Caution for those going into OMFS for Private Practice/Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think any dental school graduate could complete any residency. The selection is only necessary because of the scarcity of the training programs.
Obviously, this statement is not true. So, if only there were enough spots for everyone = everyone would be successful during residency? This is not only false but is a victimhood mentality…the complete opposite of what you want as a resident. Scarcity = competition = sacrifice, dedication, tenacity.

What I think you are refusing to accept is that the same tenacity/sacrifice to get the grades, CBSE score, and so much more is only a starting point to help you during residency. I’m really enjoying residency (I’m not kidding…this is coming from someone that is in their intern year). BUT, the tenacity/sacrifice is real, the amount of hours you work is real, the learning curve is real, the amount of patients you see in a day is real, the amount of on-call (seems like everyday…lol) is real. So, if you do not have the willingness to sacrifice so much and the tenacity to make yourself a competitive candidate, you will likely not have the tenacity and willingness to sacrifice so much of yourself while in residency.

I say all that to say this…Yappy, I know a lot of us kid around on here time-to-time, but seriously, no matter what, you have to be ok with your outcome and be the best version of yourself…and you should not dismiss those who chose to sacrifice so much in their journey to be the best version of themselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that was stone cold preposterous lol

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not a victim mentality; I said that I think any dental school graduate could complete any residency. It’s not that outlandish if you think about it. You probably had similar DAT and GPA scores as other matriculants. At graduation you had a similar knowledge base to your peers. Every year tons of non-cats that are not selected fulfill their requirements similar to you. Your dental class peers could do it too.
What you’re alluding to by describing your schedule is does someone want to do a specialty, or do they want to do the training. I will agree that not everyone does.

Obviously, this statement is not true. So, if only there were enough spots for everyone = everyone would be successful during residency? This is not only false but is a victimhood mentality…the complete opposite of what you want as a resident. Scarcity = competition = sacrifice, dedication, tenacity.

What I think you are refusing to accept is that the same tenacity/sacrifice to get the grades, CBSE score, and so much more is only a starting point to help you during residency. I’m really enjoying residency (I’m not kidding…this is coming from someone that is in their intern year). BUT, the tenacity/sacrifice is real, the amount of hours you work is real, the learning curve is real, the amount of patients you see in a day is real, the amount of on-call (seems like everyday…lol) is real. So, if you do not have the willingness to sacrifice so much and the tenacity to make yourself a competitive candidate, you will likely not have the tenacity and willingness to sacrifice so much of yourself while in residency.

I say all that to say this…Yappy, I know a lot of us kid around on here time-to-time, but seriously, no matter what, you have to be ok with your outcome and be the best version of yourself…and you should not dismiss those who chose to sacrifice so much in their journey to be the best version of themselves.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
He/she has already done that. Realized after their score, that they didn't need oral surgery anyways.
I took it a few times before I got a competitive score, for the time that I was applying. But even if I didn’t I don’t think that invalidates my opinion. The NBME is relatively new. Programs before the exam produced competent surgeons. Four year program graduates today do not pass USMLE step 1 but are regarded as equally capable surgeons.
@ivc.ch I said similar, not the same.

Last edited:
I took it a few times before I got a competitive score, for the time that I was applying. But even if I didn’t I don’t think that invalidates my opinion. The NBME is relatively new. Programs before the exam produced competent surgeons. Four year program graduates today do not pass USMLE step 1 but are regarded as equally capable surgeons.
@ivc.ch I said similar, not the same.
I wouldn't say a 57 is a competitive score, but hey, to each their own.

And yes, I agree with you, anyone could do an oral surgery residency if you put your mind to it, doesn't have to be a dental student.

America is the land of oppportunity and if you believe, it will happen.

It’s not a victim mentality; I said that I think any dental school graduate could complete any residency. It’s not that outlandish if you think about it. You probably had similar DAT and GPA scores as other matriculants. At graduation you had a similar knowledge base to your peers. Every year tons of non-cats that are not selected fulfill their requirements similar to you. Your dental class peers could do it too.
What you’re alluding to by describing your schedule is does someone want to do a specialty, or do they want to do the training. I will agree that not everyone does.
Yes, everybody has similar stats when matriculating into dental school, but you can't discount all of the extra hours you put in over the 4 years to successfully pursue OMFS. By the end of it you graduate with a different knowledge base.

I "could" look like Schwarzenegger if I spent 8 hours in the gym everyday ... but I don't so I wouldn't say that.

I think it's more accurate to say that anyone entering dental school "could" put the effort in, but not every grad can complete an OMFS residency.

BTW I probably could not complete a prosth residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes it is. You are making yourself into a victim. Step one…you have to work out of that without belittling what others have achieved. Instead of moving on and just working on being the best that you can be, you consistently attempt to dismiss others hard work who have earned a spot or working to earn a spot in an OMFS residency. Also, I believe that you believe you are making these 30,000 level arguments but you are not and you are not coming across as I think you believe you are. in fact, you are coming across angry, bitter, and a victim. I’m not trying to be mean and I’m actually empathetic to your situation, but the answer is not to dismiss all the hard work and sacrifices someone takes to get into and through a 4 or 6 year OMFS residency. I don’t expect you to truly understand, but I hope you are strong enough to take a more positive outlook on your chosen path in dentistry.

Yes it is. You are making yourself into a victim. Step one…you have to work out of that without belittling what others have achieved. Instead of moving on and just working on being the best that you can be, you consistently attempt to dismiss others hard work who have earned a spot or working to earn a spot in an OMFS residency. Also, I believe that you believe you are making these 30,000 level arguments but you are not and you are not coming across as I think you believe you are. in fact, you are coming across angry, bitter, and a victim. I’m not trying to be mean and I’m actually empathetic to your situation, but the answer is not to dismiss all the hard work and sacrifices someone takes to get into and through a 4 or 6 year OMFS residency. I don’t expect you to truly understand, but I hope you are strong enough to take a more positive outlook on your chosen path in dentistry.
The confusing part for me is that I do feel good about my career in dentistry. Where did you get the idea that I don’t? Im pretty positive about it and encourage others into the field, with a few caveats that I think are important. I chose not to specialize because it was preferable to me.

It seems like you’re projecting your own values onto me and my comments; almost like you’re having an argument with yourself. Or, maybe you’re being passive aggressive and feigning empathy to say my situation is not what I want? It’s kind of silly how transparent it is.

You have not refuted any of my arguments. All you have are personal jabs. If we’re giving unsolicited advice, I think you should work on kindness and humility. Your ego is on full display and it’s obvious why my comment annoyed you into insulting me.

Just some random OMFS headed into the office:

IMG_0229.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The confusing part for me is that I do feel good about my career in dentistry. Where did you get the idea that I don’t? Im pretty positive about it and encourage others into the field, with a few caveats that I think are important. I chose not to specialize because it was preferable to me.

It seems like you’re projecting your own values onto me and my comments; almost like you’re having an argument with yourself. Or, maybe you’re being passive aggressive and feigning empathy to say my situation is not what I want? It’s kind of silly how transparent it is.

You have not refuted any of my arguments. All you have are personal jabs. If we’re giving unsolicited advice, I think you should work on kindness and humility. Your ego is on full display and it’s obvious why my comment annoyed you into insulting me.
I have learned a long time ago that you can’t help someone until they realize they are the problem. I sincerely mean this, I really do wish you the best! :hello:

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Yappy just put a few thousand in triagenics and lobby with anesthesiologists to take away their surgery anesthesia privileges it is all one can do.

Did you complete a residency? Because residency is an entirely different beast compared to dental school, at least for the hospital based residency like OMFS, anesthesia, peds etc. Longer hours, much more intense, while learning the medicine involved with the sick patients you’re seeing. To help paint a picture, I just had a 24 hour call shift this week with multiple trauma patients and a patient who coded in the OR. I guarantee there are many dental students who could NOT complete residency.

Reactions: 4 users
“Could” is a very loose, ambiguous word to hide behind. Let’s word it as though not everyone is “built” for it

As a d4 that’s 5 months from graduating, I had a patient tell me yesterday she had pain. I’m not in so I tell her to just walk-in to see someone todah. After today’s visit she told me the other student dentist wrote some meds for her to pick up at the pharmacy.

Yappy is hung up on everyone being similar at graduation while I still have classmates doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_8466.png
    IMG_8466.png
    886.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Yappy just put a few thousand in triagenics and lobby with anesthesiologists to take away their surgery anesthesia privileges it is all one can do.
Yes! They’re all behind you!

Attachments

• IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Haha
Did you complete a residency? Because residency is an entirely different beast compared to dental school, at least for the hospital based residency like OMFS, anesthesia, peds etc. Longer hours, much more intense, while learning the medicine involved with the sick patients you’re seeing. To help paint a picture, I just had a 24 hour call shift this week with multiple trauma patients and a patient who coded in the OR. I guarantee there are many dental students who could NOT complete residency.
I have not done a residency but sometimes I wonder if my average day as general dentist is harder than the average day of a resident. I have 4-5 patient interactions every hour and I work 8am-6pm without a lunch. I also bear the full medical legal consequences of my decisions and actions. The average resident I saw when I was a student, even OMFS, had a more chill workday than that. A LOT more computer and “water-cooler” time.

Im not trying to say “look at me” because Im not doing anything special. All I'm saying is that dental school prepares us for a job that is much more challenging than the training is. Yet, all the graduates I know have risen to the challenge and are employed. How is residency different? It sounds like you have had to adjusted to it too.

Last edited:
I have not done a residency but sometimes I wonder if my average day as general dentist is harder than the average day of a resident. I have 4-5 patient interactions every hour and I work 8am-6pm without a lunch. I also bear the full medical legal consequences of my decisions and actions. The average resident I saw when I was a student, even OMFS, had a more chill workday than that. A LOT more computer and “water-cooler” time.

Im not trying to say “look at me” because Im not doing anything special. All I'm saying is that dental school prepares us for a job that is much more challenging than the training is. Yet, all the graduates I know have risen to the challenge and are employed. How is residency different? It sounds like you have had to adjusted to it too.
Yeah residents are known for just hanging out all day… you probably saw a small fraction of their day. I know some specialties have more relaxed residencies (ortho for one), I know for a fact that most residencies are much more intense. What you didn’t see is that OMFS/anesthesi/peds etc residents aren’t “chilling” and spending time on the computer all day, they’re in an out of cases, consults, rapid responses and codes, all in top of 24 hour call shifts. Try telling a resident that’s working 80+ hours a week that they’re spending too much time “chilling”

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah residents are known for just hanging out all day… you probably saw a small fraction of their day. I know some specialties have more relaxed residencies (ortho for one), I know for a fact that most residencies are much more intense. What you didn’t see is that OMFS/anesthesi/peds etc residents aren’t “chilling” and spending time on the computer all day, they’re in an out of cases, consults, rapid responses and codes, all in top of 24 hour call shifts. Try telling a resident that’s working 80+ hours a week that they’re spending too much time “chilling”
And even if it looks like they’re just texting on their phone in the call room and chilling, they’re probably actually responding to messages about patients on Epic. And their computer time is typing up notes. Not exactly Netflix going on in there

Reactions: 1 users
My lying eyes. In all seriousness Im not saying it’s easy. You’re doing something special and Im sure your patients & referrals will benefit from the education you’re receiving. But let’s not get crazy. No need to act the martyr.

Last edited:

Damn bro you work 8am to 6pm, see 4-5 pts per hour, and you post on sdn incessantly during those hours. You are a savant.

Keep posting from the wrong end of the curve.
1704491129418.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Damn bro you work 8am to 6pm, see 4-5 pts per hour, and you post on sdn incessantly during those hours. You are a savant.

Keep posting from the wrong end of the curve.
View attachment 380484
IMG_0241.jpeg

Wear would knowing the difference between “no” and “know” place one on this graph? Asking for a friend…

Big Hoss

• Haha
I have not done a residency but sometimes I wonder if my average day as a Wawa cashier is harder than the average day of an OMFS resident. I have 4-5 customer interactions every hour and I work 9am-5pm without a lunch. I also bear the full consequences of our customer’s munchies.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users