Case Western OMS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottW3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever done an externship here? I'm set up to do one over my spring break and was just looking to get some info on what to expect. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I externed here (I am a third year student at Case)
I've done 5 externships in OMFS and this was the best one and I am not biased as a student at Case! You get to see dentoalvl. in the clinic, pathology, trauma, and cosmetics. I think Case, has the best of both worlds. The chair is fellowship trained (at Umich, I think?) and does lots a interesting, complex reconstructions, cancer, etc. The residency director does a lot of facial plastics, and orthognathic cases as well to list a few. Both are top of the line educators. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

We have a nice mix of Hospital/ Dental school/ Private practice setting, with full scope any where from trauma, dentoalveolar, tons of implants, craniofacial, cosmetics, cancer, reconstruction, to tonsillectomies, TMJ replacement. As an extern you get to help in the clinic will get you to pull as many teeth as you want, you take call with the interns, you get to scrub in all the OR cases, you can stay in our hospital call room (highly recommended). You should do a case presentation at the end of you externship about one of the cases you helped with. Hope these info helped you can PM for any more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for both of your replies. I'm really looking forward to it. Ill PM you with specific questions. Thanks again.

Good God man, 5 EXTERNSHIPS BY THE END OF YOUR THIRD YEAR!!! I didn't even decide to do OMFS until March of last year! Those externships will definitely help. I have said over and over that I wish I could have done more.

We have a nice mix of Hospital/ Dental school/ Private practice setting, with full scope any where from trauma, dentoalveolar, tons of implants, craniofacial, cosmetics, cancer, reconstruction, to tonsillectomies, TMJ replacement. As an extern you get to help in the clinic will get you to pull as many teeth as you want, you take call with the interns, you get to scrub in all the OR cases, you can stay in our hospital call room (highly recommended). You should do a case presentation at the end of you externship about one of the cases you helped with. Hope these info helped you can PM for any more info.

Maxfac can externs stay in the on call room during the duration of their externship or only when you all let them take call? Also, how is the trauma at Case? Do you see a lot of variety and big whacks or are these taken to other nearby hospitals? Do you have any anatomical boundaries, like only mandibles, or does anything go?

Thanks a lot,
The Count

Maxfac can externs stay in the on call room during the duration of their externship or only when you all let them take call? Also, how is the trauma at Case? Do you see a lot of variety and big whacks or are these taken to other nearby hospitals? Do you have any anatomical boundaries, like only mandibles, or does anything go?

Thanks a lot,
The Count

Yes you can stay in the call room for the duration of your externship. Regarding trauma, we get a good number of trauma cases including panfacials, gsw, lots of pediatric trauma with no anatomic boundaries.

Yes you can stay in the call room for the duration of your externship. Regarding trauma, we get a good number of trauma cases including panfacials, gsw, lots of pediatric trauma with no anatomic boundaries.

Much appreciated.

I am not sure I believe that but you should know. I think according to interviews, Case did about 50 mandibles last year, <5 zygoma, 10 or so orbits. Case is Level II and as far as I know all major trauma in Cleveland goes to Metro. I do think Case gets enough trauma to go out and be functional in a community hospital, however.

The call room at Case was quite nice as was the entire hospital. You can stay in the call room b/c the residents take call at home. Good program, I ranked it pretty high due to the broad scope w/ two fellowship trained faculty.