This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrepMatch

Partner Organization
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
"University students volunteer mostly to make their resumes more impressive."

1. Why do you think someone would make a statement like this?
  2. Think of a time in your life when you volunteered because you thought it would look impressive on your resume.
  3. If organizations are often in need of volunteers, does the volunteer's motivation really matter?

Discuss below!

(This scenario is from PrepMatch.com, the free peer-to-peer CASPer preparation platform that allows you to practice hundreds of scenarios for free. PrepMatch is a non-profit partnered up with organizations such as the Student Doctor Network that aims to make the admission process more equitable)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you guys considered collecting people's quartile scores to see if markers such as # of scenarios, avg score of their responses, etc. is associated with better performance on the test?

1. because we live in a competitive world where people do whatever they can to make themselves seem like a more desirable applicant.
2. thats pretty much every volunteer experience ive had. i mean, i didnt do it to look "impressive," i just did it because i needed the experience. never would have volunteered if i werent trying to get into medical school.
3. i dont think so. most volunteers are just like a squirrel trying to get his nut as they say. they should be happy they have volunteers in the first place.