Caution for those going into OMFS for Private Practice/Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Touche. Still a very revolutionary technology. Wonder if it will be like invisalign in the orthodontist world .
You are missing the point…it’s not revolutionary and your approach/troll with this thread is a waste of time. It was nice enough that odontoblaster took the time to write a thoughtful post to your silly thread. There are a lot of very intelligent folks that visit SDN and you belittle them with this silly game…way too late to try and have an intelligent discussion…at least with me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Going to be tough to get fda approval when the test subjects are all young kids. I agree I wouldn’t let my own kid sign up for this. And as soon as a complication arises the whole thing will be questioned. Can’t hurt kids for experiments.

Regarding perio vs omfs - Perio is cool on its own. It doesn’t need OMFS to fail for it to be cool.

Reactions: 3 users
Going to be tough to get fda approval when the test subjects are all young kids. I agree I wouldn’t let my own kid sign up for this. And as soon as a complication arises the whole thing will be questioned. Can’t hurt kids for experiments.

Regarding perio vs omfs - Perio is cool on its own. It doesn’t need OMFS to fail for it to be cool.
Agree with you and the rest. Insightful discussion

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro… the fact that you learned about this from a classmate and now you know more than everyone makes me chuckle. Keep up the hard work in DS. You’ll go places.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I just read about this device that can, if used twice daily for a recommended 2 minutes, prevent so much of what I get paid to fix. I really hope it doesn’t catch on, I have a boat to pay off…

IMG_9828.png

Big Hoss

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users
PSA to everyone going into OMFS for private practice/dental procedures. The days of a secure future in private practice are numbered. One company is planning to ablate wisdom teeth buds before they become wisdom teeth which will undercut oral and maxillofacial surgeons like never before. It is marketed to general dentists and pediatric dentists in mind and has already completed animal testing. If you do not love big OR procedures and want to spend most of your career doing dentoalveolar, all I can say is good luck.

Secondly, it is increasingly a subject of debate for oral surgeons to perform anesthesia while doing procedures. I would not expect this to be here for more than 10 years. Again, if performing office-based anesthesia is one of the reasons you will apply and go through a grueling residency, think hard.

To lose all wisdom teeth extractions and then to lose anesthesia is a great blow. I feel sympathy for those going into oral and maxillofacial surgery especially those with many years left between dental school and residency and beyond. Consider doing another dental specialty if you are hoping for a majority of your time being spent in private practice such as periodontics. A 4-6 year grueling residency only to have the private practice landscape completely altered is a risk I would not recommend to anyone. I'm quite thankful I am going for periodontics because I love it. This only confirms the decision was correct.
You should not post incendiary things like this. This post was clearly intended to throw shade at OMFS and belittle oral surgeons. This is not mature behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This thread became Perio vs OS real quick, why are you two so salty against each other

This thread became Perio vs OS real quick, why are you two so salty against each other
Well OP, probably a D3 who just started doing his first prophies, essentially started the thread with:

OMFS IS DYING I FEEL SAD FOR ANYONE CONSIDERING APPLYING. JOIN PERIO INSTEAD

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

Reactions: 8 users
Lots of dentists routinely refer out anything surgical. I was a GP that did all of my own impacted thirds and coronectomies, among other procedures, and I'd also routinely get referrals from other docs for extractions and surgeries. It's a bit eye opening when you see just how common it is for other GPs to shy away from anything surgical.

Plenty of food at the table for everyone. Even if this new treatment modality offered a noninvasive and safe approach to prophylactic third molar removal, there's a significant need for surgeons in dentistry. Apart from the wide skill level of OMS, there's still a high demand just for dentoalveolar surgery. Lots of GPs will never lift a surgical handpiece or lay a flap regardless if the tooth is a third molar or not.

PSA to everyone going into OMFS for private practice/dental procedures. The days of a secure future in private practice are numbered. One company is planning to ablate wisdom teeth buds before they become wisdom teeth which will undercut oral and maxillofacial surgeons like never before. It is marketed to general dentists and pediatric dentists in mind and has already completed animal testing. If you do not love big OR procedures and want to spend most of your career doing dentoalveolar, all I can say is good luck.

Secondly, it is increasingly a subject of debate for oral surgeons to perform anesthesia while doing procedures. I would not expect this to be here for more than 10 years. Again, if performing office-based anesthesia is one of the reasons you will apply and go through a grueling residency, think hard.

To lose all wisdom teeth extractions and then to lose anesthesia is a great blow. I feel sympathy for those going into oral and maxillofacial surgery especially those with many years left between dental school and residency and beyond. Consider doing another dental specialty if you are hoping for a majority of your time being spent in private practice such as periodontics. A 4-6 year grueling residency only to have the private practice landscape completely altered is a risk I would not recommend to anyone. I'm quite thankful I am going for periodontics because I love it. This only confirms the decision was correct.

Hurry jqrsdental there are only 25 days left to invest in this great opportunity to take down big omfs. Surely you can divert some some of that dental school tuition to the cause.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I am very skeptical of this technology. So many unknowns at this stage. One thing I noticed no one has talked about is the lingual nerve and possible parasthesias/dysesthesias/hypoesthesias that could occur as a result of ablating third molar buds.
It is well known that the lingual nerve is present at or above the alveolar crest in 13% of individuals. Hence the need for a hockey stick angled incision when attempting to lay a full thickness flap to remove an impacted mandibular third molar. Studies would need to be done to understand the position of the lingual nerve in relation to the tooth bud in pediatric patients. Neither a CBCT nor even a medical grade CT can reveal the position of the lingual nerve. Hence, their so called method of using CBCTs or 3D radiographs to create surgical guides for this procedure would do nothing to help avoid injury to the lingual nerve. I noticed that the study that this company published makes mention of how the IAN function was preserved but made no mention of whether or not the lingual nerve was impacted. This is pretty important, as lingual nerve injuries are much more devastating than IAN injuries.

This is just one of many issues I see with this technology. I'm sure there are so many other issues I haven't even thought of. With new technologies, there are always unseen or unpredicted adverse side effects. Just take a look at the complications now arising with COVID vaccines based on mRNA technology (not that I'm saying that we should not get vaccinated against COVID). I think this is an extreme measure to be taking in pediatric patients. Why would we go about trying to cause trouble irradiating children when we don't even know yet if their third molars will erupt into occlusion normally or be impacted. It simply is irrational and unwarranted to irradiate everyone. You will end up doing more harm than good.

In short, I see no reason why we should be using this to ablate tooth buds. It seems ridiculous to me. It was originally developed as a relatively noninvasive way to ablate tumors (both malignant and benign), particularly for people who have contraindications to surgical resection. I think that's exactly what it should be used for-tumors, not teeth.

You make your distobuccal releasing incision to avoid incising an aberrant lingual nerve that goes across the alveolar crest, but the nerve will run through the soft tissues so a full thickness flap, as long as your periosteal elevator is on bone, (and you you are not heavy handed on pulling on the flap) you will not incise the nerve. Theoretically you do not need any guide. You can develop your lingual flap after your distobuccal releasing incision. You could then slide any sort of radiation blocking material on the lingual bone passively to avoid paresthesia.

Regardless of the motives of the OP, the technique seems more surgically sensitive than the company is alluding to. You have to be careful with the flap otherwise you can traumatize the lingual nerve. I don't see most clinicians apart from OMFS (or other surgeons who routinely develop lingual flaps for things like large posterior ridge augmentations) doing this if the procedure needed any sort of surgical lingual shielding.

Last edited:
  • Haha
You make your distobuccal releasing incision to avoid incising an aberrant lingual nerve that goes across the alveolar crest, but the nerve will run through the soft tissues so a full thickness flap, as long as your periosteal elevator is on bone, (and you you are not heavy handed on pulling on the flap) will not incise the nerve. Theoretically you do not need any guide. You can develop your lingual flap after your distobuccal releasing incision. You could then slide any sort of radiation blocking material on the lingual bone passively to avoid paresthesia.

Regardless of the motives of the OP, the technique seems more surgically sensitive than the company is alluding to. You have to be careful with the flap otherwise you can traumatize the lingual nerve. I don't see most clinicians apart from OMFS (or other surgeons who routinely develop lingual flaps for things like large posterior ridge augmentations) doing this if the procedure needed any sort of surgical lingual shielding.

All in 60-90 seconds on a 6 year old! Piece of cake!

• Care
  • Haha
Definitely won’t need sedation for that 10 year old this thing is supposed to be used on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely won’t need sedation for that 10 year old this thing is supposed to be used on.
Also if you read the paper they published in JOMS, the probe needs to be at the center of the tooth bud. They used a Stryker 2mm tpx drill to drill through the buccal plate to center the microwave probe in the tooth bud.

They claim wisdom tooth extraction costs more than this procedure will, when they’re planning on charging 350 per tooth for the surgical guides. And then there will be costs for the procedure and the sedation. For a Medicaid patient, 4 full bonies with sedation is under 2k in many states, which will end up being cheaper than this ablation procedure.

Also yeah you’re gonna need deep sedation/GA for this procedure to be done. I don’t think most GPs or pediatric dentists will be comfortable doing this procedure either. Involves laying a flap, drilling into buccal bone, placing the probe precisely. Of note, the pigs used in the study were intubated when the drilling and the ablation was done.

Yet another issue-children grow rapidly, and if the pt comes back a few months after the impression is taken to fabricate the tooth borne surgical guide, it may not be accurate due to changes in mandible size or the teeth growing/exfoliating/etc.

Last edited:
I still believe community fluoridation is going to kill dentistry and all specialties. You reduce caries by 3x all for the price of $0. No caries means less need for endo, OS, prosth, perio, whatever. Every parent is going to want this!!! You guys are done, everyone should just switch careers.

By the time this technology is approved by FDA, climate change would probably destroyed the planet already

Please if we can keep on the subject of tooth bud ablating technology and anesthesia privileges being a possible threat to oral surgeons that future applicants should consider, that would be a more interesting conversation.

LOL you just won’t give up will you ?

The truth of the matter is periodontists would kill to do their own anesthesia. No pun intended. Example below.

As a side note there is this one periodontists in my area. He’s not that busy. My referrals and their office managers tell him politely that they refer to me bc I can sedate patients etc (but in reality it’s because he sucks). He gets a lot of complaints being rough during extractions, and rude etc when patients find out he can’t sedate them during a consultation. So what does he do ? He takes a weekend IV sedation course run by general dentists and now he is marketing himself as being able to put patients asleep.

Given that you’re going to become a periodontist there is a high chance you will end up trying to do your own anesthesia yourself via one of these general dentist run weekend courses. My only advice to you is to not do it. You need to do an omfs residency or anesthesia residency to safely offer sedation. We have a proven track record spanning a century.

I have a few comments I would like to add to this thread.

Not to add fuel to fire, but just so you know, matching into Perio is statistically more difficult than Ortho, OMS, Peds, etc when you look at percent of applicants accepted. ADEA has released statistics for the last year and Perio had either the lowest or second lowest (with Prosth) match rates when you look at the percent of applicants who match. It is several percentage points lower than the rates of OMS applicants who match, LOL.

This is coming from someone who will never apply to Perio & has no stake in the convo. Just thought you’d know your statements aren’t coming off as any less “JD.” Maybe fact check before coming for an entire profession based off one post, lol.

Talking statistics vs overall competitiveness and actual difficulty carries different weights in this regard. Ask anybody which program is more difficult to get into, perio vs OMS, and I'd be shocked to hear one person say perio. You basing it on just pure statistics has no weight in reality. What requirements do you need for perio compared to what you need for OMS? I'd say the requirements for applying are the exact same except for the CBSE for OMS residency which is a huge difference. That test is no joke and it takes some serious time and dedication to prepare for that. Not to mention spending several weeks at a time doing externships.

It’s tough when your ego can’t possibly handle the idea that other specialties are statistically more difficult to get into. I never said barrier of entry was tougher— the CBSE is tougher most definitely than the GRE by a landslide and I never said otherwise!
It’s even tougher when you can’t argue facts so you have to resort to made up scenarios and somehow create parallels between Periodontics (an intensive surgical residency that is literally 1 year shorter than many OMS residencies) and McDonalds.
I'm glad you tried to make this point. I have a few comments on this as well.

1. I don't consider perio a residency, this has been pointed out previously on this thread, but a more accurate term would be a certificate program. It's not a residency if you leave everyday by 4:00 or 5:00pm with no call or weekends. It also isn't GME and I don't believe you are paid in perio either (I could be wrong in this regard).

2. Classifying perio as an "intensive residency" is just not accurate. As to my previous point, how intense can it be if you work 9-5 each day with no call and no weekends.

3. Lastly, the point you make about it being a "residency" that is only 1 year shorter than OMS residency actually weakens your point. In perio training you learn how to do maybe 12 procedures total. Am I in the ballpark? It takes 3 years to learn that? Meanwhile in OMS residency we learn everything surgical from cranium to clavicle in only 4 years. Cannot even count how many procedures that would be. Not to mention in any standard 4 year program a little over 1 of those years is spent on anesthesia/general surgery/other services. So not sure how you can call perio intensive when spending 3 years to learn a very small amount of procedures compared to the broad scope of OMS where about 3 years time is actually spent on service and the amount of procedures you learn is significantly more than perio.

I think this thread had derailed into “my specialty is better than yours because of these reasons”

Just including this in case some dental student is feeling depressed that OMFS may be on its death bed… OMFS will always be the dumping ground (for good and bad) for extractions others don’t want to do and will always be the dumping ground for sick patients. OMFS already branches into soft tissue procedures (in my area OMFS docs routinely get these cases over perio). OMFS can always become even more involved in these soft tissue procedures but also TMJ, trauma, pathology, cleft, cancer, craniofacial, orthognathic, sleep apnea, cosmetics, the list goes on. These will of course come with different pay and different potential with different options, but the areas an OMFS can branch into to remain busy is fairly large.

As I’ve mentioned before, I think perio is cool. But their scope is certainly limited in comparison. They also face competition from many angles: everyone is doing implants, many soft tissue procedure are already taught in OMFS residencies or can be learned through CE, etc. While an OMFS can turn to many avenues to supplement income should 3rd molars dry up, where will a periodontist turn if other specialties starting garnering more of their referrals?

To be fair, I believe all of this is purely theoretically and neither specialty is at risk. Again, I like perio, my good buddy is a periodontist and we bounce ideas off each other all the time. Plenty of room for us all.

Thank you for this post OP. Very thought provoking. As I sit here studying for step 2, I am relieved that I can finally say going the 6-year route was the right choice. I will be applying for ENT residency now (the true head and neck surgeons). It is time to transition this thread from perio vs omfs to 4 vs 6-year omfs. Obviously the 4-year omfs people are trembling from this new technology while the 6-year people are safe and will just transition to a medical specialty. What's another 3-5 years at this point? Thanks again OP :)

not a residency if you leave everyday by 4:00 or 5:00pm with no call or weekends.
Does anyone else also get patient pages for post-op pain/questions from Perio clinic patients because they don't carry pagers and are unreachable after hours lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone else also get patient pages for post-op pain/questions from Perio clinic patients because they don't carry pagers and are unreachable after hours lol
YES!!!!

I got paged once because a perio patient’s implant healing abutment fell off after hours and they sent the patient to the ER to have OMFS take a look

• Haha
Didn't most of the people in this thread say that FDA approval would take years? Why does it seem like this is going to come out sooner than we thought?
A company can claim whatever they want. Doesn’t mean it’s actually true.

Didn't most of the people in this thread say that FDA approval would take years? Why does it seem like this is going to come out sooner than we thought?
Stop…just stop, don’t you have some wax to play with or an exam to study for…

Stop…just stop, don’t you have some wax to play with or an exam to study for…
Don't you think the topic is more interesting than the tired Omfs > period debate? We could be looking at the birth of the Omfs version of Invisalign.

Yes oral surgeons can go into perio or do trauma or orthognathics or path and branch out, but if wisdom teeth are destroyed so is like 40% of most Omfs income. They aren't making 500k+ doing trauma and implants alone that's for sure :rofl:

Also if you read the paper they published in JOMS, the probe needs to be at the center of the tooth bud. They used a Stryker 2mm tpx drill to drill through the buccal plate to center the microwave probe in the tooth bud.

They claim wisdom tooth extraction costs more than this procedure will, when they’re planning on charging 350 per tooth for the surgical guides. And then there will be costs for the procedure and the sedation. For a Medicaid patient, 4 full bonies with sedation is under 2k in many states, which will end up being cheaper than this ablation procedure.

Also yeah you’re gonna need deep sedation/GA for this procedure to be done. I don’t think most GPs or pediatric dentists will be comfortable doing this procedure either. Involves laying a flap, drilling into buccal bone, placing the probe precisely. Of note, the pigs used in the study were intubated when the drilling and the ablation was done.

Yet another issue-children grow rapidly, and if the pt comes back a few months after the impression is taken to fabricate the tooth borne surgical guide, it may not be accurate due to changes in mandible size or the teeth growing/exfoliating/etc.

Let’s just live in fantasy land and assume this becomes available treatment in the near future. I don’t believe so - not by a long shot, but let’s play along for fun.

I see multiple issues with the procedure.

1) this is going to involve multiple injections if the patient aged 6-12 is going to have it done under local. No kid is going to want to have it done under local. Once I heard that the procedure will involve a surgical guide and 2 mm drill - this is going to be similar to performing a second molar dental implant using a surgical guide. Not easy at all with the lack of space. Even harder given that it’s more posterior than a second molar. This is incredibly difficult to do especially in that age range. In the advertisement the guy holds a stereo lithographic model of a mandible with no maxilla and easily fits on a surgical guide and pops the handpiece in. In reality there is very little space to do this.

2) if sedation is to be done who is going to do it ? This age group 6-12 is a high risk for anesthesia complications if a deep sedation is to be performed. Is the GP or pediatric dentist going to have a contractor anesthesiologist in the office to administer the anesthesia ? Most anesthesiologists probably wouldn’t feel comfortable doing an IV sedation with the risk of laryngospasm and would want the patient intubated. Is this where we’re going - an all out general anesthesia via endotracheal intubation ? You have got to be kidding me.
I’d rather wait until my own kids were teenagers and do it the traditional way when they have an adult airway.

3) laying a flap in this age group with this small space is not easy at all. High risk for lingual nerve injuries etc. a lot of bleeding. There is no way a pediatric dentist or general dentist is going to want to do all this.

4) all procedures will have complications such as bleeding and infection. Who’s going to deal with these complications. ?

Reactions: 9 users
Don't you think the topic is more interesting than the tired Omfs > period debate? We could be looking at the birth of the Omfs version of Invisalign.

Yes oral surgeons can go into perio or do trauma or orthognathics or path and branch out, but if wisdom teeth are destroyed so is like 40% of most Omfs income. They aren't making 500k+ doing trauma and implants alone that's for sure :rofl:
Dude, who hurt you?

• Care
Reactions: 4 users

Lol yes you definitely can. Plus add in all the other normal extractions, path, tmj, grafting, etc etc and you’ve still got a very strong income. OMFS is awesome. Perio is cool too. It’s all good. Gen surg rotation really helps one appreciate how good we all have it. I’m more than happy to not be considered the “true head and neck surgeon” because I know what that title entails. Life is good on this side of the specialty divide.

But I were a perio, seems like I would be concerned if this became a real thing. Potentially all those OMFS starting to do lots of my procedures if they felt the need.

But like has been mentioned, this procedure while simple in theory is obviously more involved in practice. Not the same as popping an aligner in.

Last edited:
Let’s just live in fantasy land and assume this becomes available treatment in the near future. I don’t believe so - not by a long shot, but let’s play along for fun.

I see multiple issues with the procedure.

1) this is going to involve multiple injections if the patient aged 6-12 is going to have it done under local. No kid is going to want to have it done under local. Once I heard that the procedure will involve a surgical guide and 2 mm drill - this is going to be similar to performing a second molar dental implant using a surgical guide. Not easy at all with the lack of space. Even harder given that it’s more posterior than a second molar. This is incredibly difficult to do especially in that age range. In the advertisement the guy holds a stereo lithographic model of a mandible with no maxilla and easily fits on a surgical guide and pops the handpiece in. In reality there is very little space to do this.

2) if sedation is to be done who is going to do it ? This age group 6-12 is a high risk for anesthesia complications if a deep sedation is to be performed. Is the GP or pediatric dentist going to have a contractor anesthesiologist in the office to administer the anesthesia ? Most anesthesiologists probably wouldn’t feel comfortable doing an IV sedation with the risk of laryngospasm and would want the patient intubated. Is this where we’re going - an all out general anesthesia via endotracheal intubation ? You have got to be kidding me.
I’d rather wait until my own kids were teenagers and do it the traditional way when they have an adult airway.

3) laying a flap in this age group with this small space is not easy at all. High risk for lingual nerve injuries etc. a lot of bleeding. There is no way a pediatric dentist or general dentist is going to want to do all this.

4) all procedures will have complications such as bleeding and infection. Who’s going to deal with these complications. ?
The funny thing is…OP has no clue what you’re talking about…but good info for his book report 😂

Plot twist: OP is D3, needs to write an essay critiquing this technology for his class, and OP using you all to write / come up with ideas for him

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I’m more than happy to not be considered the “true head and neck surgeon” because I know what that title entails. Life is good on this side of the specialty divide.
Thought i wanted micro during my noncat year. Then flaps beat that out of me one flap check at a time.

Reactions: 3 users
Why would it not be covered with insurance if they make it the standard of care as they claim? Could this not also change the reimbursements of wisdom teeth? Not trying to be inflammatory just want to make sure everyone is aware since lots of people at my school want to do OMFS for private practice. The residents too.
Seems inflammatory to me. Losing anesthesia? Probably not, more likely that all other dental specialities would lose that first with the minimal training they receive. AAOMS has recently partnered with ACGME to sync up the OMS and medical training accreditation standards, this will increase the exposure as well as legitimacy of the anesthesia training. Interesting point about the wisdom teeth technology. BTW, this technology is not new, existed in 2005 when I was in dental school and nothing came of it then and I expect nothing will come of this now.

Reactions: 9 users
Seems inflammatory to me. Losing anesthesia? Probably not, more likely that all other dental specialities would lose that first with the minimal training they receive. AAOMS has recently partnered with ACGME to sync up the OMS and medical training accreditation standards, this will increase the exposure as well as legitimacy of the anesthesia training. Interesting point about the wisdom teeth technology. BTW, this technology is not new, existed in 2005 when I was in dental school and nothing came of it then and I expect nothing will come of this now.
What are some problems you see with the technology? Interesting it existed in 2005. I wonder why it did not catch on the first time. They have the invisalign marketer on this tech now

What are some problems you see with the technology? Interesting it existed in 2005. I wonder why it did not catch on the first time. They have the invisalign marketer on this tech now
Parents won’t even get their kids vaccinated, and now you want to beam their heads with lasers to destroy teeth?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
This thread is cancerous. I think what we can all agree with is that dental tuition gonna hit 1 mil average soon. /end thread.

Parents won’t even get their kids vaccinated, and now you want to beam their heads with lasers to destroy teeth?
You make a good point but it's marketed as "gentle warming" via microwaves

You make a good point but it's marketed as "gentle warming" via microwaves
Sales people and marketers have one job: convince people to give them money. But yeah don’t listen to all the surgeons on here who aren’t in their pocket; that’d be silly

Sales people and marketers have one job: convince people to give them money. But yeah don’t listen to all the surgeons on here who aren’t in their pocket; that’d be silly
Having asked aroudn it seems like most people wouldn't bite this even in the context of "warming". Another issue seems to stem from it being prophylactic which most people don't even do for their 3rds unless referred by a dentist. They seem quite confident in the technology and we can only wait and see.