HenrikFuture

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So i saw the trailer on television and it looks really good.

Do any of you play WoW Cataclysm and still manage med school?

I used to PvP alot in that game and was really hooked on it, trying to contemplate whether WoW could work with Med school. To be honest i dont see it happening but id like to hear from someone else who plays the game.

Im mainly interested in Arena.

edit: Ive played the game for loads in arena, and i know it doesnt look like the trailer.

Last edited:

osteohopeful09

7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
the trailer is CGI. the game looks and plays NOTHING like it. The game came out in 2004...it is severely lacking in the graphics department, compared to other modern PC games.

In addition, the game just isn't fun. It isn't a matter of skill that determines how good you are but a matter of doing the same repetitive tasks, day in and day out, for the sole purpose of getting access to MORE repetitive tasks. it is truly a circular "game", and is more akin to a glorified chat room (that you pay for), than anything else.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Last edited:

Salient

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
He's clearly already familiar with the graphics...

I think that if you stick to Arena and exercise some good judgement/self-control you'll be fine. It's not like you need to study every spare moment of every day in order to stay afloat in your classes, right?

Just be ready to cut it off if it starts to take over.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So i saw the trailer on television and it looks really good.

Do any of you play WoW Cataclysm and still manage med school?

I used to PvP alot in that game and was really hooked on it, trying to contemplate whether WoW could work with Med school. To be honest i dont see it happening but id like to hear from someone else who plays the game.

Im mainly interested in Arena.

edit: Ive played the game for loads in arena, and i know it doesnt look like the trailer.
There was a kid at my school who was addicted to one of those WoW games and he used to pull all-nighters playing it instead of studying for his med school exams (I know this because I knew his roommate). He failed several classes and was given a 2nd chance by allowing him to just repeat the first year of medical school. He managed to get through first year his second time around, but unfortunately he began/continued playing WoW and ended up failing several classes again during second year only to be kicked out again - this time it was final. I'm sure he had the brainpower to make it through medical school after attending Harvard for undergrad on a scholarship, but now he has no hope of getting an M.D. and he accumulated three years of medical school debt in the process. If you're seriously worried about being able to "manage" medical school because of a video game I'd strongly suggest you just pick one or the other.

Hoju

I don't want Fop.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I quit playing before starting med school, but decided to activate my account during 2nd year. For me it was a waste of money. I study too much and don't have the time to really enjoy playing. Other nerds in the vicinity saw me looking at the Blizzard website for WoW during class, and the consensus among them was that it was too great of a temptation to play during the semester. I haven't played arena though so I can't comment on that.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My roommate played WoW like a maniac last year. I'm getting a pretty large amount of CoD time in, myself. You probably won't be making A's, but if that's no big deal to you, you're good to go.

Nov 9, 2010
Status
man I'd like to start playing again (have two level 80's that I retired 2 years ago) but the risk is too much. I played the new Starcraft a little this year but had to unistall it after playing for only 3 weeks. WoW is way more addicting than SC...

BTW: Has anyone played the new Metroid Prime for Wii ? I played Metroid Prime 3 last december during my break and loved it.

Mace1370

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Don't do it!

I've played a lot of WoW. If you really want to, you can make it work. However, looking back on it I regret playing so much. Get a girlfriend. It is a much better investment of your time.

Also, I've played a lot of other video games (mostly 360, but some PS3 exclusives) and I look back on my experiences of those with fond memories.

FiremedicMike

7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not a med student so I might be out of place posting here, but I must agree with the above. Cata came out the day of my last final this quarter so I picked it up to play over break. Like most of the above posters, there is no off for me when my account is active. I sit down to play and several hours goes by without me knowing. Its not compatable during undergraduate for me, I can't fathom how it would work with medical school.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I've never played WoW specifically, but having had some MMO experience I gotta agree that these games are not designed to be played in a healthy way. I mean, I'm sure that somewhere out there someone has managed a healthy life with a WoW account, but the game is clearly designed to be played 24/7 and I think it would be easy to get pullled in. Everthying about it is clearly designed for someone willing to devote a large chunk of their day to the software: the emphasis on a continually active community, the endlesss treadmill of leveling and loot, the exremely long time it takes to do any kind of group activity, and even the size of the world. If you stick to the things you can do on the limted, ever changing schedule of medical school what you end up with is the world's most boring single player RPG: doing repetitive quests and kill similar looking monsters in a fairly small chunk of the virtual world. I say skip it.

I also have had friends in undergrad tank their grades because of these games BTW. In medical school I only really know of one person that even plays.

OP
H

HenrikFuture

5+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey just want to say thanks alot for the support. Like you guys i also think its just not worth it. To be honest life is too short, the time ive spent in WoW i understood why i did, it was a phase, but life is too good to squander on this game.

Id rather work and hope for As and be the best student i can be, and have fun with friends in my life.

Happy hollidays everyone, have a good Christmas!

Don't do it!

I've played a lot of WoW. If you really want to, you can make it work. However, looking back on it I regret playing so much. Get a girlfriend. It is a much better investment of your time.

Also, I've played a lot of other video games (mostly 360, but some PS3 exclusives) and I look back on my experiences of those with fond memories.
Hey thanks for the advice, i might check out one of the consoles, nothing beats playing fun console games with a good friend. Tekken has given me some of the funniest nights hehe.

Tenk

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
It's all about self control with anything you do outside of school. Just because you don't play a video game doesn't mean all that extra time is going to instantly go into improving your grades.

Self control and efficient time management allow you to do 1~2 extra curricular activities effectively while in medical school no matter what year you are in.

If you can't control yourself with WoW, try starcraft, fps, or console games that you can walk away from after 30 min ~ 1 hour.

Daedra22

7+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know that the OP already pretty much decided, but in case other people are interested, I do manage to play some WoW and do fine in med school (fine enough that I don't feel the need to stop). It helps to have a really good guild. I had a level 80 going into first year, and my guild was cool with me showing up only once a week (sometimes twice) to raid. We have another med student in the guild who does the same. Fortunately Cataclysm came out in time for winter break, so I can get to level 85 before next semester. Of course, I'm not the obsessive type. I can't play any one videogame for more than 3 hours at a go, even if I like it.

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's all about self control with anything you do outside of school. Just because you don't play a video game doesn't mean all that extra time is going to instantly go into improving your grades.

Self control and efficient time management allow you to do 1~2 extra curricular activities effectively while in medical school no matter what year you are in.

If you can't control yourself with WoW, try starcraft, fps, or console games that you can walk away from after 30 min ~ 1 hour.
I definitely agree with this. I decided not to take my gaming system with me and have not bought one since I've been in school. I definitely could have fit in 1-2 hrs of videogames a day in the 1st 2 years and on certain rotations during 3rd year. I just knew that I can get hooked easily and decided not to take that chance. If you have great self-control then you'll be fine, just be completely honest with yourself

herewego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
I quit WoW before med school. Haven't looked back.

If you must game (and I have the urge once in a while), I suggest looking for a less time intensive non-mmo. Something you can pick up and play, win a few rounds, then get back to the books.

Angulimala

Now with 10% more Cylon!
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2010
CA
Status
Medical Student
Don't get sucked in. Play a game that you can enjoy for a night, and then say goodbye to the next day.

Try Homeworld Cataclysm instead of WoW Cataclysm. (Or Starcraft 2. )

ArcGurren

only one will survive
Aug 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
i suggest switching to TF2 or L4D. you can play those games once a week guilt free.