CASPer Test Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencyyyyyy

Reaction score
I found this CASPer practice question on the Astroff website. For some reason, I'm having a tough time coming up with a decent answer for the first question. How would you answer the questions to these prompts in 5 minutes? Also, if you've written the CASPer test before, what ended up being the length of your responses? I feel like I'm not able to write more than 5-6 sentences for each question because of time.

PROMPT: In December 2013, just days before Christmas, the North American ice storm left over one million residents without power. In Canada, the City of Toronto was one of the hardest hit by the ice storm. At one point, over 300,000 Toronto residents were without electricity and heat. Many were without power for 24-72 hours, and it took until the New Year for power to be restored to all residents.

1. In your opinion, how should a city prepare for a natural disaster?

This is how I answered it:

Based on the prompt, it seems like people suffered the most because of lack of heat and electricity. So, a city can prepare best by creating back ups for these two things. Maybe, they can switch to solar power or alternative energy sources that can be used in times like this. If these alternative energy forms are too expensive for the whole city. They can be added to community centers or parts of neighborhoods where people can stay in times of natural disasters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How would YOU answer for the first bit ?
also , I don’t get it - why are you preparing for casper ? the test is ethicsbased , not knowledge ...

Reactions: 1 user
How would YOU answer for the first bit ?
also , I don’t get it - why are you preparing for casper ? the test is ethicsbased , not knowledge ...
Hi! It is ethics based but I wanted to practice to get familiar with the format and get the timing down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It's meant to be an ethics exercise. Do you think it is ethical to ask others to help you decide what to answer?

• Love
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took my CASPer exam, and I did not use full sentences. I used a bullet-point format, which allowed me to express 6-8 ideas per question without formal punctuation and unnecessary articles

I just took my CASPer exam, and I did not use full sentences. I used a bullet-point format, which allowed me to express 6-8 ideas per question without formal punctuation and unnecessary articles
i didnt do bullet points, but i did short sentences, with a lot of question marks, to reflect that this is what i would explore further to answer the question. But bullet points is even better perhaps, i just never feel comfortable with them (like, i am not sure i know how to use them efficiently).

i didnt do bullet points, but i did short sentences, with a lot of question marks, to reflect that this is what i would explore further to answer the question. But bullet points is even better perhaps, i just never feel comfortable with them (like, i am not sure i know how to use them efficiently).

Yeah, I definitely agree that there are multiple ways/formats to answer their questions.

I used bullet points when making recommendations to co-workers, group members, etc.

(Example) I recommend:

- approaching the student in person
- not prematurely levying accusations
- speaking to others about the situation to make sure my perception of the situation is logical

The full thought is there w/out the need for the extra "fluff"

That's the beauty of CASPer though -- as long as you're not openly hateful, you'll be fine

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I definitely agree that there are multiple ways/formats to answer their questions.

I used bullet points when making recommendations to co-workers, group members, etc.

(Example) I recommend:

- approaching the student in person
- not prematurely levying accusations
- speaking to others about the situation to make sure my perception of the situation is logical

The full thought is there w/out the need for the extra "fluff"

That's the beauty of CASPer though -- as long as you're not openly hateful, you'll be fine
definitely a great approach!!!!! better than mine. Me - i just typed super fast. hahahha

• Haha
Is using just Bullet points in lieu of full sentences looked down upon? Mine is next week...is there any way to prepare?

Is using just Bullet points in lieu of full sentences looked down upon? Mine is next week...is there any way to prepare?
mine is next week too, I'm not sure if it's looked down upon because they didn't specify if they wanted full sentences. I think as long as you have all of the information there, they'll focus less on if you used full sentences.
I'm trying to go over Astroff practice questions and the FL practice exams on the Casper website. BEMO videos are pretty helpful too. Please let me know if you have any other tips.

I wasn't suppose to do the CASPer test but one of the schools that I applied to has switched to the CASPer test instead of in-person interviews because of COVID-19. I only got two weeks to prep for this exam, so, I hope it goes well. I know that some people prep for it for a month or two. Goodluck with yours!

It's meant to be an ethics exercise. Do you think it is ethical to ask others to help you decide what to answer?
As a counterpoint, we don't necessarily come with instinctual knowledge on ethics; it must be learned (and for others who know more to teach). And being that this is a practice test, and we're all trying to develop a good base of ethics, I feel it's not unethical to ask for advice.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
They specifically state on their website that it hurts you to prep for this test... good luck.

• Dislike
They specifically state on their website that it hurts you to prep for this test... good luck.
Sorry I can't tell if you're actually wishing me goodluck or being sarcastic. If you are actually wishing me then thank you.

While, I appreciate your opinion, I don't remember it saying that it hurts to prep for the exam. It said that you can't really prepare for it. While I agree that we can't prepare the specific questions but being familiar with the general format of the exam and knowing ethics is beneficial. We all want to do well on this exam and don't know everything about ethics. It's better to prepare and learn than do bad on it. I know a lot of people that prep for it and even try to get feedback from prep companies on their responses. Unfortunately, I don't have the money or time to be able to do that.

Last edited:
Yw.

It’s a psychopath weeding out tool. Plenty of those going for medicine. You’ll be fine without any knowledge. I go to Casper school and didn’t study at all.

Yw.

It’s a psychopath weeding out tool. Plenty of those going for medicine. You’ll be fine without any knowledge. I go to Casper school and didn’t study at all.
That's reassuring, thank you so much! I've been pretty worried about the whole test since I've heard how some people prepared for it for a month or 2 and I just didn't have that kind of time but this makes me feel a lot better.

That's reassuring, thank you so much! I've been pretty worried about the whole test since I've heard how some people prepared for it for a month or 2 and I just didn't have that kind of time but this makes me feel a lot better.

Studying that long to learn not to punch someone in the face says a lot about someone’s character doesn’t it?

Yw.

Yes and no.

I agree that it assesses basic human decency. If you say something sexist, racist, homophobic, etc, you will receive several red flags on your 12-question workup. Medical schools that see those red flags are not likely to invite this person for an interview.

However, it also must be mentioned that CASPer is quantitatively assessed. By your standard, the test is binary: those that are not psychopaths get a pass and the deranged do not. It's much more nuanced than that.

CASPer assesses your thought process, the basis for your argument, and how you justify the decisions you make based on the prompts. It's a deep dive into how you think and the assumptions you have made along the way to come to this conclusion

Yes, I watched an interview with the co-creator of CASPer, and she mentioned that bullet points were an acceptable format for answering the questions.

Just make sure that your bullet points include a full thought

Yes and no.

I agree that it assesses basic human decency. If you say something sexist, racist, homophobic, etc, you will receive several red flags on your 12-question workup. Medical schools that see those red flags are not likely to invite this person for an interview.

However, it also must be mentioned that CASPer is quantitatively assessed. By your standard, the test is binary: those that are not psychopaths get a pass and the deranged do not. It's much more nuanced than that.

CASPer assesses your thought process, the basis for your argument, and how you justify the decisions you make based on the prompts. It's a deep dive into how you think and the assumptions you have made along the way to come to this conclusion

Well duh. I’m not an idiot. Chill.

I found this CASPer practice question on the Astroff website. For some reason, I'm having a tough time coming up with a decent answer for the first question. How would you answer the questions to these prompts in 5 minutes? Also, if you've written the CASPer test before, what ended up being the length of your responses? I feel like I'm not able to write more than 5-6 sentences for each question because of time.

PROMPT: In December 2013, just days before Christmas, the North American ice storm left over one million residents without power. In Canada, the City of Toronto was one of the hardest hit by the ice storm. At one point, over 300,000 Toronto residents were without electricity and heat. Many were without power for 24-72 hours, and it took until the New Year for power to be restored to all residents.

Based on the prompt, it seems like people suffered the most because of lack of heat and electricity. So, a city can prepare best by creating back ups for these two things. Maybe, they can switch to solar power or alternative energy sources that can be used in times like this. If these alternative energy forms are too expensive for the whole city. They can be added to community centers or parts of neighborhoods where people can stay in times of natural disasters.
The way I would approach this question is: collect more information first then come up with recommendations from more than one modality. Something like:
  • Leverage crises as a learning opportunity to determine the weaknesses in the city's preparedness
  • Collect information:
    • Which areas were affected most by these outages? Were poorer neighbourhoods with lower property taxes disproportionately affected? Could this be because the systems in those areas are out of date due to lack of funding?
    • Why did it take up to 72hr for these issues to be addressed? Is there a lack of preparedness on the part of the city in terms of having the right protocols in place to deal with these kinds of crises?
    • Were there adequate supports for those without a home / vulnerable populations in an ice storm?
  • Recommendation
    • The city should invest in updating the systems that provide electricity and natural gas to homes to be more robust and resistant to crises in the future
    • Protect vulnerable populations by investing in facilities that have the capacity for the large intake of people during crises like this
    • Build backups to the systems that are already in place
    • Come up with a robust protocol as to facilitate fast action on the part of the city's administration in time of another crisis

Reactions: 2 users

CASPER is non-sense IMHO. How is this question relevant to medical school?