CBT 10... Anode passage...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in CBT 10 PS's anode passage?

I found this to be the hardest PS so far... ended up with a 12 (which is my average). I missed 4 questions on the anode passage though =(

How do you tackle these types of passages? I seriously don't understand how anyone without an engineering background can understand these types of passages..

seems like you have to know what a particle accelerator is.. I've heard of this term before.. I just don't know what they are..

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i found it to be tough, was only really unsure about 1 question. dont know how i did though, im on break (about to finish up bio).

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in CBT 10 PS's anode passage?

I found this to be the hardest PS so far... ended up with a 12 (which is my average). I missed 4 questions on the anode passage though =(

How do you tackle these types of passages? I seriously don't understand how anyone without an engineering background can understand these types of passages..

seems like you have to know what a particle accelerator is.. I've heard of this term before.. I just don't know what they are..
what exactly did you have trouble with? was it a problem with understanding? if you tell me which question number i can tell you how i answered it... i got #43 wrong, but i know why i did now.

Most of info could be found in the passage and I could just pick the answers that made most sense. There was only one I found I had to really guess on and I missed it of course. Should have went with my first thought because it sounded right but went the other way. Oh well!!

I really never know anything outside of the passage for topics like that. I just seem to figure them out as long as I remember to think and I am not nervous.

I changed my thinking in the last week to actually read the passage first and it helped me not miss some. Now, I just have to cut out those stupid mistakes. I did take AAMC 10 with the TV on to distract me and I got two phone calls. I really should have only missed one or two on the PS but missed seven. For example, the half life question, I got 16 and forgot to cut it back down to 4. Stupid things like that. Hopefully, I can have a solid day on Monday. The curve on AAMC 10 I thought was really picky. I thought I was going to get a 35+ easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand the difference between the single-wire and the multiwire one. I don't understand the passage as a whole.. what does "ionizing" other particles mean?

And also .. how is an alpha particle +2 charged... doesnt it have 2 electron and 2 protons.. resulting in a neutral charge.. that was my logic..

I don't understand the difference between the single-wire and the multiwire one. I don't understand the passage as a whole.. what does "ionizing" other particles mean?

And also .. how is an alpha particle +2 charged... doesnt it have 2 electron and 2 protons.. resulting in a neutral charge.. that was my logic..
quite a few misconceptions here. first off, an alpha particle is 2+ charged because it contains two _neutrons_ and two protons, no electrons. also, ionizing reactions are when you have a neutron and it collides with another nucleus, and has enough energy to blow a few electrons off of the nucleus. that's what ionization is.

essentially the single wired chamber detects the particle in linear space; once the particle exits the chamber, it stops ionizing, and the chamber's anode stops receiving signals. the layered sheet chamber detects the particle in three dimensional space. as the particle travels through the chamber, the ionization will create signals in three dimensions from the anode.