Caution for those going into OMFS for Private Practice/Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems inflammatory to me. Losing anesthesia? Probably not, more likely that all other dental specialities would lose that first with the minimal training they receive. AAOMS has recently partnered with ACGME to sync up the OMS and medical training accreditation standards, this will increase the exposure as well as legitimacy of the anesthesia training. Interesting point about the wisdom teeth technology. BTW, this technology is not new, existed in 2005 when I was in dental school and nothing came of it then and I expect nothing will come of this now.

What’s the importance of this AAOMS/ACGME partnership if you don’t mind me asking? Will our time on service count towards the ACGME certificate time now for the medical license? Don’t think that’s ever truly been an issue but curious to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

What’s the importance of this AAOMS/ACGME partnership if you don’t mind me asking? Will our time on service count towards the ACGME certificate time now for the medical license? Don’t think that’s ever truly been an issue but curious to hear your thoughts.

Hasn't time on service always counted towards the medical license?

Hasn't time on service always counted towards the medical license?

Nope - program dependent. At some programs, you’re guaranteed 2 years. Other programs, the general surgery department will “sign off on it” (though it isn’t official), while others won’t sign off on it at all. It’s weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this already exists but only in a few states. Currently, in most states NO OMS time counts toward GME time unless already agreed upon by state as states issue the licenses. AAOMS is pushing to make this national but partnering with the ACGME on the issue.

What are some problems you see with the technology? Interesting it existed in 2005. I wonder why it did not catch on the first time. They have the invisalign marketer on this tech now
Its treating a problem that does not exist. Unless mandated it will not be something parent do to their children.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, this already exists but only in a few states. Currently, in most states NO OMS time counts toward GME time unless already agreed upon by state as states issue the licenses. AAOMS is pushing to make this national but partnering with the ACGME on the issue.

What states? Do you happen to have a list? Thanks in advance!

I’m too lazy to really read about this technology right now. But what are the odds a kid develops something like an odontoma if the tooth bud isn’t completely ablated? How many kids are going to have hypoplastic second molars because they were close to the field? You might say I’m a skeptic and that I think OMFS is safe.

Big Hoss

I’m too lazy to really read about this technology right now. But what are the odds a kid develops something like an odontoma if the tooth bud isn’t completely ablated? How many kids are going to have hypoplastic second molars because they were close to the field? You might say I’m a skeptic and that I think OMFS is safe.

Big Hoss
Big Hoss:

I would like to introduce myself. I am the founder of TriAgenics and developer of TriAgenics' Zero3 fully-guided tooth bud ablation (3TBA) technology. Feel free to fire questions at me or email me at [email protected].

According to Wikipedia (sure beats dusting off my Ten Cate's Oral Histology textbook) "An odontoma, also known as an odontome, is a benign tumour linked to tooth development. Specifically, it is a dental hamartoma, meaning that it is composed of normal dental tissue that has grown in an irregular way. It includes both odontogenic hard and soft tissues.[1] As with normal tooth development, odontomas stop growing once mature which makes them benign." Because there is no tooth development because 100% of the tooth bud tissue is ablated in fully-guided 3TBA, there is no risk of an odontoma forming.

Please reference the three attached articles. The Dentistry Today article will provide a great overview of the guided 3TBA procedure. The two publications that appeared in the journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery were peer-reviewed by a team of oral surgeons. The histological evaluations summarized in the publications will provide insight into the rapid bony ingrowth with no detectable viable tooth bud tissue.

As with all surgery, you have to objectively weigh the potential risks against the short-term and long-term outcomes associated with any procedure. I can assure you that every oral surgeon that has evaluated our guided 3TBA technology concludes that guided 3TBA is far safer than any form of third molar removal surgery later in life. More importantly, the life-long outcomes of never forming third molars is undisputable compared to the residual problems following conventional third molar surgery. We expect no complications - osteitis is not possible - which will allow kids to be able to immediately go out and play following 3TBA. That is a quite a contrast from the average 3 days of lost work or school following surgical removal of third molars!

Go Gophers!

Leigh Colby

Attachments

• Colby - Quick Techniques - Dentistry Today - 09-2023.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Colby-Fully Guided Tooth Bud Ablation in Pigs-2022.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Colby & Watson - Fully Guided Tooth Bud Ablation Results in Tooth Agenesis.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
Its treating a problem that does not exist. Unless mandated it will not be something parent do to their children.
Nade:

Treating a problem that does not exist is the best possible treatment when managing third molars. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends removal of third molars before pathology develops. (AAPD recommendation attached). In a study by Cunha Cruz (attached), the demonstrated standard of care in her evidence-based research shows that most dentists recommend prophylactic removal of third molars. Insurance-based research - (such as that by Eklund, attached) - clearly demonstrates that most third molars are removed early in life.

The most convincing study - by Vranckx (attached) on removing asymptomatic third molars appears to be the largest prospective longitudinal study. This study followed more than 6,000 patients having over 15,000 third molars removed. The authors' conclusions are clear: remove third molars before problems develop - preferably before age 25 - in order to reduce complications and improve outcomes.

I am the developer of the fully-guided third molar ablation (3TBA) procedure. In pilot studies for fully guided 3TBA - which were conducted by independent oral surgeons - 100% of the parents wanted their kids to have 3TBA because they did not want their kids to suffer like they did.

Leigh Colby

Attachments

• Cunha-Cruz - Recomendations for Third Molar Removal-practice-based Cohort Study=-2014.pdf
    640.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Eklund-Trends in dental Treatment-1992 to 2007-2010.pdf
    157.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Vranckx-Prophylactic VS Symptomatic Third Molar Removal-Post Op Morbidity-2021.pdf
    817.9 KB · Views: 42
thanks for coming here and chiming in Dr Colby! Curious what the omfs residents and attendings have to say to this. Great discussion

PSA to everyone going into OMFS for private practice/dental procedures. The days of a secure future in private practice are numbered. One company is planning to ablate wisdom teeth buds before they become wisdom teeth which will undercut oral and maxillofacial surgeons like never before. It is marketed to general dentists and pediatric dentists in mind and has already completed animal testing. If you do not love big OR procedures and want to spend most of your career doing dentoalveolar, all I can say is good luck.

Secondly, it is increasingly a subject of debate for oral surgeons to perform anesthesia while doing procedures. I would not expect this to be here for more than 10 years. Again, if performing office-based anesthesia is one of the reasons you will apply and go through a grueling residency, think hard.

To lose all wisdom teeth extractions and then to lose anesthesia is a great blow. I feel sympathy for those going into oral and maxillofacial surgery especially those with many years left between dental school and residency and beyond. Consider doing another dental specialty if you are hoping for a majority of your time being spent in private practice such as periodontics. A 4-6 year grueling residency only to have the private practice landscape completely altered is a risk I would not recommend to anyone. I'm quite thankful I am going for periodontics because I love it. This only confirms the decision was correct.
JQRS:

I am the founder of TriAgenics and the developer of the fully guided third molar tooth bud ablation technology (3TBA) that you are discussing. I am enjoying the lively conversation you triggered and would like to join in.

I can personally assure you that "the days of a secure future in private practice" for OMFS docs are not numbered. Just the opposite!

I work with a number of oral surgeons that are acting as advisors/consultants on our research. I have presented to the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery's Committee on Technology Assessment and Research planning at the AAOMS headquarters in Chicago. I have been invited to present to oral surgery residents as part of their training. Every oral surgeon I meet with is impressed with the precision of the technology. Given the surgical mechanisms employed, they all agree that we should expect the same results in humans that we get in our animal trials, which is 100% success at complete molar agenesis with no observable side effects.

The precision of the fully guided 3TBA procedure is remarkable, which is why we have had perfect outcomes in animal trials. We use pigs because their tooth buds are nearly identical in size to humans. Just as important, pigs have been documented to have the same healing process as humans following microwave ablation. We place the prescribed margins of ablation with 0.5 mm accuracy, which effectively minimizes the risk of collateral tissue damage.

We fully expect to demonstrate that there will be no adverse surgical outcomes. Given the grim statistics for post-op complications following surgical removal of third molars, fully guided 3TBA will be far safer and have better lifelong outcomes. Oral surgeons all view this as an opportunity to improve patient care...and treat more patients than they are currently treating now.

Please fire questions at me after you have had a chance to review the attached articles on 3TBA. This is an interesting discussion!

Leigh Colby

Attachments

2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • Colby - Quick Techniques - Dentistry Today - 09-2023.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
thanks for coming here and chiming in Dr Colby! Curious what the omfs residents and attendings have to say to this. Great discussion
I have been invited to present to oral surgery residents as part of their training. The oral surgeons are proving to be a great bunch to work with!

Members don't see this ad :)
To further add to my argument, take a look at the article posted here:

This is a study discussing the anatomical variation and studying the relation of developing third molar buds in relation to the IAN canal and the lingual nerve. Here is a snippet depicting clearly a perforation/discontinuity at the lingual cortex of a young child's mandible. If you were to irradiate the tooth bud here in this radiograph with microwave radiation, there would be no lingual cortical bone at that perforation to prevent the heat from spreading into the lingual tissue, which could very well house the lingual nerve.
View attachment 376695

Another key issue is the fact that children will likely need to be very still for this procedure, lest you run the risk of them thrashing and having the radiation not be delivered in a precise targeted zone. This would likely necessitate the use of general anesthetics, including sevoflurane, propofol, ketamine, etc. All of these are proven to cause neuroapoptosis in developing children. So you're telling me you want to expose these young children to general anesthesia and all of the associated risks all because they MIGHT have an impacted wisdom tooth in the future? That's ridiculous.

I am confident that once the FDA receives their application for review on use of this technology in humans (particularly CHILDREN subjects), it will be denied due to the risks outweighing the benefits. I would never let my kid be a test subject in this study-the entire premise is ludicrous. The standards, safety precautions, and ethical considerations for delivering care to pediatric patients is much higher and more stringent than with adults, and rightfully so. I am just an OMFS resident and I've already thought of all these issues. I'm sure the FDA has many intelligent people who will find many more issues with this company's technology and proposition.

Odontoblaster:

I am enjoying this lively conversation and encourage others to chime in. If you can punch any holes in what we are working on, please BRING IT ON!!!

As the developer of the fully guided third molar ablation (3TBA technology), the first thing I did when starting this project was to define all surgical requirements of the 3TBA procedure. Surgical outcome requirements included >99% success at inducing complete molar agenesis with ZERO detectable long-term side effects. We adamantly believe that we will achieve this in the marketplace.

When starting, I was entirely technology agnostic in evaluating soft tissue ablation technologies. What I quickly - and quite unexpectedly - learned was there was no existing medical ablation technology that met the surgical specifications I had defined. My response was to develop a novel technology (24 US and international patents issued) that met all predefined surgical requirements for safe 3TBA in children. We can deliver medical ablations with higher precision than any existing soft tissue ablation system in the medical space.

This is not the first time I have led the development of a new technology from ground zero. I was the principal founder of Laserdyne Corporation, which remains the world leader in general purpose industrial laser machining systems. I put myself through college as a high-tolerance machinist. I am accustomed to working with 1,200 watt laser systems with 0.001" positioning accuracy in 7 axes of movement in a 36w"X 24h"X 24"d volume. 3TBA is quite simple by comparison. 3TBA requires only 0.5 mm positioning accuracy for placing the center of ablation in the center of the tooth bud with placement of ablation margins with 0.1 mm ablation zone diameter planning resolution. As you might imagine, in private practice, all my dental implant placements were spot on!

Regarding the FDA, we are seeking 510(k) clearance. As such, we are not required to have human clinical data as part of our 510(k) application. Regardless, we will be going into human clinical trials in Q1 or Q2 of 2024. We have multiple oral surgeons that are excited to participate. They all see fully guided 3TBA as being FAR safer than surgical removal of third molars.

Regarding the risks outweighing the benefits, you might have your logic inverted. The risks associated with surgically removing third molars are many and are well known. Because of the minimally invasive nature of the guided 3TBA procedure - which involves a single puncture - we expect ZERO complications with no recovery time. There is no possibility of painful osteitis and virtually no risk of immediate or delayed onset infections.

Regarding proximity to the mandibular canal and possible IAN injury, I led a study that evaluated over 1,000 cone beam CT scans. We measured the diameter of third molar tooth buds and their proximity to the mandibular canal. The average distance from the inferior portion of any mandibular third molar tooth bud was about 5 mm. If we intentional over-ablated a third molar tooth bud with a 10X increase in the total thermal dose, the zone of thermally affected tissue would not come close to the mandibular canal. In the pig studies I conducted with over 200 ablations, we could detect ZERO change in the study animals' lip sensitivity, even though the IAN was less than 0.5 mm from treated tooth buds. Please refer to the attached article, which explains how we tested for neurological deficits and what how thetooth buds appear radiographically on the superior aspect of the mandibular canal. We were frankly surpised that there was no reduction in lip sensitivity because there was histological evidence that the superior aspect of the IAN was affected. At 28 days post op, there was no evidence of thermal damage to the IAN. It appears likely that any thermally induce effects were either subclinical or reversible in nature.

Finally, there were no bony defects induce by 3TBA in our live animal trials. Instead, healing is fast with no infections or other post op complications. Because new medullary bone ingrowth occurs rapidly (in the pig model) there was complete healing at 28 days post-ablation in both the histology and on the radiographs. We expect a similar healing response in children and expect to see no evidence of the treatment site at 28 days post-ablation.

Please keep the discussion going!

Leigh Colby

Attachments

• Colby & Watson - Fully Guided Tooth Bud Ablation Results in Tooth Agenesis.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
To further add to my argument, take a look at the article posted here:

This is a study discussing the anatomical variation and studying the relation of developing third molar buds in relation to the IAN canal and the lingual nerve. Here is a snippet depicting clearly a perforation/discontinuity at the lingual cortex of a young child's mandible. If you were to irradiate the tooth bud here in this radiograph with microwave radiation, there would be no lingual cortical bone at that perforation to prevent the heat from spreading into the lingual tissue, which could very well house the lingual nerve.
View attachment 376695

Another key issue is the fact that children will likely need to be very still for this procedure, lest you run the risk of them thrashing and having the radiation not be delivered in a precise targeted zone. This would likely necessitate the use of general anesthetics, including sevoflurane, propofol, ketamine, etc. All of these are proven to cause neuroapoptosis in developing children. So you're telling me you want to expose these young children to general anesthesia and all of the associated risks all because they MIGHT have an impacted wisdom tooth in the future? That's ridiculous.

I am confident that once the FDA receives their application for review on use of this technology in humans (particularly CHILDREN subjects), it will be denied due to the risks outweighing the benefits. I would never let my kid be a test subject in this study-the entire premise is ludicrous. The standards, safety precautions, and ethical considerations for delivering care to pediatric patients is much higher and more stringent than with adults, and rightfully so. I am just an OMFS resident and I've already thought of all these issues. I'm sure the FDA has many intelligent people who will find many more issues with this company's technology and proposition.
I would like to add that I owned a large group practice (over 10,000 active patients) and saw most of the kids because the other docs didn't want to. The fully guided 3TBA procedure - based upon delivering more than 200 successful ablations in pigs - will be easier than placing a one-surface posterior composite restoration. Our 3TBA clinical trial protocol calls for 1/2 carpule of articaine on the lateral and and 1/2 carpule on the medial aspects of the targeted third molar tooth bud....nothing more. There are no nerve endings inside the tooth bud at this stage, which means only soft tissue anesthesia is required. Based on my experience in working with lots of kids and with the use of the 3TBA surgical guide, the kids can move all they want and I know I can successfully deliver the 3TBA treatment.

Leigh Colby

Interesting technology. I wonder if zapping the area with heat waves can damage the IAN or pulp damage to the 2nd molar. Kinda hard to test in a pig.

“Good news Mom, we stopped little Jimmy’s wisdoms teeth from coming in. Bad news, he’ll never feel his chin and is gonna need 4 root canals”
Wisetoothshucker:

You have valid concerns! The micro-ablation technology is exceptionally accurate. No shot gun approach here! Please see the attached articles that were published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. They will help you better understand what the expected outcomes are.

Leigh Colby

Attachments

2.6 MB · Views: 51
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
Interesting that when the CEO himsel comes with literature even published in JOMS the thread dies. Concerning for the field

• Haha
Wisetoothshucker:

You have valid concerns! The micro-ablation technology is exceptionally accurate. No shot gun approach here! Please see the attached articles that were published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. They will help you better understand what the expected outcomes are.

Leigh Colby

Thank you for your insight.
I didnt read the whole thread or your paper, so please excuse me if this was already covered.

My understanding is that ablation needs to be completed at an early age. So at such an early age just looking at the buds, how do you know or predict which wisdom teeth will be functional vs non-functional in the future?

Thank you for your insight.
I didnt read the whole thread or your paper, so please excuse me if this was already covered.

My understanding is that ablation needs to be completed at an early age. So at such an early age just looking at the buds, how do you know or predict which wisdom teeth will be functional vs non-functional in the future?
Exactly why insurance would deny it

Would you still propose sedating kids for this procedure because that would absolutely play a role in determining if this is viable. Sedation of healthy teenagers is usually relatively easy but placing IVs and sedating young children all day would be much harder and not something most surgeons want to deal with all day.

Interesting that when the CEO himsel comes with literature even published in JOMS the thread dies. Concerning for the field
Just seriously be quiet. There is no scenario that this is “concerning for the field”. This will never become ubiquitous treatment in our lifetime, and even if it did the “field” would be fine. Also many of the questions voiced in this thread remain unaddressed, at least in a practical sense. It’s obvious you just want to validate yourself and your own choices. Trust me, the only reason people stopped posting is because the points were made and we got bored. This is exactly the kind of unhelpful garbage the site doesn’t need. I appreciate the input by the company itself, but I take all of it with a grain of salt. As we all should.

Reactions: 3 users
You are the definition of a troll. We are all too busy doing surgery to respond to people like you.

Exactly why insurance would deny it
Oh this is a fun one. Why would insurance deny removing a non-diseased tooth? Well, most insurance companies currently will not approve removal of wisdom teeth with no symptoms and/or no disease (caries, perio). In fact, the AAOMS white paper states that prophylaxis is not a reason to remove wisdom teeth as the risk/odds ration is not strong enough. That being said, the convention dental "wisdom" (get what I did there?) is that the wisdom teeth will probably cause problems in the future so prophylactic removal is still a common practice and routinely covered by commercial insurance. My current experience is that it is getting harder and harder to get approval to remove wisdom teeth. I do believe that in the next 5 years most, if not all, insurance companies will require a prior authorization to perform any routine, electice procedure. The days of "meet and treat" could be getting more difficult. I could also be very wrong, but I work in multiple practice settings and there is a definite trend.

Getting an insurance company to pay for prophylactic wisdom tooth ablation on a pre-teen will be the big hurdle. But who knows, the only thing I know after 15+ years is that I really have no idea.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know if it’s “concerning for the field” but there are differences between clinicians and innovators or scientists. Clinicians like for things to stay the same as when they were in training.

Respect the hustle and good luck Dr. Colby with your endeavors. Two thoughts I had reading your comments. I don’t know if I agree with painting wisdom teeth removal as grim statistically/far less safe as a whole. Maybe less safe but largely dependent on who is diagnosing and treating the patient. Point two, how can you predict in kids whether their future wisdom teeth will erupt into functional occlusion? As in, why remove a tooth, a molar at that, that may end up being a good tooth they can use

Oh this is a fun one. Why would insurance deny removing a non-diseased tooth? Well, most insurance companies currently will not approve removal of wisdom teeth with no symptoms and/or no disease (caries, perio). In fact, the AAOMS white paper states that prophylaxis is not a reason to remove wisdom teeth as the risk/odds ration is not strong enough. That being said, the convention dental "wisdom" (get what I did there?) is that the wisdom teeth will probably cause problems in the future so prophylactic removal is still a common practice and routinely covered by commercial insurance. My current experience is that it is getting harder and harder to get approval to remove wisdom teeth. I do believe that in the next 5 years most, if not all, insurance companies will require a prior authorization to perform any routine, electice procedure. The days of "meet and treat" could be getting more difficult. I could also be very wrong, but I work in multiple practice settings and there is a definite trend.

Getting an insurance company to pay for prophylactic wisdom tooth ablation on a pre-teen will be the big hurdle. But who knows, the only thing I know after 15+ years is that I really have no idea.
You’re right, doc. I’m just salty about all of the insurance appeals I’ve had to write over the past month for 3rds.

Respect the hustle and good luck Dr. Colby with your endeavors. Two thoughts I had reading your comments. I don’t know if I agree with painting wisdom teeth removal as grim statistically/far less safe as a whole. Maybe less safe but largely dependent on who is diagnosing and treating the patient. Point two, how can you predict in kids whether their future wisdom teeth will erupt into functional occlusion? As in, why remove a tooth, a molar at that, that may end up being a good tooth they can use
I agree.
The decision to extract wisdom teeth is multi-factorial. I'm not a huge fan of the decision to extract wisdom teeth buds prophylactically. Many of these kids may need future ortho tx requiring premolar extractions. These PM extractions and subsequent ortho alignment can aid in providing additional room for 3rd molar eruption. I hate the look of a dentition missing 4 bis and 4 wisdom teeth.
The clinical decision to extract 3rds should be made during the late teens. After careful consideration of any soft tissue issues (inflammation) and the resultant occlusal situation before or after ortho tx.

Logistically the treatment won’t work.

Kids will not tolerate this procedure under local. The thought of numbing all 4 quadrants will result in screaming children. On top of that, fitting in a surgical guide, securing it on a crying moving child, while drilling an osteotomy. This is all fantasy talk. It works well on intubated pigs, but that is about where it ends.

Seeing kids is among the most challenging things any oral surgeon can do. With the most simplest procedure under local (say extraction of 1-2 primary teeth) they can be screaming and difficult to manage. This is even before the local. It gets worse during and after local. On top of that you have to deal with the parents also. Most of them demand to stay in the room. As a general rule I don’t allow anyone on the operatory other than the patient. One time after I gave local anesthetic for extraction of 2 primary teeth, the kid was screaming so loud the dad walked into the operatory, picked up his son put him on the shoulder and started walking out. I told him : the local was already given, we came this far there is no need to do this LOL. His response : ‘I’m so sorry doc… I just can’t see and hear him like this…’. The dad looked like was about to cry himself. Dental phobia and anxiety is a serious issue for kids.

The other night I was at the dinner table. I have five kids myself. 3 of them are in the age range 6-12. I asked my daughter who is 9 that there is a special technology that could be coming out soon! I tried to act excited and did my absolute best to sell 3rd molar ablation to her. My exact words : it’ll take only a few minutes. All we do is gently warm the area and the wisdom teeth disappear forever ! You can go play right after (Colby’s own words lol).
After a few seconds my wife and her asked if the warming hurts. I said no not at all you won’t feel it. When she found out she had to have local anesthesia and be awake during the numbing she started crying. I wouldn’t say that any of my kids have a dental phobia. They have done well with their dental visits in the past. But being honest with parents and the child and telling them you have to numb all four quadrants and give multiple injections - no one would consent to that. My daughter told me she will wait until she’s a teenager when I would agree to put her asleep.
This was just a fun exercise. I don’t believe in this procedure at all, I just wanted to see if I could convince my own child to want to have it done.

Having multiple appointments too is inconvenient for the child, parent and provider. Visit 1, impressions or 3 D scan. Then the doctor has to sit down with the technician to plan in 3D the actual surgery. Then there is the actual procedure. It’s just more steps for everyone involved. The majority of my wisdom teeth I have seen in the past and currently do: it’s done in 1 visit. I do the exam/consult and treatment the same day. It’s quick and easy. Less wasted time for the patient and provider.

Also removing wisdom teeth on a teenager is pretty minimally invasive and they heal very quickly. It’s unfair to compare 3rd molar ablation to removal of complex full bony impacted third molars on a full grown adult. A fair comparison is to a teenager below 20.

Also I haven’t even gotten into the finances. Many patients won’t even be able to afford it.
They are paying 350 per tooth. That’s 1400 alone. This doesn’t include the cost of the ct scan and exam from the provider. Most patient won’t be able to afford this. With conventional third molar surgery and anesthesia the insurance pays the vast majority of it. Sometimes patients don’t even pay a penny.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I agree.
The decision to extract wisdom teeth is multi-factorial. I'm not a huge fan of the decision to extract wisdom teeth buds prophylactically. Many of these kids may need future ortho tx requiring premolar extractions. These PM extractions and subsequent ortho alignment can aid in providing additional room for 3rd molar eruption. I hate the look of a dentition missing 4 bis and 4 wisdom teeth.
The clinical decision to extract 3rds should be made during the late teens. After careful consideration of any soft tissue issues (inflammation) and the resultant occlusal situation before or after ortho tx.
Every once in a while I get a referral from the ortho or general dentist specifically asking me to leave one of the wisdom teeth as I am extracting a decayed second molar in young teenager.
Example: I’m extracting 18 and 1 16 32.
The reason is that the orthodontist and/or general dentist is expecting the third molar to take the place of the decayed second molar I’m extracting.

If one were to have ablated all wisdom teeth prior, this flexibility is lost.

In all seriousness I don’t think third molar ablation will ever become a practical treatment for reasons listed above.

The best strategy for Colby would be to sell the startup now to gullible investors and hopefully cash in and make a small fortune. Wish him all the best. He should try this on his own grandchildren first before recommending it to anyone else.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

I have been looking at potentially investing in TriAgenics and came across this thread during my due diligence. I registered here to ask you knowledgeable folks some more questions. Insurance coverage is a huge deal in the medical field and easily makes or breaks a new technology regardless of other merits.

Can you or someone else elaborate a little bit more on insurance coverage on wisdom teeth? How much is a typical patient actually paying out of pocket for a four wisdom teeth extraction? How much is the insurance company paying for when they are paying?

You mention most insurance will deny removal of healthy teeth. What is actually required for them to offer coverage? How many folks are actually being covered by insurance? How many folks are getting teeth extracted proactively?

It was mentioned that teenage extraction is much easier than adult extraction. How would you rate these relative to each other on a scale of 1-10?

With how insurance companies are, I have quite a bit of skepticism that they would cover something like this due to reasons you guys have mentioned such as someone not ever having problems with the teeth or the simple fact that it may actually be the right thing to do but that patient may be on a different insurance in ten years when the teeth become a problem. Insurance is all about the $.

Thanks for your expertise and opinions!

Can you or someone else elaborate a little bit more on insurance coverage on wisdom teeth? How much is a typical patient actually paying out of pocket for a four wisdom teeth extraction? How much is the insurance company paying for when they are paying?

You mention most insurance will deny removal of healthy teeth. What is actually required for them to offer coverage? How many folks are actually being covered by insurance? How many folks are getting teeth extracted proactively?

It was mentioned that teenage extraction is much easier than adult extraction. How would you rate these relative to each other on a scale of 1-10?
Out of pocket extraction of 3rds under sedation is thousands. If covered by insurance, many patients pay 0. So if insurance isn’t covering, they usually don’t want it.

Insurance companies are more often requiring diagnoses of caries, abscess, or pericoronitis, and these need to be supported by clinical and radiographic evidence.

3rds in a teenager is a 2/10 - about as difficult as putting on my compression socks.

Impacted 3rds in an adult can be 9/10 - i swear it would be easier sometimes to take them out through the neck than the mouth.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Impacted 3rds in an adult can be 9/10 - i swear it would be easier sometimes to take them out through the neck than the mouth.
IMG_0153.gif

Big Hoss

Out of pocket extraction of 3rds under sedation is like 10k or more. If covered by insurance, many patients pay 0. So if insurance isn’t covering, they usually don’t want it.

Insurance companies are more often requiring diagnoses of caries, abscess, or pericoronitis, and these need to be supported by clinical and radiographic evidence.

3rds in a teenager is a 2/10 - about as difficult as putting on my compression socks.

Not sure where you’re practicing… I’m certainly not somewhere cheap and these numbers are laughably false. My fee for 4 thirds and anesthesia usually falls between 3-4k before insurance adjustments for being in network, which if you are in network can knock these down considerably. Insurance does usually cover the case, however, patients usually still foot around half of the total between copays and maximums.

Not sure where you’re practicing… I’m certainly not somewhere cheap and these numbers are laughably false. My fee for 4 thirds and anesthesia usually falls between 3-4k before insurance adjustments for being in network, which if you are in network can knock these down considerably. Insurance does usually cover the case, however, patients usually still foot around half of the total between copays and maximums.
Even your fees are high… I’m in a high COL area and my case fee is around 2500. Medicaid is about a quarter of this reimbursement.

Not to add fuel to fire, but just so you know, matching into Perio is statistically more difficult than Ortho, OMS, Peds, etc when you look at percent of applicants accepted. ADEA has released statistics for the last year and Perio had either the lowest or second lowest (with Prosth) match rates when you look at the percent of applicants who match. It is several percentage points lower than the rates of OMS applicants who match, LOL.

This is coming from someone who will never apply to Perio & has no stake in the convo. Just thought you’d know your statements aren’t coming off as any less “JD.” Maybe fact check before coming for an entire profession based off one post, lol.

You should Google "selection bias" and commit the definition to memory.

You should Google "selection bias" and commit the definition to memory.
Lol being still hung up over this a month later is bonkers. If you can’t comprehend that the subset of students that specializes in any specialty is generally categorically a similar caliber of student (high class rank, strong LOR’s, commitment via studying for CBSE, ADAT, externships, research, etc.) and most of the time the specialty chosen boils down to an individual’s career and clinical interests, and you think everyone that does other specialties has self-selected themselves out of OMFS, that’s pretty wild and out of touch.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Lol being still hung up over this a month later is bonkers. If you can’t comprehend that the subset of students that specializes in any specialty is generally categorically a similar caliber of student (high class rank, strong LOR’s, commitment via studying for CBSE, ADAT, externships, research, etc.) and most of the time the specialty chosen boils down to an individual’s career and clinical interests, and you think everyone that does other specialties has self-selected themselves out of OMFS, that’s pretty wild and out of touch.
Dude I think it's you that doesn't comprehend the amount of effort it takes to become a good OMFS applicant. Yes, all specialties want someone who is in a high rank, but besides a high rank and GPA, none of the other specialties have anything that make it unattainable. Ortho needs lots of research, and the GRE. Endo needs work experience. For perio, you need to *check notes* shadow the perio department. And honestly, I'm not even trying to knock on perio, but the reality is that a high rank and a few ECs, or a few years in the workforce, will make you competitive for most specialties. The CBSE on the other hand IS unattainable for many applicants, not because dental students are dumb, but because they have to study a whole other subject outside of their duties as a dental student. Yes, in addition to working hard for a high rank, a competitive OMFS applicant has also studied medicine enough to be not too far from medical students. How are you comparing that with some shadowing and research?

Dude I think it's you that doesn't comprehend the amount of effort it takes to become a good OMFS applicant. Yes, all specialties want someone who is in a high rank, but besides a high rank and GPA, none of the other specialties have anything that make it unattainable. Ortho needs lots of research, and the GRE. Endo needs work experience. For perio, you need to *check notes* shadow the perio department. And honestly, I'm not even trying to knock on perio, but the reality is that a high rank and a few ECs, or a few years in the workforce, will make you competitive for most specialties. The CBSE on the other hand IS unattainable for many applicants, not because dental students are dumb, but because they have to study a whole other subject outside of their duties as a dental student. Yes, in addition to working hard for a high rank, a competitive OMFS applicant has also studied medicine enough to be not too far from medical students. How are you comparing that with some shadowing and research?
A good amount even score better on the cbse than the average med student scores on step 1 (while also being top 10% class rank in dental school). Also, I’ve heard of a lot of people who wanted omfs drop out cus the competitiveness/difficulty to get in was too hard and they switched to perio. Never heard it the other way around.

It’s ok…let it go…stop rationalizing…just accept the outcome…be proud of what you will be doing.

You can only invest in triagenic technology and hope it becomes widespread. The marketing seems to be anti Omfs.

You can only invest in triagenic technology and hope it becomes widespread. The marketing seems to be anti Omfs.
If you equate me saying students from all specialties are generally a high caliber of student to being “anti-OMFS,” that’s an issue of self projection. I’m not Perio and have no desire to be. In fact I have two OMFS in my immediate family, I have huge respect for them. I felt inclined to defend perio colleagues when certain individual were commenting that “you can get in with a pulse and money to pay,” which IMO is tasteless to say & clearly not true when evaluating match numbers. We all know this triagenic mumbo jumbo poses no real threat to OMFS, lol.

If you equate me saying students from all specialties are generally a high caliber of student to being “anti-OMFS,” that’s an issue of self projection. I’m not Perio and have no desire to be. In fact I have two OMFS in my immediate family, I have huge respect for them. I felt inclined to defend perio colleagues when certain individual were commenting that “you can get in with a pulse and money to pay,” which IMO is tasteless to say & clearly not true when evaluating match numbers. We all know this triagenic mumbo jumbo poses no real threat to OMFS, lol.

The OMS community on this message board is strange. I don’t even think most of them are OMS who claim to be because of their outlandish statements. Everything seems to be an issue with them, even benign statements like the one you made.

Edit:
Doing what you’re interested in is most important, whether that is oms, perio, or some other field.
I think any dental school graduate could complete any residency. The selection is only necessary because of the scarcity of the training programs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Dislike
  • Hmm
The OMS community on this message board is strange. I don’t even think most of them are OMS who claim to be because of their outlandish statements. Everything seems to be an issue with them, even benign statements like the one you made.
Hey! Hey! Hey! It’s OMFS to you pal!!! ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha

Edit:
Doing what you’re interested in is most important, whether that is oms, perio, or some other field.
I think any dental school graduate could complete any residency. The selection is only necessary because of the scarcity of the training programs.
Those last two sentences are the most outlandish of all.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users