This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

While walking to your class on campus, you have just realized that you have forgotten your chemistry textbook in the library. When you go back to get it, the person who you were sitting next to has the exact same book as you in their bag. You can't see your textbook anywhere.​

1. How would you approach the situation?
  2. Let's say that the person does admit to stealing your textbook, and their reasoning is that they couldn't afford to buy one on their own. Would you let them borrow it?
  3. Why do individuals resort to stealing?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

While walking to your class on campus, you have just realized that you have forgotten your chemistry textbook in the library. When you go back to get it, the person who you were sitting next to has the exact same book as you in their bag. You can't see your textbook anywhere.​

1. How would you approach the situation?
  2. Let's say that the person does admit to stealing your textbook, and their reasoning is that they couldn't afford to buy one on their own. Would you let them borrow it?
  3. Why do individuals resort to stealing?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.
1. Say, "Hey, have you seen a chemistry book anywhere?" to start the converesation
2. No, because they barely gave it back the first time...the fact that this person can't afford a book is not your problem
3. Many reasons, from kleptomania to other psychiatric disorders to jealousy...stealing is not okay and someone who stole your book shouldn't get to "borrow" it

1. This is a difficult situation. I understand it may be nervewracking to lose a textbook. However, one is unsure that the person next to you has the book that is yours. Perhaps, they are in the same class too. I would like to gather more information first. In a private area, I would ask in a nonjudgemental tone if they have seen my text book and let them know that I was sitting next to them and believed that I have left it there. If the person does not know where the textbook is, i would approach the library front desk and let them know the situation. Perhaps there are cameras to see where the textbook was last seen and if anyone took it. If the person admits that they took the textbook, I would, in a nonjudgemental tone, ask why. I would ask for it back but offer to share with them the textbook if they needed it. In the end, I would not like to accuse anyone of taking my items till I know the full situation.
  2. I understand that textbooks are extremely expensive and that one may become desperate and resort to stealing one. However, stealing should never be the answer to a situation as it negatively affects the person who is being stolen from. I would let them know that this is wrong and that its important that they could have stolen from someone who needed the book just as much as they did. In the end, I would offer to study with them for the class since I probably will need the text book as well. Therefore, if we study together, we could share the book together.
  3. I believe that many people become desperate. Unfortunately, objects can be really expensive and some people do not have the financial means to afford it. These objects can be necessities for living (i.e. food, water, menstrual products, etc.) Therefore, I believe this requirement is so high and the need is so high, they are willing to steal the product for it.

(Please ignore spelling/grammar errors since this does not affect CASPER scoring)