This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are a local police officer in the town of Brightonville. A group of teens started a local charity event for the local hospital. The event takes place on private property, and the owner has called you to report the teens.​

1. How much would you fine the teens for trespassing private property
  2. Should teens be allowed to hold charity events like that without a permit?
  3. In a similar situation, the teens held the event in a park after receiving a permit. However, you discover that some of the attendees brought drugs. Would you shut off the event?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. id speak with property owner to understand their concerns and ensure their safety and that their rights are respected. instead of immediately issuing fines, i might warn the teens or advise them on the consequences of trespassing. if there's damage or disruption, i might then consider a fine.
  2. although the event is commendable, events that impact public spaces or private property usually require permits; this is to ensure safety and adherence to regulations. i would encourage the teens' initiative but also emphasize the importance of permits to avoid conflicts and ensure safety measures are in place for such events
  3. drugs at a permitted event can be a serious concern. shutting down the event might not be the first action, especially if it's for a charitable cause, but ensuring public safety is crucial. i'd collaborate with other authorities or support services to handle the situation the situation discreetly. i would want to minimize risk and provide support or education to those involved with drugs
overall, education and cooperation is key. engaging with the teens and other stakeholders to find solutions while upholding the law and ensuring safety would be the primary objectives.