Case Western SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No kidding... I wonder why?

Members don't see this ad.

anybody know when the hold people are gonna find out thier status?

soon i assume

has anyone thought about where they're going to live their first year? i feel that i need to get on it soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
With housing, I have a hard time knowing what's walking distance (and then, is it 5min, 10min, etc.?) or not. I'll be up there in early june though so hopefully I can figure stuff out then.

geekOCD said:
With housing, I have a hard time knowing what's walking distance (and then, is it 5min, 10min, etc.?) or not. I'll be up there in early june though so hopefully I can figure stuff out then.

Welcome to Case :)

If you want to live within walking distance (which I'd highly recommend), I'd look for apartments either on Overlook Road or near Overlook in Cleveland Heights. It's about a 12 - 15 minute walk to campus, and is lined with cute 4 or 5 story apartments where a lot of med students live. Most of my friends who live elsewhere are actually moving onto Overlook Road for our second year. I'd also recommend looking at apartments other than Waldorf (which is where a good number of students end up by default their first year, and end up moving out of their second year) - you can find cheaper rent, nicer apartments, and better maintenance and service if you search around. I'd also recommend finding an apartment that includes heat with the rent.

I used the website http://www.clevelandrents.com/cleveland_ohio_rent_search/index.php?rid=19 to check out housing options last year.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Anyone know when they give out the list people looking for potential apartment mates? Most of the apartments close to Case seem waay outta my budget ! :eek:

Awake1022 said:
Anyone know when they give out the list people looking for potential apartment mates? Most of the apartments close to Case seem waay outta my budget ! :eek:

how do we get on this list?

toolstarjm said:
how do we get on this list?
Call the admissions office. They have a folder with profiles of potential roommates. You can fill out a form and mail it in or do it over the phone i think.

Awake1022 said:

My roommnate and I are each paying $405/mo. including heat, not including electricity (on average $30/mo) for a beautiful, large double on Overlook. If you are looking for something cheaper, you can either look in Little Italy (very close to school, but Cleveland Heights may be a bit safer) or in Shaker Heights, which is a drive away but cheaper as well.

In addition to getting in touch with the admissions office, you can look for people to room with from SDN as well - three of my classmates who are living in a duplex together this year as well as next year met on SDN :p

Awake1022 said:

Hey, I live in Shaker heights and pay 550/month for a 1 bedroom apartment heat included and rent from www.montlackrealty.com which has a lot of apartments in this area so that may be an option.

leiface said:
Hey, I live in Shaker heights and pay 550/month for a 1 bedroom apartment heat included and rent from www.montlackrealty.com which has a lot of apartments in this area so that may be an option.

thanks for all the info!

leiface, you did undergrad at washu? i'm currently a student here

toolstarjm said:
thanks for all the info!

leiface, you did undergrad at washu? i'm currently a student here

Yup class of 2005!! :) I just pmed you.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is directed those of you who went to second look weekend and had a chance to get more details on Case's new curriculum. What sorta grading and exam system are they planning on using (besides the fact that it'll require a real expensive laptop,hehe).

The first two years are P/F, just like they have been. 65% baby!

In terms of grading/exams, they said we'll have regular quizzes throughout blocks and then exams at the ends of the blocks.

edit: I forgot that those quizzes and exam questions will all be NBME board questions b/c due to our new curriculum, Case has a unique partnership with the NBME which will result in us getting a ton of boards practice, and them figuring out how to test us based on the new curriculum. This was actually one of the most impressive things we learned during 2nd look - that the NBME believes in the new case curriculum and thinks it'll go far and thus they are working with case, exclusively, starting our year.

geekOCD said:
In terms of grading/exams, they said we'll have regular quizzes throughout blocks and then exams at the ends of the blocks.

edit: I forgot that those quizzes and exam questions will all be NBME board questions b/c due to our new curriculum, Case has a unique partnership with the NBME which will result in us getting a ton of boards practice, and them figuring out how to test us based on the new curriculum. This was actually one of the most impressive things we learned during 2nd look - that the NBME believes in the new case curriculum and thinks it'll go far and thus they are working with case, exclusively, starting our year.

Case is also developing the clinical curriculum examinations with the NBME to reflect the Step 2CK - Apparently Case is the only school that is offering this at this time. The evaluation exams will be developed by Case faculty directly from questions used on the Step 2CK. It will be a better reflection of the Step 2CK than traditional shelf exams.

Anyone else get the weird letter/brochure from case today? They're inviting me to apply for a program to become an Anesthesiologist Assistant. :rolleyes: Then again, the letter says *starting* salary for anesthesiologist assistants is $110,000 at 40hrs/wk vs. 250K of debt and 60+ hr weeks, so maybe I am heading into the wrong profession. :p

So, anyone get that housing list from Case, the one with people interested in coleasing apartments, etc. ?

I think you can call admissions & they keep a list. Or find a roommate through SDN =)

geekOCD said:
I think you can call admissions & they keep a list. Or find a roommate through SDN =)

For all you guys searching for apartments and looking for a roommate or furniture, all incoming students should be receiving an email soon that will have a link to an online forum just for Case students to discuss this sort of stuff. Just a heads up and no worries, you will be hearing from the admissions office very soon!

Question: anyone remember what date in july they said (at 2nd look) our loans would be disbursed at the earliest?

also: great job w/ the website/board and the New Student's Guide to Cleveland! Seriously, that guide is awesome.

Hey guys and girls,

Pardon me but i'm going to hijack your thread for a second... I'm going to be a M1 down the street at the Clinic and was wondering if anyone was interested in rooming with someone you wont see in class everyday :laugh: . I think it would be cool to live with someone from the university program. I've been looking and I was thinking of buying, but i think that will be too much of a pain in the a$$. So i've come across these apartments in the downtown warehouse district that seem to be really nice ( www.thebingham.com ). I was wondering if anyone was interested in possibly getting a 2-bedroom there. Guy or girl, doesn't really matter to me, i've lived with both throughout college and after(I'm a 25 yo male). They are a little more expensive (~$1250/mo) and you would need a car to get to school (i'll need one anyways so no biggie for me). I've inquired as to what utilities are included and I should hear at the beginning of the week. PM me if you are interested.

Jim

Hi current potential classmates. I have just been, after 8 months of patiently waiting, been accepted off the waitlist today. I am 99% sure that I will be at case in the fall, but i have to make sure that i don´t want to stay near home at my state school. Anyway, just wanted to present myself, hope all is well, and we´ll see each other in july. (man that is awefully early!)

happygirldoc said:
Hi current potential classmates. I have just been, after 8 months of patiently waiting, been accepted off the waitlist today. I am 99% sure that I will be at case in the fall, but i have to make sure that i don´t want to stay near home at my state school. Anyway, just wanted to present myself, hope all is well, and we´ll see each other in july. (man that is awefully early!)

hi everyone,
i, like happygirl, was accepted off the waitlist today after months and months of hearing nada. for the past few months i've been preparing myself to go to osu without really putting much thought into the possibility of attending case, and now that the opportunity has presented itself, i'm lost. since i interviewed such a long time ago, i'm having trouble remembering how i felt at the school and interview day and my overall thoughts of the school, curriculum, and cleveland. i feel pretty uninformed about the changes to the curriculum (just haven't put effort into learning about it since i didn't think i'd need to) so i'm wondering if you guys could help me out. it appears to me that they are trying to move away from a lecture-type learning environment and into a more PBL, "self-directed" or group learning idea. what are you guys' thoughts on it, particularly those who are more of a lecture learner like myself?

sorry, for some reason this post repeated itself...

I was also accepted off the waitlist yesterday. Can't wait... :)

ultimatekooda said:
hi everyone,
i, like happygirl, was accepted off the waitlist today after months and months of hearing nada. for the past few months i've been preparing myself to go to osu without really putting much thought into the possibility of attending case, and now that the opportunity has presented itself, i'm lost. since i interviewed such a long time ago, i'm having trouble remembering how i felt at the school and interview day and my overall thoughts of the school, curriculum, and cleveland. i feel pretty uninformed about the changes to the curriculum (just haven't put effort into learning about it since i didn't think i'd need to) so i'm wondering if you guys could help me out. it appears to me that they are trying to move away from a lecture-type learning environment and into a more PBL, "self-directed" or group learning idea. what are you guys' thoughts on it, particularly those who are more of a lecture learner like myself?

hey, check out this website...hopefully this will help you gain a better idea of what the curriculum will look like. you are right about it shifting towards a more PBL oriented one. i remember them saying that for the incoming class it'll be about 70% PBL and 30% lectures.
http://casemed.case.edu/curricularaffairs/newcurriculum/index.htm

Hey everyone!
I got off the waitlist yesterday, and will def be attending Case in July. I haven't looked at all the housing resources yet, but I am def interested in finding a female roommate, so let me know if you'd be interested. I grew up in Cleveland (18 years here), did my undergrad at case, and have worked at UH and CCF for research so if you guys have ANY questions about cleveland or case, feel free to ask! I look forward to meeting all of you soon! :)
Dr. V

TheMightyAngus said:
Does anyone have any input into which laptop to choose (Toshiba, Dell, or Apple)? Dell is the cheapest, so I'm leaning towards that one. Anyone have a preference?

My computer knowledge stopped at Nintendo, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Well, there are a few small differences with the toshiba vs. dell, and one big difference. Small differences: the toshiba has a smaller screen and is thus a little easier to carry around, but the 14" screen from dell isn't a huge diff. (i.e. it's not like comparing 12" to 17"). The toshiba also has a DVD burner as opposed to dell's DVD player - this may be important to you if you need to burn or move around large amounts of data (movies, mp3s, etc.). However, given that there's SUCH a huge price difference between the two, I'd recommend that if you care about the DVD burner, you just get the dell laptop and buy an upgraded drive later (or an external DVD burner which can just sit on your desk). It'll still be much cheaper. The big difference btw. the toshiba and the dell (and the reason for the big $$ difference) is that the toshiba is a tablet pc, so it's a touch screen, and can be flipped around and turned flat so you can write on it (like adding notes to slides or taking notes in class). While this is a pretty neat feature, a) tablet pcs are still pretty new and don't have perfect implementation yet, and b) it doesn't seem that important to you, so I wouldn't bother. Basically, you're paying $700 for the tablet use, so if it doesn't matter much to you, or if tablet is just a slight benefit, I would say don't bother. (just so you know my biases: I'm probably buying a higher spec non-recommended laptop, although I could've sworn that they were selling the dell for like $1800, but now it says it's $1500 which isn't a bad price at all for that laptop. Might be cheaper for me to get it and upgrade it...)

Also, welcome to everyone who just got in! Not sure if they sent you guys the info. packet we all recently got yet, but Case set up a separate website for admitted students w/ its own message boards and such. Besides meeting your fellow students, there's some good info there (like a 43p. guide to cleveland that the med students made). If you're interested in the link, just PM me.

And regarding PBL/CBL/"case learning groups" ...yeah, I think a lot of us (at least, at 2nd look) were worried about them b/c no one knows whether they'll like or hate it until they do it. But current case students seemed to mostly like them. I mean, sometimes you have a crappy group or preceptor, but overall they seemed to be effective. *shrug* It's a risk that we're all taking, I guess. But you'll be in good company if you do come =) G'luck w/ your decision!

edit: :) I know this is already long, but when I was just at the case website to look up computer stuff, I noticed that they put up a link to a website about Orientation: http://casemed.case.edu/orientation/

Hey Guys! Anyway, do you think I could buy an IBM instead of a Dell? It sucks a lot that we have to get new computers just because I got an awesome IBM a year and a half ago and now I have to get another one because mine isn´t "up to standards". Anyway, I had a dell in undergrad and I can tell you that it was probably the WORST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT that i had in my life, I replaced every piece of hardware that came with the computer in 3 years! But, I have much faith in the IBM so if it fits standards, then it should be ok right??

Do you think that early june would be too late to start looking for a place? I really want to find a perfect place, and hopefully roommate, but I am out of the country until the end of the month.

As for the curriculum, I figure that it´s worth taking a risk and I´m really pumped about it. I went to a small liberal arts college with a lot of small group stuff, class discussion, research, professor interaction, and I have to say that I got SO much out of my education that my friends at bigger schools didn´t get. I just feel like the curriculum is good for people like me who like to learn multi-disciplinarily.

And the chat room thing, it won´t let me sign in with my code that it sent to my email address. So, I´m trying to sign up!!

Ok, have great weeks!

I am so excited to meet you guys!!

hey. I was just recently accepted off of the waitlist from case as well and will most likely be there in the fall. I am currently really interested in doing the MD/MS in applied anatomy at case. Does anyone have any personal experience/info on this other than the website? Also, I vaguely remember my student interviewer mentioning that if you do a double degree they waive your thesis requirement to ensure adequate preparation for your double degree--anyone know if this is correct? Thanks for any and all input into this.

Using your IBM laptop should be fine as long as it meets the required specs (which are actually fairly high-end for laptops): 1.8ghz processor, 80gb hard drive, and 1gb ram. I'm also going to start looking for a place in early June. During 2nd look they said that housing was very available in cleveland and that we could literally show up the day before orientation starts and find a place close to campus (it just might not have the best view, etc.).

JonnyWise - I'm interested in the MD/MPH so I've asked about this too, and yes, the thesis requirement will be waived (well, actually, your masters thesis will count as your med school thesis). Which is pretty neat b/c you can use the 4mo. long research block to do masters level research which (I would think) will free up some time in the masters program, or at least, let you do longer, more involved research (if that's your thing. You could also take a vacation, maybe :))

side note: anyone else think that perhaps the most exciting non-medical aspect of being in cleveland is king james fever? uh yeah... witnesses to the rise of a 20-year old manchild who may very well be remembered as the greatest player ever? NBA may be boring compared to NCAA but i'm still pretty stoked...

Hey guys,

Congrats to everyone who got off the waitlist. It's going to be exciting to see everyone this July. I just got back from Cleveland tonight. I spent a day looking over several apartments and I ended up picking a large studio in the Lewis Manor building on Overlook drive. It's only a 12-15 minute walk to the med school which was a big plus for me. Also, there's free parking and and an exercise room. Can't wait to move in July 1 !

Hooba - do you know if Lewis Manor allows dogs?

edit: btw, great photos! I'm curious about how you got some of them (like of the top of the chrysler building. You have a good eye, and some great shots of my home-city =)

geekOCD said:
Hooba - do you know if Lewis Manor allows dogs?

edit: btw, great photos! I'm curious about how you got some of them (like of the top of the chrysler building. You have a good eye, and some great shots of my home-city =)

geekOCD,
http://studentaffairs.case.edu/living/services/aloha/search/details.aspx?ListingID=57
I checked out their listing and apparently no dogs allowed. I think you're gonna have a hard time finding an apartment that allows dogs. All the ones I've seen so far on the net allow cats only. Maybe somebody on the forum knows a place that allows dogs.

That shot of the chrysler buidling is a favorite of mine. I took that shot when I first got into photography. It was taken from the Empire State building around sunset. I'm glad you enjoyed the NYC photos. NYC is definetly one of my favorite places to shoot.

If you go on the Aloha search that Case has set up, then you can select for places that allow dogs, just click on the "more options" link right under the search button. That's where my room mate and I found the place we'll be moving in to with my dog.

hi all,
I am looking for a roomie for a 2bd 2bth condo in the western suburbs.....PM for more details....

Hey all - I called financial aid today to ask about some stuff and found out that the new estimate for the earliest time our loans will be disbursed is the *first* week of july (the 4-7th). Hope that helps someone else out =)

Also, I'm looking for a female roommate who wants to live within walking distance of campus (ideally, in a 2br, 2bath). Please PM me if you're interested!

geekOCD said:
Hey all - I called financial aid today to ask about some stuff and found out that the new estimate for the earliest time our loans will be disbursed is the *first* week of july (the 4-7th). Hope that helps someone else out =)

Also, I'm looking for a female roommate who wants to live within walking distance of campus (ideally, in a 2br, 2bath). Please PM me if you're interested!

Make sure you post it in the Case SOM Student Forums. A lot of the incoming class seem to be signing into the forum

http://casemed.proboards102.com/index.cgi

is everyone buying one of those laptops that case is offering discounts on?

toolstarjm said:
is everyone buying one of those laptops that case is offering discounts on?

I'm not. I'm going to get a non-toshiba tablet pc, leaning towards either the acer c314 (which has a bigger screen than I need and is kinda heavy) or one from fujitsu (haven't decided on a model). What about you?

geekOCD said:
I'm not. I'm going to get a non-toshiba tablet pc, leaning towards either the acer c314 (which has a bigger screen than I need and is kinda heavy) or one from fujitsu (haven't decided on a model). What about you?

i'm not sure. i currently have an inspiron 700m. i bought it a year ago and just e-mailed that David Pilasky guy asking if my specs were okay. He said that it is acceptable but probably recommends I get one through them sine the inspirons aren't built as strongly as the latitudes (which is what they are selling). So I don't know what to do. I think my laptop is fine. I just don't want to run into any problems in the middle of the school year.

I have a new Apple Macbook Pro, but got it through my school's education discount, which is the same as Case's. I'd recommend Apples for a couple reasons. One, size/portability... nothing really beats how thin and sleek they are. Two, and most important to me, is Mac OSX... I never really realized all the benefits of Mac OS until I made the switch. Stability, user interface, and convenience features are just a few of the big advantages it has over Windows. And third, although I rarely use it, I was able to install Windows on my Macbook with Apple's new Boot Camp utility, which allows me to pick which OS to boot to. It's really the best of both worlds, in that respect, especially since some programs are Windows-only. But as far as basic features such as CPU/HDD/RAM specs go, you should be fine with any modern laptop. My two cents... good luck.

I think I'll use the student apple discount to get a new Macbook. The Macbooks Pro is way to expensive for me. A top of the line Macbook with Apple Care will cost me about $1500 as apposed to over $2000 for the Macbook Pro.

macs would be great but i feel so useless whenever i use one. i feel that i know how to get around with windows really well. i think my parents know how to operate their home computer more than i know how to operate a mac :oops: