#Case_02 / Laparotomy for a patient with a pacemaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAmir0078

"Thank You"
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Fellows,
I hope you are doing well; as you know, I am always (hopefully will continue), like to write and discuss our unique cases with you, and as you know me!

Today's case is kind of interesting, and now is 0315 AM Iraq Local Time and we just finished an hour ago an emergency case of laparotomy for an old age patient with a pacemaker (Question brought up - Anesthetic consideration and guidelines to deal with patient with pacemaker?) !

Let's start:

65+ Years old, male patient, 80+ Kg, presented with Acute abdomen (NG tube was in).
Past Medical History : Hypertension, Diabetes II [10 years ago, survived from a cardiac standstill and successful CPR was done, ended up to get a Pacemaker and was done in a nearby country - last time was programmed 9 months ago - the patient told us he had slowing of his heart rate and illness of the electrical bundles of his heart, and that was the reason his Physician install a pacemaker / per patient knowledge]
He is taking a list of Antihypertensive medication (was not available at the time of presentation), and also two other medication for DM + recently adding Insulin.

His Vital Signs : PR 110+/min - RR 16/min - BP 155/95 mmgh - SPO2 96%

Due to the emergency setting, and the availability of necessary medication, we (my Attending and me were discussing the plan of Anesthesia, to avoid sympathomimetics, really it was a challenge, because only Pethidine was available as an opioid, beside our regular anesthesia medications, and unfortunately no thiopental available too, or vecuronium as a choice of muscle relaxants or isoprenaline - just in case; addressing to avoid using unipolar cautery by the surgeon, although Medicine team was consulted and assured us, but still), we were planning to fight with the following medications:

Pre-Medication and Induction :
- Pethidine 50 mg IV
- Ketamine 30 mg (very cautious)
- Propofol 100 mg, then followed by 50 mg
- Rocuronium 30 mg

Monitoring: EKG on Lead II showing Tachycardia with wide spikey rhythm (almost like this image) - Credit :ECGpedia https://en.ecgpedia.org/images/0/0b/Pacemaker_mediated_tachycardia.svg

Difficult intubation (one of the most difficult one for me), myself I had to use stylet (honestly blindly, with even shoulders elevation and neck manipulation - extension !

Maintenance:
- Isoflurane 1.2%
- Ringer IV fluid

Machine set : On Volume Control, FGF=7 Lt (previously discussed, it is a semi-closed circuit, to wash out the gases with such high FGF and no Soda Lime nor scavenging system), Tidal Volume was set per lean body weight 550, rate was 16, then 12/ min, Peep 4, I:R = 1:2

Events:
- SPO2 didn't change and was in very good shape (no Capnography - was broken) : 98 - 100 %
- Two separate doses of muscle relaxants were given, because surgeon was in need of ms. relaxants, beside it ended up with colostomy.
- Blood Pressure, we experienced during the mid time, a rapid drop in the blood pressure and had reached to 75/35 mmgh, I addressed the use of Normal Saline (Glucose Saline was available and was given), then I changed the RR to 10 then to 12, the blood pressure get elevated gradually to reach 155/90, then suddenly before they closed the abdomen peaked to 205/120 mmgh, here I addressed to give another bolus of Propofol 30 mg to deepen the anesthesia, blood pressure then came back 135/85 mmgh and the pulse rate was fluctuating between 110 - 130 b/min

Operation Done.

Extubation:
- Done smoothly, patient fully recovered and his vital signs were almost the same pre-operatively despite the SPO2 was 92% , his BP was 150/85, his PR 110/min

Patient was sent to the Surgery ward - no ICU bed available - but instruction was give to get Oxygen by cannula 2 Lt and to get hourly charting of his vital signs!

--------------------------------------

Thanks for reading me

Your comments are valuable, your consideration, your way to manage the case vs alternatives ?

Love and Peace
Amir

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As far as the pacemaker goes, you simply need to know if the patient is pacer dependent. This would be from a recent interrogation report, or see what the current rythym is on the telemetry mknitor. If he has an intrinsic rythym that generates adequate cardiac output without the pacemaker, you can proceed to surgery and even if there is electrical interference from the cautery he will be fine with his intrinsic rythym.

I’m curious from your history if it is also an ICD since he had a cardiac arrest. Any chance you guys got a chest X day before surgery to identify the device?

Reactions: 1 user
As far as the pacemaker goes, you simply need to know if the patient is pacer dependent. This would be from a recent interrogation report, or see what the current rythym is on the telemetry mknitor. If he has an intrinsic rythym that generates adequate cardiac output without the pacemaker, you can proceed to surgery and even if there is electrical interference from the cautery he will be fine with his intrinsic rythym.

I’m curious from your history if it is also an ICD since he had a cardiac arrest. Any chance you guys got a chest X day before surgery to identify the device?
Thanks for the quick response
Probably, he got a chest X-ray and other investigations - we didn't see it - we asked for EKG too, time was running fast, but never thought, for me especially to know the type of pacemaker by looking at the X-ray!

He was Tachy, spiky wide QRS, no P wave on EKG monitor, same as the picture url above !

The report was missing, all his medical info left at home - Emergency!
Beside, his pacemaker was done in another Country! No Info Card was given per his saying and I doubt it!

Yes, I and my Attending were questioning the type, could've be an ICD, and that was my first question to him, did the device shock you like, told you it generate shock like? His answer was none!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea if it was ICD, the cautery can trigger shocks.
also i see you used rocuronium for paralysis, were you guys mask ventilating with the NG tube in prior to intubation?

Thanks for the quick response
Probably, he got a chest X-ray and other investigations - we didn't see it - we asked for EKG too, time was running fast, but never thought, for me especially to know the type of pacemaker by looking at the X-ray!

He was Tachy, spiky wide QRS, no P wave on EKG monitor, same as the picture url above !

The report was missing, all his medical info left at home - Emergency!
Beside, his pacemaker was done in another Country! No Info Card was given per his saying and I doubt it!

Yes, I and my Attending were questioning the type, could've be an ICD, and that was my first question to him, did the device shock you like, told you it generate shock like? His answer was none!

Also, we can speculate that the pacer is likely a dual chamber pacer from your description. Tachycardia with wide qrs and a pacer spike before the qrs resembling a LBBB suggests that he has a lead in the RV. No single lead pacer would be set to such a high rate to make him tachycardic, so he probably has an atrial lead that is sensing. Your description makes me concerned that he might have complete heart block and be paced permenantly, so I might be concerned if there was interference in the OR about what might happen. Might have been safest to have the device reprogrammed, or place a magnet to do asynchronous pacing.

Reactions: 2 users
yea if it was ICD, the cautery can trigger shocks.
also i see you used rocuronium for paralysis, were you guys mask ventilating with the NG tube in prior to intubation?
Good to know, so ICD is the one that trigger shocks, but we were uncertain of the type!
Yes, he was presenting with NG tube, we did Preoxygenation prior to intubation. We addressed Ventilation first!
He was difficult to tube!

Also, we can speculate that the pacer is likely a dual chamber pacer from your description. Tachycardia with wide qrs and a pacer spike before the qrs resembling a LBBB suggests that he has a lead in the RV. No single lead pacer would be set to such a high rate to make him tachycardic, so he probably has an atrial lead that is sensing. Your description makes me concerned that he might have complete heart block and be paced permenantly, so I might be concerned if there was interference in the OR about what might happen. Might have been safest to have the device reprogrammed, or place a magnet to do asynchronous pacing.
Probably what he said "bundle illness", as I mentioned, and like what you conclude he might have complete block and paced permanently.
Still, the shape resemble LBBB, but with his acute abdomen evoked tachycardia, but still wondering if it was functioning properly!
Medical Team was assuring us, but can't tell vs we in Anaesthesia as anaesthiologists can use magnet for such condition, will you do it where you are?

Many Thanks

Also, we can speculate that the pacer is likely a dual chamber pacer from your description. Tachycardia with wide qrs and a pacer spike before the qrs resembling a LBBB suggests that he has a lead in the RV. No single lead pacer would be set to such a high rate to make him tachycardic, so he probably has an atrial lead that is sensing.

Agreed...should be able to see a p wave in that case, tho.

True,
It was my fault not to picture the ECG for records, but from my description and reading here, it could've be a Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia

Tachycardia in the presence of a pacemaker

Well, I wouldn't go there just yet. If there are just p waves in front of each pacer spike, and not afib/flutter the thing to do would be to treat the atrial tachycardia if necessary as you normally would (narcotic, volume etc...)This is all assuming that there is an atrial lead that is sensing. You could just look at a chest xray to confirm one is there.

Well, I wouldn't go there just yet. If there are just p waves in front of each pacer spike, and not afib/flutter the thing to do would be to treat the atrial tachycardia if necessary as you normally would (narcotic, volume etc...)This is all assuming that there is an atrial lead that is sensing. You could just look at a chest xray to confirm one is there.

After reading, I figured out that the pacemaker would also follow the physiological changes in the body by sensing, like in my presenting case patient he had acute abdomen, so physiological changes for acute abdomen, tachycardia is mandatory; so probably what I have seen it was a normal response for his pacemaker to act out like that (am I talking right?)

The lower rate limit for many patients with pacemakers is usually 60-70; however, a normal response to decreased systemic vascular resistance and hypovolemia is an increase in heart rate.Although placing a magnet may place the patient into an asynchronous mode, the rate may not meet the physiologic demands of the patient.
Quoted from the article sent by @bellevueperson "Managing Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs) During Perioperative Care"

However two points I have reached so far:

1- Knowing the type is essential, commonly are either Pacemaker (CIED) or ICD or combined or CRT.
2- Turning off these devices, it needs collaboration between the teams and the feasibility for the best interest of the patient (if he is dependent on these devices or not) and the providers. But, simply to avoid Monopolar cautery (at least 6 inches away or below the umbilicus is fine), but it can be used on short burst for several seconds (not continuous), becauses these devices requires several seconds to understand what's going on, to either defibrillate or etablish antitachycardiac pacing!
CRT one, is essential to improve CO, so it is important not to turn it off !

Amir, the feature you are talking about is called rate modulation. For ppl who are exercising or doing strenuous activity, it can increase the heart rate by sensing either increased respiratory rate or increased patient movement. It doesn't respond to physiologic (metabolic) derangement and it won't automatically increase the rate for an awake septic, acute abdomen if the pt is stationary and not tachypneic.

If you have a tachycardic pt with a dual chamber pacemaker, likely the device is sensing a high atrial rate and pacing the ventricle quickly at the upper limit of the set rate range. Pacemaker mediated tachycardia can be a complex diagnosis and likely should be done by an electrophysiologist who has interrogated the device.

Amir, the feature you are talking about is called rate modulation. For ppl who are exercising or doing strenuous activity, it can increase the heart rate by sensing either increased respiratory rate or increased patient movement. It doesn't respond to physiologic (metabolic) derangement and it won't automatically increase the rate for an awake septic, acute abdomen if the pt is stationary and not tachypneic.

If you have a tachycardic pt with a dual chamber pacemaker, likely the device is sensing a high atrial rate and pacing the ventricle quickly at the upper limit of the set rate range. Pacemaker mediated tachycardia can be a complex diagnosis and likely should be done by an electrophysiologist who has interrogated the device.
Great explanation Dr. Vector,
So, my patient with lack of ABG (unfortunately was broken too) first, and secondly he was over-weight with abdominal distention (actually, he had rectal tear due to enema because of bowel obstruction), his RR was 16, but could've more.
So from that quote (hypovolemia wasn't considered as an abnormal physiological changes that pacemaker should follow?
Well, so his profound tachycardia as I mentioned was due to setting his device higher, isn't it? But why?
Unfortunately, if he had his pacemaker was done in any Cardiovascular center in Iraq, he would have an info card, but was set in a different Country!
So, will you add extra plan with the availability of what I mentioned and proceed to anesthetic plan, or what we were doing is just acceptable.
I am trying to get his Xray and other info, but I couldn't, I went to see him yesterday and he was fine but his relatives didn't bring yet what I asked for (probably live far away)!
Will follow up with the case!
Many thanks Vector

Great explanation Dr. Vector,
So, my patient with lack of ABG (unfortunately was broken too) first, and secondly he was over-weight with abdominal distention (actually, he had rectal tear due to enema because of bowel obstruction), his RR was 16, but could've more.
So from that quote (hypovolemia wasn't considered as an abnormal physiological changes that pacemaker should follow?
Well, so his profound tachycardia as I mentioned was due to setting his device higher, isn't it? But why?
Unfortunately, if he had his pacemaker was done in any Cardiovascular center in Iraq, he would have an info card, but was set in a different Country!
So, will you add extra plan with the availability of what I mentioned and proceed to anesthetic plan, or what we were doing is just acceptable.
I am trying to get his Xray and other info, but I couldn't, I went to see him yesterday and he was fine but his relatives didn't bring yet what I asked for (probably live far away)!
Will follow up with the case!
Many thanks Vector

Rate modulation is important for those with sinus node dysfunction, so the discussion of rate modulation is likely irrelevant for your pt because your original post says that it was likely an AV or bundle problem. If your patient's sinus node is intact, then the pacemaker will take its cue from there as long as it's not set to an asynchronous mode. The ventricular rate for the pacemaker usually has a set range, for instance 60-130. If your pt was tachycardic to 120, it's likely because his sinus node was firing at 120 and the ventricular rate of 120 was within the parameters of the pacemaker.

As far as management for this case, I would've likely had a magnet in the room and just left the pacemaker alone, and made sure the grounding pad was on the leg. Modern ppms are pretty good at dealing with EMI, and I wouldn't be too worried especially if most of the bovieing was being done below the umbilicus. Putting on a magnet could be detrimental because likely he will default to a lower set rate (80), and clearly from a physiologic standpoint his body wants a high rate / high cardiac output with the sepsis.

Reactions: 1 users
Rate modulation is important for those with sinus node dysfunction, so the discussion of rate modulation is likely irrelevant for your pt because your original post says that it was likely an AV or bundle problem. If your patient's sinus node is intact, then the pacemaker will take its cue from there as long as it's not set to an asynchronous mode. The ventricular rate for the pacemaker usually has a set range, for instance 60-130. If your pt was tachycardic to 120, it's likely because his sinus node was firing at 120 and the ventricular rate of 120 was within the parameters of the pacemaker.

As far as management for this case, I would've likely had a magnet in the room and just left the pacemaker alone, and made sure the grounding pad was on the leg. Modern ppms are pretty good at dealing with EMI, and I wouldn't be too worried especially if most of the bovieing was being done below the umbilicus. Putting on a magnet could be detrimental because likely he will default to a lower set rate (80), and clearly from a physiologic standpoint his body wants a high rate / high cardiac output with the sepsis.

Great Dr. Vector,
Now I got it clearly, so he might a Tachycardia within the set limit of the Pacemaker.
But placing a magnet will shut off the malfunctioning sensing function of the pacemaker to (80 / min) depending on the prior original setting, and then it will work properly, it is used to rule out the malfunctioning (if any)!

Many thanks

An update :

1- I could get with the help of ward's intern who is taking care of him, the EKG strip (resting EKG) :
[Although, it is resting, which is completely different than the presenting one preoperatively]

O9sf7TD_nuPkTwX7JfBVXEw4kV0s2IM6sGzsc9xSR4BrJLUFjm_FJJx3fDghlowKiYRFJPktoYlzax_3Gi6iI9Xy7TQZim71fEvCXyJFLBzg0UEWyGL6_AcypxAflwFVkWEItFHxCWRjTI_DNU6MVrMDV0egFlZ1D37zq6ROgK0Pqj8RgfflsXi0WAmuZOoq--V4emAMU30Kgm9KcbIOSZMFxcQrzIKHdDt1CiW2R1fUNS6eCA6xrpiihaWXqEJUky5_TChscNjw56D5j4YX7vsCUNs_AGgQB2xoJ8w9cDW2vCE-xQDhH3XadRDIqA9PBS177H8ALQwQoNPJarlG0pN9noquOQixDlCjWcKXyDWxMAhlsdIRKVUKhVvyR8-D9Li8wGtPr48G4SukUanVYW7agJEOl8e-1VL64J29-4LmY9ut-6eiiu5f7MxQWUnyNGmxjKhX0upZq6boJyVmLvXi-PJQkAvbV9KLmqVf7HrFFrXdg-2nrWpebTaawjJOSzZ3GBLjX_sSuigh44evwRIBqz5-57anYRVsiHjxICBRZcqaGRhMiXVdSyudNj0qmZk_Nou8xlbRGXrkJWsvP6tXdBREL30lCiE7fjrl2-YOMXo2CXStz7Go-XuEElcjs8k-9dGhoO7cqe1SBgGHq5rNMg=w1729-h191-no

2- Could get his Device ID as it shows :

9v70FL3_72Gy6C24hcXbtQe9KtXp5yYQJ9sWSAghNGS-unTiba_ED2xBuRpzvy7mw46gYxY8I862jxkcVAFHPMZnH8l_T474zSWZdNzPTKeM1qyYwcUYsBam38ifwOFS0euqT1oC80GoFoOKS1lJfwlD0i-bw0AdUqUvP8QOLjo7SCd6rz2JH_Qw9G0Uo1UU4a-0ndMzmJ-7njgVYnwwtCqPjmClx4q2IRKcb0ZuUJ81_dpPMesy4bCEMvUil757UGk_9dwHyWKLBkj39GiGc9xcbobejQe-30mRSXSudT1BO9fnm323g0dIdQmHG_PShwUhWYaF5mVazdiX3HD7oq2uq4rNvaiwk7wbRfncEBH1QCLdzTkkli7eQl66dPBUxlIH9grd-H5qVRB6Q_ChvP7JX3vmsUQwb0wFNHE4E4HGjnH8wtwZfq47WhhPV0LUawA21jpM8Ik35_iAAOjidCgoA5ciPzFHFncSqkF6BVHOamk5c3OP3v6UjZOORSVm5IS8OW0o3jkWOuat80onb30ebbsPdIgKdQgsePLj7aTIIQp8i43qGfqmtAhOJOsxRE35WXP6F3BkugSqDzi5oMnFntsNyCd-gDW6IpecIr1RJvl9IfqCoY_pISke_PO9O-UZVWsrH3nWYyhyTGT37WCjQQ=w1031-h243-no

After searching the manufacturer's web, it appears :

SEDR01 Sensia DR | Medtronic CRHF Product Performance eSource