Case Western SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hoooba said:
Has anyone recieved the financial aid form from Case yet? I thought they were supposed to send it out with the acceptances.

I got a generic packet. I need to fill out a bunch of forms and then they will send something more useful.

Members don't see this ad.

Got accepted to Case, and it's definitely a top choice of mine. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on having a dog with them in Cleveland, especially a good place to live with a mutt!

DetectiveChubby said:
I got a generic packet. I need to fill out a bunch of forms and then they will send something more useful.

Thanks. I just got mine today

Members don't see this ad :)
Prospero said:
Got accepted to Case, and it's definitely a top choice of mine. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on having a dog with them in Cleveland, especially a good place to live with a mutt!
You'll probably want to live in cleveland heights which is actually a nice place to have pets. Lots of sidewalks and parks.

geekOCD said:

So is there a separate application for the merit scholarships? From what I remember, they screen before they send that one out. Does that mean if you didn't get it with your acceptance letter do count on getting one?

Question for anyone who has interviewed: Did you attend any classes during your interview day? If so which one, and would you recommend it to someone else interviewing?

Regarding merit scholarships: to my knowledge (also from reading the case thread from last year), all merit applications are given w/ the acceptance letter. So I'm not expecting any merit aid from them (and from the sounds of it, neither are you). I'm still hoping for some need-based aid though! That said, I'm not an authority, and receiving a merit scholarship application would be a nice surprise.

geekOCD said:
Regarding merit scholarships: to my knowledge (also from reading the case thread from last year), all merit applications are given w/ the acceptance letter. So I'm not expecting any merit aid from them (and from the sounds of it, neither are you). I'm still hoping for some need-based aid though! That said, I'm not an authority, and receiving a merit scholarship application would be a nice surprise.
I think that you are correct. I did receive an application in my acceptance packet.

ingamina, I did attend a class, and it was not particularly special. I think that if you've seen a class at one med school, you've probably seen them all. :p But, it certainly can't hurt if you're wanting to get a feel for the school, so if you have the time and you feel like doing it, go for it. Good luck w/ your interview. :)

Thanks SO Much, Q of Q!!! :thumbup:

Hi guys, just happened to stumble upon this thread when I was looking up residency info. I'm graduating from Case this year. If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same thing. I've had a great 4 years, and most importantly, me and my classmates have done really well getting interviews at great programs. Case has a good reputation and you will get an excellent education.

That being said, just wanted to bring up some important points. When you are a med school applicant you tend to focus on the first two years of your medical eduation, which are a lot less important than your third and fourth year in my (and others) opinion. A really important (and good) thing is that the first two years at Case are pass/fail (i'm assuming they haven't changed that). This helps eliminate competition among classmates, fosters a great learning environment, and gives you more free time. You don't need to study 12 hours a day because you are afraid you will drop to the bottom of your class if you don't know the third step of the krebs cycle. It also allows you to focus on the Step 1 when it comes around, which will be the ultimate mark of the first two years. In terms of information, I think the first two years of med school are pretty standard everywhere, as long as it isn't PBL only.

I never realized how lucky I was in choosing to attend Case until my third and fourth years.. You have three great hospitals to do rotations at (UH, Metro. Clev Clinic). And there are NOT several med schools in the area competing for slots at these places, like a school in NY might have to deal with. I felt this gave us more choice with timing of rotations and finding the place that fits you right depending on your career interest.There are nationally known faculty in all these locations that can write you letters for residency. I believe there are changes coming to the clerkship structure, but I don't know how this will affect things. We also have a pro-student registrar who is very friendly and will make things much smoother for you. Oh yeah, and we had two months of vacation and 4 weeks of "reading elective" (for boards study) to spread between the third and fourth year, which makes interviewing really easy and convenient. Many of us 4th years will finishin February of this year; I haven't heard of many other schools that do that. I hope that isn't changed for you guys.

By the way, I'm not too familiar with the thesis requirement either, but if that is something you like, there are plenty research opportunities up here.

As far as Cleveland goes, there is something for everybody. You just have to get used to snow if you already aren't. Good luck and PM me if you have a question.

Got the second look weekend packet in the mail yesterday...anyone else going? It looks like a busy weekend, but should be a good time (particularly thanks to the serving of alcohol both friday and saturday nights).

Haven't gotten the packet yet, but definitely planning on attending!

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple of housing questions - given that many of us will be renting our first apartments in cleveland and don't have a renting history, are the landlords around case more flexible w/ typical credit/renting history requirements since we're med students? Also, there's a forum over in pre-allo where several people have said that cleveland is horrible for dog-owning (especially finding apartments that accept dogs). Any thoughts on this? (getting a pet, possibly a dog, is fairly important to me, so just wondering)

Hey guys,

I've been waiting on a W2 from my employer and they still haven't sent them out. I need to include a signed copy with my financial aid application so I haven't been able to submit my application yet. I know some of the financial aid is first come-first serve. Do you think I may be missing out on some aid because my application is late?

thanks

I called the financial aid office and they said they won't process the aid packages until March 1.

Good to know, thanks =) I'm hoping to meet the March 17th deadline, but haven't gotten W2s from one of my employers yet either.

Also, for anyone else who's interested in the md/mph, I called the fin. aid office today and found out that the mph was totally free for last year's class, and they'll be meeting in two weeks to determine what it'll be for our class. *crosses fingers for another year of free*

geekOCD said:
Couple of housing questions - given that many of us will be renting our first apartments in cleveland and don't have a renting history, are the landlords around case more flexible w/ typical credit/renting history requirements since we're med students? Also, there's a forum over in pre-allo where several people have said that cleveland is horrible for dog-owning (especially finding apartments that accept dogs). Any thoughts on this? (getting a pet, possibly a dog, is fairly important to me, so just wondering)
Can you have a parent co-sign for you if necessary? You may need a co-signer if you have no rental history and no income, which of course you won't. :p They will probably also require you to pay a deposit along with the first and last month's rent. Another option would be to move in with an older student who has already been living there and is looking for a roommate. This would help you avoid these problems.

I don't know what to tell you about getting a dog; I have two cats myself. But I would suggest waiting to get a dog until after you've been in school for a while so that you know you'll have enough time to spend with a dog. You may find that you're just too busy; that's a big part of why I ended up with cats instead of a dog myself.

Unfortunately, I can't get a parent to co-sign. It worries me. The add'l problem regarding the dog is that the type of dog I'm interested in adopting is a big breed so I'd have to make sure I get an apartment that allows large dogs, although I may not end up with a large dog. If I move in w/ a roommate then my doggie plans may be shot, which is a pity. *shrug* I'll also be getting an apt. within walking distance although I'll hopefully be able to get a car when I'm there. Essentially I'll be covering my bases =)

Anyone else flying in early for the second look weekend to get better airfare? I'm noticing that pricies are a bit high, possibly because that weekend is spring break for a lot of people?

Prospero said:
Anyone else flying in early for the second look weekend to get better airfare? I'm noticing that pricies are a bit high, possibly because that weekend is spring break for a lot of people?

My tickets were $411. Yikes!

QofQuimica said:
Wow, that sucks. Did you guys use Orbitz or some service like that and you still couldn't come up with a better price? Because mine were like half that.

Yes we did. It's spring break, and we've go further to go. More gas I guess! The stupid plane's so full I can't even sit with my wife on the way out... I guess we'll be getting to the airport early and hoping for a couple of exit row seats!

What are you doing up at 4:30 AM?

I actually used a search engine for the search engines. Travelzoo.com i think is what it was. That way I only had to put in my information once rather than for each site, and I was able to search orbitz, travelocity, priceline, american airlines, etc. Anyway, I managed my tickets for $320, but like I said, I am flying in a day early too... at least I get a vacation from work!

robh said:
Yes we did. It's spring break, and we've go further to go. More gas I guess! The stupid plane's so full I can't even sit with my wife on the way out... I guess we'll be getting to the airport early and hoping for a couple of exit row seats!

What are you doing up at 4:30 AM?
:laugh: It was only 2:30 when I posted. But *your* message shows up as being posted at 4:30. You westerners, you. :p

I guess one other thing we hadn't considered is that FL is a huge spring break destination....so several discount airlines like Southwest offer sales this time of year. My suspicion is that my flight up to Cleveland will be very empty....and my flight home will be very, very full. :smuggrin:

Howdy all.

I actually have a somewhat funny story. I pulled an all-nighter for a couple of papers Wednesday night (because I also had a medicinal chemistry exam Tuesday which took away my weekend). So, on Thursday night after classes I was exhausted and took a nap from 7-10pm. At some point in there, someone from Case calls me and talks to me about 2nd look weekend and asks if I have any questions, etc. Problem is, I was pretty much asleep while talking to him. I went back to sleep after talking to him. I woke up at 10pm and I was like... "Did I talk to someone from Case?" I thought it was a dream but my parents told me later that someone called my house from Case and they told him to call me at school. Soooooo I've been trying to reconstruct what happened, lol. I THINK it was the awesome MD/PhD student who interviewed me at Case... so I'm going to try and get in touch with him and explain my probably drugged-sounding responses during our telephone conversation. :)

I don't know if I'll be going to the second look weekend, though... I love Case, it's probably my top choice. It'll ultimately come down to finances, though. I hope I have the privilege of meeting all of you, whether it is at Case or not!

Peace.

I actually haven't bought my plane tix yet. They're so expensive! I don't think the price will go up any further, so I'm hoping it'll come down a bit. Not sure when I'll give up and pay up...=(

I think you definitely want to buy at least 14 days in advance, from what I've heard. 21 days is better, i think pretty much all airlines give the best deals that far out. But that's just been my experience. Good luck finding a decent fare, its a pain!

Thanks, I actually just bought my tickets today. I'm definitely looking forward to the weekend and getting a better sense of the school, our class, cleveland, etc.

So does anyone know anything about this doc opera thing they have during the second look weekend? Just curious what to expect/look forward to (hopefully).

I'm looking forward to seeing Doc Opera...seems like a large show put on by the students (2nd years?) where they use theater, music, and dance to parody the med school, cleveland, etc. The show has a website: http://www.case.edu/orgs/docopera/. Don't think it's been updated much since 2005, but the photos look crazy!

geekOCD said:
I'm looking forward to seeing Doc Opera...seems like a large show put on by the students (2nd years?) where they use theater, music, and dance to parody the med school, cleveland, etc. The show has a website: http://www.case.edu/orgs/docopera/. Don't think it's been updated much since 2005, but the photos look crazy!
That sounds cool. When do they do that?

This year it's on the 25th, conveniently landing in the middle of Second Look. ;)

Yup, it's Saturday but no idea about the time. It's not even listed (the time) in our 2nd look agendas.

We've got about a week to go, time for a roll call! Who else will be at Second Look? Also, has anyone heard anything about the hotel rooms?

Admissions office told us at current there are about 100 people registered for 2nd look with up to 130 or so possibly coming. Seems to be about the same # as last year. Last year they put you guys up at the intercontinental hotel suites next to cleveland clinic. I'm guessing it'll be the same this year since there isnt another nice hotel nearby. Hope to see some of y'all there. Case is great!

exmike said:
Admissions office told us at current there are about 100 people registered for 2nd look with up to 130 or so possibly coming. Seems to be about the same # as last year. Last year they put you guys up at the intercontinental hotel suites next to cleveland clinic. I'm guessing it'll be the same this year since there isnt another nice hotel nearby. Hope to see some of y'all there. Case is great!
It's an awesome hotel; that's where I stayed when I interviewed. :thumbup: Just so you all know, they have a free shuttle and they will take you over to the Case campus. You don't need to get a cab or anything. :)

Edit: Exmike, does your signature mean that you're halfway through your third year? How are the rotations going?

I'll be there, but I think that was fairly obvious before :)
Good to hear that there will be a pretty good turn out (or what I consider to be one anyway!)

Looking over the 2nd look stuff, looks like our rooms are already confirmed. Anyone know if that hotel has an airport shuttle, is it accessible by train, or do we need to pay for a taxi? If the latter, is anyone else getting in around 12-12:30pm? =)

geekOCD said:
Looking over the 2nd look stuff, looks like our rooms are already confirmed. Anyone know if that hotel has an airport shuttle, is it accessible by train, or do we need to pay for a taxi? If the latter, is anyone else getting in around 12-12:30pm? =)
Hmm, there is definitely a train. But I'm not sure whether it goes to the Cleveland Clinic campus though; I was staying with a student my last night and she lived near a station. I took a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The hotel does not have an airport shuttle as far as I know. Can any of you current Case students tell us whether the train has a stop at the Cleveland Clinic?

geekOCD said:

I know you can take a train from the airport to, I think, University Circle which is pretty close. But how to get from there to the hotel. I dunno

yay free alcohol!

mission of second look weekend: getting Q drunk. yeah yeah, and learning more about the school, blah blah blah

Looking forward to meeting all you guys :)

MrBurns10 said:
yay free alcohol!

mission of second look weekend: getting Q drunk. yeah yeah, and learning more about the school, blah blah blah

Looking forward to meeting all you guys :)
:oops: We'd better hope caveman doesn't see this.

Ok, here's the travel info from my interview email:

If you are traveling by AIR: You can take a taxi from the airport to the Cleveland Clinic campus (see section of HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS for specific hotel locations on the Cleveland Clinic campus). The taxi fare is approximately $30.00 one way. A less expensive option of getting to the campus is to take the RTA Rail/Rapid Transit (fare $1.50) from Cleveland Hopkins Airport to Tower City in downtown Cleveland followed by a taxi ride to the Cleveland Clinic campus approximately $8.00.

So it looks like there is not a direct stop on campus if you take the train.

QofQuimica said:
:oops: We'd better hope caveman doesn't see this.

Ok, here's the travel info from my interview email:

If you are traveling by AIR: You can take a taxi from the airport to the Cleveland Clinic campus (see section of HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS for specific hotel locations on the Cleveland Clinic campus). The taxi fare is approximately $30.00 one way. A less expensive option of getting to the campus is to take the RTA Rail/Rapid Transit (fare $1.50) from Cleveland Hopkins Airport to Tower City in downtown Cleveland followed by a taxi ride to the Cleveland Clinic campus approximately $8.00.

So it looks like there is not a direct stop on campus if you take the train.

Q my 2.5 means im halfway through my 2nd year.. well 3/4 at this junction. I guess its misleading hmm?

Just to let you guys know, there aren't THAT many cabs coming out of university circle rapid stop. Word of advice though. When you get off the train, turn LEFT after you exit the train and take the rear exit out of platform. Then you'll exit on the side where the busses and taxi's come by. If you take the FRONT exit from the platform you'll end up on the east side of euclid heights which has no cabs/busses.

Another option would be to catch a cab from tower city downtown. It would be about 10 minutes to the Clinic from tower city.

Thanks for the info guys. So mike, in your opinion, what's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport? Direct cab or RTA + cab?

RTA + cab, dont waste $30 when you can pay $8 + $1.50

on another note, the case match list is out. looks impressive yet again

Case Western Match List in the "specialties"

132 students

13 - Diagnostic Radiology
13 - Emergency Med
9 - Anesthesia
7 - Gen Surg
6 - Orthopedic Surgery
5 - Dermatology
5 - Ophthalmology
4 - Neurology
3 - ENT
2 - Neurosurgery
2 - OMFS
1 - Plastic
1 - Urology

Sniff Sniff +pissed+
I have some previous engagements going on this weekend that are thesis-related so I can't go. I'm sad. Would have loved to meet all of you so soon! Let me know how you liked it!