This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You work for a company that provides entertainment for children's parties. Your boss asks you to wear a Native American costume as part of the entertainment show. You are not Native American and are uncomfortable doing so.​

1. How do you handle this situation with your boss?
  2. Your boss respects your decision, but you notice that they don't call you for work opportunities as frequently as before. Should you say anything?
  3. Why is it important to be culturally respectful?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. This is a difficult situation. For one, it is cultural appropriateon to wear such costume and is making me feel uncofmrotable to. On the other hand, I do not want to go against my boss’s wishes and the children’s party may be expecting such costume. I would like to gather more information first. I would approach my boss in a private area and in a nonjudgemental tone ask why the Native American costume is needed, if it is needed, and express my discomfort with the situation and the cultural appropriate that can occur from it. If my boss understands, then no harm. I could suggest that a coworker who is native american perhaps could wear traditional wear for the party and be able to share their culture if they are comfortable with such. If my boss continues to suggest I wear it, I will continue to refuse and let them know the harm and disrepspect can cause on native american culture. I may report to HR this issue so that future children’s shows will not continue with such. Cultural appropriate can be harmful as it does not allow one to express the true meaning and understanding and perspective of a culture and it can be disrespectful. Such issue should be addressed as soon as possible in order to not disrespect a culture or bring discomfort to others.
  2. I understand this is a difficult situation. From such decision, I may be worried that I caused obstruction for further work opportunities. However, I also may not understand the full story. I would approach my boss in a private area anad in a non-jdugemental tone bring up that i noticed my work hours being cut. Perhaps my boss was unaware and so no harm. I can ask for emore hours. However, if he mentions it si cause of the costume, i may report to HR this issue as my discomfort should not cause me to be punished
  3. I think it is important because culture plays a large role in answering the question “who am I”. it is part of the way of life for many and plays integral roles in people’s interactions and beliefs and values. Being respectful will allow everyone to feel safe in an environment without having to feel as though the culture they have grown up with is being ridiculed or is misrepresented.

(Please ignore spelling/grammatical issues as they do not affect CASPER scoring)

Reactions: 1 users

You work for a company that provides entertainment for children's parties. Your boss asks you to wear a Native American costume as part of the entertainment show. You are not Native American and are uncomfortable doing so.​

1. How do you handle this situation with your boss?
  2. Your boss respects your decision, but you notice that they don't call you for work opportunities as frequently as before. Should you say anything?
  3. Why is it important to be culturally respectful?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

1. Ha! A lot of times these things are difficult situations, but this is pretty simple: send them a video on cultural appropriation. I would give them an opportunity to save face by laughing it off and letting them know it was a good joke.

2. That's understandable. I would let them know that everything was fine, it was just that one incident that there was some issues. And that I really trust and value them as a supervisor, and want to keep working with them to make the environment great, and hope that they will continue to include me in events.

3. Stereotypes can cause actual harm and long-lasting effects in a society. Without a bonafide artistic intent or credential, such as being a professional actor or comedian, casually becoming someone else's race is demeaning. It can only lead to misrepresentation which can then propagate stereotypes, even with no malice intended.

-

ok, this is probably my most 1rst quartile answer, ha ha!

Reactions: 1 user