This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Dave is riding on the subway when he suddenly notices a man talking to himself in distress. The man appears as though he is talking to someone who is not there. Dave's friend, Rachel, tells him not to approach the man because he "is probably crazy."​

1. What should Dave do in this situation?
  2. Should Dave stop being friends with Rachel after her comment?
  3. Should Dave react differently if the man appears violent?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I understand that Dave is unsure what is going on with the man and is concerned because he is in obvious distress. However, Rachel is saying that there is something wrong. I would first like to gather more information. I would ask Rachel in private and in a nonjudgemental manner why she would use the word “crazy” to describe him. I would mention that this word can be harmful against those who may have mental health issues. If Rachel agrees with me, then perhaps we could go together to a police officer or an employee of the subway and let them know what we have witnessed and that there is a man in distress. If Rachel does not agree with me, then I will be respectful and let her know that I will be right back and find a police officer or an attendant who can help this man in distress. In the end, it is important to not judge what is occurring in this situation as we do not know why this man is in distress or is talking to himself. If I am concerned I would like to report to the right authorities who can get this man some help if he is in distress or needs help.
  2. I believe it is important to understand that people will make comments or opinions due to ignorance or misunderstanding. Perhaps Rachel has made a stereotype about people who behave like this because she saw it in the media. Therefore, in these situations, it is important to be non judgemental and present a different opinion on the situation. For instance, I could mention that perhaps this man is just practicing for a speech and it may appear that he is talking to himself. Or perhaps this man does have mental illness that causes him to talk to himself but is harmless to others. Therefore, I believe the importance in this situation is to educate.
  3. I believe that I agree with my first answer. If the man is violent, it is obvious he needs help and proper authorities will provide this help to him. I believe Dave should still be nonjudgemental in this situation and let proper authorities know the situation.

(Ignore grammar/spelling errors as this does not affect the CASPER scoring)