CBSE for OMFS format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TitusstheDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone who has written the NBME CBSE could describe the experience for me. I believe it is 200 questions over 4 hours, but beyond that I am not sure what to expect.

Are the questions organized by sections, or is the order completely random? And can you toggle back and forth between questions?

Are lab values given, and are pen and paper provided?

Also, does the sample material from this link (http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SE_ContentOutlineandSampleItems.pdf) give a fair representation of the test?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"The examination will contain 184 multiple-choice questions and any associated images/pictorials. Each exam will be administered during a four (4) hour and fifteen (15) minute testing session. The examination is divided into four 60-minute sessions. Unused time within a 60-minute section does not carry over to subsequent test sections. The timing for the test session does not include dedicated break time." - CBSE FAQ

It is a random mix of questions. You can toggle back and forth within a block. Once you finish a block, you can't go back to it.
Take a walk through the Sample Assessment provided by the NBME. It shows you the software's formatting and where to go for things like lab values. I'd recommend just having a general idea of some common lab values, becasue I remember myself wasting a lot of time scrolling around looking for lab values. You get a erase-board/marker. Make sure both of your markers works right as you take your seat.

Good luck.

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone who has written the NBME CBSE could describe the experience for me. I believe it is 200 questions over 4 hours, but beyond that I am not sure what to expect.

Are the questions organized by sections, or is the order completely random? And can you toggle back and forth between questions?

Are lab values given, and are pen and paper provided?

Also, does the sample material from this link (http://www.nbme.org/pdf/SubjectExams/SE_ContentOutlineandSampleItems.pdf) give a fair representation of the test?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"The examination will contain 184 multiple-choice questions and any associated images/pictorials. Each exam will be administered during a four (4) hour and fifteen (15) minute testing session. The examination is divided into four 60-minute sessions. Unused time within a 60-minute section does not carry over to subsequent test sections. The timing for the test session does not include dedicated break time." - CBSE FAQ

It is a random mix of questions. You can toggle back and forth within a block. Once you finish a block, you can't go back to it.
Take a walk through the Sample Assessment provided by the NBME. It shows you the software's formatting and where to go for things like lab values. I'd recommend just having a general idea of some common lab values, becasue I remember myself wasting a lot of time scrolling around looking for lab values. You get a erase-board/marker. Make sure both of your markers works right as you take your seat.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the advice!