This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Raccoons, skunks, and other animals often end up in people's backyards. They can be dangerous and create a lot of issues for homeowners. The homeowners have to pay for professionals to remove them from their properties in a safe manner. Otherwise, if they do so themselves, it can be dangerous for both them and the animal.​

1. Why do homeowners have to pay for it if you can't control whether animals invade your property or not?
  2. What do you think is a reasonable cost to remove a raccoon from a property, and why?
  3. Do you think it is ethical putting such animals in cages and transporting them to locations far away from their local habitats?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1) many natural disasters occur that people have no control over (flooding, tornado, earthquake). Once the damage is done, another person expends time and energy to help you fix your problems. This other person has family to feed and rent to pay for, so on a large scale, this cannot be done on a purely volunteer business. As long as they charge a fair ethical price, there is no harm in this. This is similar to a plumber fixing a clogged pipe over which you had no control over

2) it would depend on the time it takes someone to catch the animal, cost of transportation, and time it takes to release the animal. We also need to factor in that the person removing the animal is putting themselves in harms way for someone else so that also contributes partially into the cost. All in all, it most likely takes an hour for someone to travel to your house, catch the animal, and release it into the proper habitat. As such, a reasonable amount to charge would be $25-$30.

3) this is similar to asking if it’s ok to crush a cockroach because it carries diseases that could make you sick. We must see the benefit and cost of each decision to determine if it worth pursuing. Although the animals would be displaced, they are not directly harmed in the process. The indirect harm of them having to acclimate to a new environment could be offset by discussing with ecologists about local habitats for specific animals. For example, if there is a local forest that is home to many porcupines, this would be a fair and ethical place for relocation. A alligator could be placed in a local pond that is isolated from public access. This is to say, despite the fact that in order to reduce harm to humans we have to displace animals, this harm can be minimized as much as possible. In the end all decisions carry costs and there are no 0 cost decisions, so we pick the decision with maximum benefit and minimal cost, which in this case is relocating these animals to local habitats more suitable to them

Reactions: 1 user
1) This is similar to having a leak in your house or having your car break down- you have to pay for all of these things even if they are not your fault. It comes down to the reality of life, and the people who have the strengths and skillset to fix these things have the right to be compensated.

2) I would decline to give a specific number as I do not know the specific market forces in extermination such as years of training, cost of equipment and time, demand and supply, etc.

3) Yes, I do believe it is ethical because the alternative is that they stay in places where they are subject to harm.

Raccoons, skunks, and other animals often end up in people's backyards. They can be dangerous and create a lot of issues for homeowners. The homeowners have to pay for professionals to remove them from their properties in a safe manner. Otherwise, if they do so themselves, it can be dangerous for both them and the animal.​

1. Why do homeowners have to pay for it if you can't control whether animals invade your property or not?
  2. What do you think is a reasonable cost to remove a raccoon from a property, and why?
  3. Do you think it is ethical putting such animals in cages and transporting them to locations far away from their local habitats?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.
1. The same way that one has to pay property taxes, city taxes, municipal waste and trash removal, etc.
2. <$500
3. Probably no less ethical than the existence of zoos

1. I know this can be difficult because if it is uncontrollable for one to prevent raccoons and skunks and other animals from invading the property then why have to pay for it, especially if it is necessary for one’s safety. However, on the other hand, one must consider the amount of labor and service that it can required for someone to come and remove these animals. Although uncontrollable, we must help support the businesses and people who are putting themselves in a possible dangerous situation with an animal in order to prevent possible dangerous situations and issues for the homeowner. Unless a homeowner is able to do it themselves, homeowners will most likely have to continue to pay for this service.
  2. I believe there are many factors to consider when considering a reasonable cost. For one, it is important to factor in how easy it is to remove such animal. Perhaps a small squirrel is easier to remove than a skunk. Then is it important to factor in equipment used and travel time. Moreover, the means of removal is also important to consider. Unfortunately, I understand that more ethical solutions for removal may be more expensive since it requires one to trap the animal and relocate it. Therefore, with these factors consider, one can be able to compromise a reasonable price to remove a raccoon.
  3. I believe this is a difficult situation agian. For one, one is transporting an animal from its den and home. However, the animals is dangerous for the homeowner and can create issuses but also it can be dangerous for the animal as well to live close to such human life. I believe doing research and finding the best company that can transport the animal can prevent harm. Things to look for includes looking at the animals den to ensure there are no babies or perhaps trapping the animal in a way that causes the least amount of stress. I believe by being able to ethically capture the animal, it may be beneficial to both humans and animals safety.

(ignore spelling issues or grammar issues since this does not affect score)