This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

The COVID-19 pandemic introduced a lot of previously unseen ethical dilemmas. Some individuals refuse to wear masks because they believe this infringes on their personal rights. Let's say that a patient with stroke symptoms decided to come to the emergency room. Upon entry to the hospital, the patient refuses to wear a mask inside.​

1. Should the hospital still allow the patient to be treated even though they can potentially be carrying COVID-19 and refuse to wear proper face covering?
  2. Why do you believe some individuals consider mask policies as infringing on their personal rights?
  3. Implementing mask policies in elementary schools and kindergartens is difficult given children often take them off. What do you think can possibly help implement those policies?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. This is a difficult situation. For one, this patient is have a stroke and time is of the essence. However, the patient is refusing the wear a mask during the pandemic and she could be carring/infect others with COVID 19. I would like to gather more information. If possible, I would in a nonjudgemental tone and in private ask if this patient has experienced any COVID symptoms. I would also take her temperature. If she says no, then we could treat her for the stroke and then during recovery strongly discuss and require wearing a mask since time is of the essence at this time. If patient says yes, then I would still perform the treatment in proper PPE and provide her an emergency room in isolation away from the others since time is of the essence. I would as mentioned, during recovery, strongly discuss and require wearing a masik. In this situation, it is important to ensure prompt treatmet with stroke patients but also ensure the protection for other patients and myself in the ER during the pandemic.
  2. I believe that there can be many reasons. I understand that wearing masks can be extremely uncomfortable for some, especially those who may have a skin disorder on their face or may have respiratory issues. Therefore, enforcing this may lead to uncomfortability in public places. Moreover, wearing masks everywhere and requiring it for the whole population can be a culture shock for some. I understand in Eastern asian countries, wearing masks is a norm. However, in western countries, it is not. With the pandemic, suddenly enforcing this can be shocking for many and may make many nervous. As a result, they may believe it is against their rights.
  3. I think it is important to inform the children what is going on. I believe many may take them off due to being uncomfortable. However, informing children that wearing the masks is to protect themselves and their classmates may make them understand that is important to wear them. Moreover, providing an enviornment with strong and cool airflow may make it more comfortable to wear for children. Also being a good example of wearing one can help as well.

(ignore spelling and grammar issues since this does not affect CASPER scoring)