This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Blood donations have fallen in the past year. One day on campus, a blood donation volunteer approaches your friend and you asking if you would like to donate blood. Your friend declines, saying that he is anemic (even though you suspect he is lying).​

1. Do you believe you should say anything?
  2. What are the ethics of this situation?
  3. Is lying ever justifiable?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If it was a very close friend, yes. But given the information, I can assume that it's not. Everyone has to make their own decisions based on the information they have at present. It's not my place to try to control those around me to see things the way that I do.

2. I don't feel there are any ethical concerns on my end. I could be much more effective in increasing blood donations by volunteering or assisting the campaign in other ways. Calling out a friend is likely to turn them off even more to the idea.

3. Life doesn't work in superlatives. This reminds me of another field, law, where judges can sometimes act based on the "spirit of the law" rather than the "word of the law." I can imagine there are very rare times where cunning could be necessary to "do no harm."

Reactions: 1 user