SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

case western secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gellybean, Oct 17, 2001.

1. gellybean

gellybean Member 7+ Year Member

May 31, 2001
    just wondering what some of you wrote about for your secondary essay. I hate open-ended questions...i don't know what to write about.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. I wrote I wanted to have a publishing company on the side...and I mentioned 2 years of editorial, layout skills as well as publishing issues to have my own company and publish medical school text books....

(I thought I was being innovative, when I didnt talk about my 2 research positions, or volunteer work in an undeserved population, or my interest in piano of 12 years, or the fact that I find graphic design and art fascinating)

Needless to say, they rejected me within a one time week period after they got everything......so much for being original....my feelings were so hurt...and it was like after the september 11 thingie...so it was like a double whammy...snig snif :(

of course, at least they were polite in their letter...not like stanford....who really made me feel like a loser.....there should be law against being mean....snif snif...I kind of was depressed for 2 days...I had so much extracurricular sh!t, and stuff....only to learn that someone from my own school, with zero extracurricular, 1 research activity for 1 year, got a secondary snif snif snif.... :(

so much for being "well rounded"....I wont let this happen in med school :(...i feel so cheated....but i did all the extra stuff for fun as well...but I mean....was a little reward asking for too much? schools shouldn't reject people (that is just so mean), they should just put everyone in a HUGGGGGE waitlist....I mean you bust your b*tt for 4 years to help people...then it comes down to a paper application....

so so sorry for rambling...watcha is kind of depressed....didnt get expect to get rejected so soon from stanford and case western.....snif snif....anybody got a hanky.....watcha is for second time so SAAAAAAAAD.....and why is there a freakin war.....more pple getting killed....i think I'm losing it.......snif snif...my girlfriend also left me....so much for unconditional love......

why does everything go wrong at the same time?!

4. leorl

leorl Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Awwwwww Watcha. I repeat. you didn't wanna come to Cleveland anyway :) they don't deserve you. And btw, what the hell u doin' up at 4:14 am ? :) :) :p

Ya know, CWRU especially isn't that well known for "liberal arts" stuff, and the newspaper/journalistic stuff isn't exactly that respected.

But hey, when you get your acceptances, you can laugh in their faces. HAHAHAAHHA! :)

Best of luck
    ~Leorl

5. Resident Alien

Resident Alien What? 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    I wrote on cricket.

6. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Fishing.

7. Drako

Drako Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern CA
    have yet to receive their secondary! blah!

8. Suz177

Suz177 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Richmond, VA
    I wrote about teaching...I got an interview there, too! :)

9. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2001
    I think maybe if you had worked in a UNDERSERVED population, than an undeserved, you may have not been rejected. ;)

I'm teasing of course..their loss they rejected you. They knew you were too cool for them!! ;)

10. beached whale

beached whale Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I wrote about creative outlets - specifically about how I did a great deal of fiction writing in college (one novel, a collection of short stories, etc.) and why I gave it up. Also about how I make and sell my own jewelry now (if you're interested, check out www.grapevinejewelry.com). Of course, I recieved my secondary a month ago, completed it two and a half weeks ago and still haven't sent it in because I can't get off of my lazy pregnant ass and get a photo taken of me! You can tell I REALLY want to experience those Cleveland winters...

11. hahah leorl...ur the BEST.....u my one and only sista! I was studying for two midterms that night so I came online to vent my frustration..... :D

oh snowballz...that was a typo honest :D

aaawwww shucks...u think I'm kewl? ;) :cool:

12. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes! 10+ Year Member

I wrote about mountain biking in Montana and some exploits during said activity.

Evidently, it did the trick.

13. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    Did you get in, then, Smoke This? I'm feeling better & better about my fishing essay! :D

14. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes! 10+ Year Member

No, I merely got an interview offer, today, no less.

However, I could use my psychic powers to will myself to be admitted... :D

15. Mage

Mage Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    I just got my MCAT scores (11, 10, 9..M :mad: ), have a 3.5 GPA, and just sent out my letters of recommendation...AMCAS apparently transmitted my materials to Case Western on the 13th (though I certified my AMCAS on the 1st)...just when should I get a secondary? (Or should I be asking "will I even get a secondary?") Already got one from the University of Michigan, but wondering if I should even bother with it...I heard they practically cut off below a 36 MCAT and a GPA of 3.8 for out-of-state students.

16. LilMissDrDoolittle

LilMissDrDoolittle Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am curious. How mean was Stanfords rejection. What do they say?

17. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    All AMCAS transmitted was your name & address and the fact you're applying. You don't need to sit around waiting for a secondary from Case Western; they're not screening (not many schools are this year). Go to their website and fill out their on-line form and they'll send you one.

18. Resident Alien

Resident Alien What? 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    I dont know if that is right...i dont have an interview offer at Mich. yet, but i am under "file under review"....and i dont have that score....neither did at least one other poster on this board, who infact got an interview.

19. Mage

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    Case Western has an online application as well? I did not know that. Thanks...geez, all this time...I did go to their site and look around a lot...never saw anything like that, though..

Bleh, the link was so inconspicuous at 1600x1200 on my 19" monitor, I completely missed it... :( Hopefully I'm not too late.

20. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    This Case Western online app seems to be one well kept secret. I heard about it here on SDN as well. Personally, I wrote my essay for them about the animals - monkeys (hence my handle) I work with in my research, not really about the research itself.

21. Mage

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    Ah, when did you write/send it in? I feel -so- behind now...

22. Mage

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    What is the essay topic? I may as well get started on it lest I get any more behind..

23. SMW

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    The essay topic is to write about any subject outside of medicine that has held your interest. (2 page limit)

24. Mage

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    Wow, really? That's rather nice. I think I'll elaborate on the Kenpo martial art I studied that I mentioned in my AMCAS personal comments essay.

25. pcl

pcl Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Cleveland
    http://medulla.cwru.edu/AdmApplication/index.asp

hope that helps someone!

Last year I wrote about running, and my interviewer was a runner also... Kind of nice.

So far things are going well here, we just had an exam yesterday and we start anatomy tomorrow...Hope to see some of you around wearing your suits!

26. Chunk-ee

Chunk-ee Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2001
    the cut off for case is definitely not 3.8/36 for out of state, cause I just got in with an MCAT of 11-11-11... so don't worry, give it a shot!

27. Chunk-ee

Chunk-ee Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 1, 2001
    by the way, if anyone is bored enough to actually READ my essay, I posted it online at my webpage, www.chunkychen.com . If you stop by please do sign my guestbook! :)

28. Mage

Oct 17, 2001
    OH
    Well, I meant the cutoff for Univ. of Michigan out-of-state.