have both a critical care and pain fellowships.

Metro - level 1 trauma center and county hospital. Lots of trauma. They just updated their ORs with electronic charting. No real rotations though... you just do whatever comes in. No "perks" that other programs offer. It's your basic county program.... you'll see cuz you get to eat at their cafeteria for the interview.
excellent post man! or girl