This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

You are skiing in the mountains and the snow is starting to get heavy. You decide to head back to the lodge when you think you hear a cry for help in the distance. The snow is falling hard and in about 20 minutes you will no longer be able to see where the ski lodge is.​

1. Should you investigate the sound you heard?
  2. What are the ethics of this situation?
  3. When is it okay to prioritize your safety over others?
Discuss Below !!

This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable.

Members don't see this ad.

1. The first instinct should be to try to isolate the direction of the sound. Depending on visibility it could be possible to locate the source. If you are unable to hear anything, or the cries stop, then perhaps you were hearing things. If you were able to hear something but couldn't find the source and wound-up in a situation where you can't make any progress, then you should move on.

2. It is ethically necessary to help someone who's in peril if you are able. In fact some states and locations it's illegal to walk past someone who you are reasonably capable of helping, or just letting them die while you watch. It's incredibly periling situation to want to try to help, but not be able to. Especially if you must retreat while continuing to listen to their cries.

3. This is a personal decision, but there is no point in trying to help someone if it is certain to end in your own demise as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this stuff really being used for admissions?
it gets worse, they make you record a video of you giving live answers as well 🙃

and you only have five minutes to respond to the typed ones. Totally bizarre that premeds have to train at typing now as well, guess it's prepping us for all those EMRs!

I have a 140wpm casual typing speed, unsure how this is fair.

I like the idea of the test, and if they are good with the accommodations to people who need it then it seems ok. Subjective grading is always kinda BS though, but apparently there are rubrics.

This is so dumb. My god
meh, it's kind of like CARS on mcat.

I was upset at first too but it's definitely a +1 for a lot of folks. Definitely seems unfair to the more traditional students who may just be guessing at stuff without having a ton of XP in stuff personally. But I guess that is kind of the point to get you to think about weird stuff.

Is this stuff really being used for admissions?
Yes, CASPer test is being used for many health professions programs in the US, Canada, and Australia. The basis for this test is to help evaluate an applicant's qualitative or “soft” skills, such as professionalism, maturity, and communication. Also the test aims to see how applicants would respond to ethical scenarios sometimes really ethically ambiguous situations.