CBT VS Paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, it seems they are offering both the computer based exam and the paper for the coming august exam.

I don't know which i should take!

Which would you take?

I'm also taking the kaplan course during the summer... is that geared toward teaching you the paper exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend taking the paper test. It's advantageous because most people are used to paper tests rather than the computer. Although the computer test is shorter, there may still be glitches in the system, and I have heard that the scoring curve is not yet well established. Good luck!

Currently the Kaplan course is still pretty paper based - e.g. circling keywords, practice tests on paper.

I tend to think that most people are likely to do better on paper. Personally, I took most of my practice tests on the computer, then did the last one (and the real test) on paper - my score was several points higher that way, and I think it was because it's easier for me to focus when I'm looking down at a piece of paper: the rest of the world is blocked out, I can do my scratch work right next to the question, etc.

I'd suggest doing some practice tests each way and seeing which works for you. I was surprised that paper worked better for me, given that I was a computer programmer at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avicenna04 said:
Alright guys, it seems they are offering both the computer based exam and the paper for the coming august exam.

I don't know which i should take!

Which would you take?

I'm also taking the kaplan course during the summer... is that geared toward teaching you the paper exam?

My Kaplan course was geared toward paper...but ive decided to retake on the CBT this april and im pretty excited about it ;) So i think right now the test scores arent coming back any faster than paper, but there are benefits in my opinion: 1) ive been practicing on the computer and i dont mind it 2) I like the idea of having a little countdown clock on the computer screen because its easier to keep track of time that way than on an analog 3) you get to take the breaks at your own pace (obviously not longer tho) 4) i am assuming that serious time is cut down from the lack of an idiot proctor screwing up the handing out of the test (that actually happened to me) 5) hopefully where this test center is -business district in DC- there wont be a hip hop festival going on next to the mcat (like there was next to the building when I took the paper test at my university) 6) paper is just so old fashioned

ilovehedgehogs said:
My Kaplan course was geared toward paper...but ive decided to retake on the CBT this april and im pretty excited about it ;) So i think right now the test scores arent coming back any faster than paper, but there are benefits in my opinion: 1) ive been practicing on the computer and i dont mind it 2) I like the idea of having a little countdown clock on the computer screen because its easier to keep track of time that way than on an analog 3) you get to take the breaks at your own pace (obviously not longer tho) 4) i am assuming that serious time is cut down from the lack of an idiot proctor screwing up the handing out of the test (that actually happened to me) 5) hopefully where this test center is -business district in DC- there wont be a hip hop festival going on next to the mcat (like there was next to the building when I took the paper test at my university) 6) paper is just so old fashioned

As long as I get scratch paper and pencils, I'm cool with anything.

lorelei said:
I was surprised that paper worked better for me, given that I was a computer programmer at the time.

I would have never guessed that you were a programmer in your previous profession. CBT is what I'm signed up. I've worked with computers for a while (also) so to hear you prefer paper is interesting.

Most of the Adaptive tests (not medically related) I took were on the computer and I thought they were fine. Personally I'm anti-bubble. I despise the ritual of bubbling.

Y_Marker said:
I would have never guessed that you were a programmer in your previous profession. CBT is what I'm signed up. I've worked with computers for a while (also) so to hear you prefer paper is interesting.

Most of the Adaptive tests (not medically related) I took were on the computer and I thought they were fine. Personally I'm anti-bubble. I despise the ritual of bubbling.
Daahh!! I hate bubbles too! I forgot to mention that in my list

lorelei said:
Was that sarcasm? :p

I just pictured you as some hot and clearly very smart person - not the stereotypical computer programmer (no offense to any hot computer girls out there)

Y_Marker said:
I just pictured you as some hot and clearly very smart person - not the stereotypical computer programmer (no offense to any hot computer girls out there)

Ha! Well, in that case, I'm flattered. (I originally wondered if you were teasing me for regularly mentioning my former career, which I do pretty often so that people know that I'm coming from a different place from most premeds on this site and can adjust their reactions to my advice accordingly.)

Back to your regularly-scheduled CBT vs paper commentary.

Hey....

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it may be useful....

Kaplan offers TONS of online material.... even full lengths.... therefore, getting geared up and ready for a computer test should be possible. I also think that because not everyone will actually practice with a computer, it may be reflected in scores, making a better curve for those that actually do well...

So.....If you can really get the computer testing down, it might be a good way to go. You might be benefited if you go in there knowing how to handle the computer.

WannaDoc said:
Hey....

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it may be useful....

Kaplan offers TONS of online material.... even full lengths.... therefore, getting geared up and ready for a computer test should be possible. I also think that because not everyone will actually practice with a computer, it may be reflected in scores, making a better curve for those that actually do well...

So.....If you can really get the computer testing down, it might be a good way to go. You might be benefited if you go in there knowing how to handle the computer.
I was under the impression that the CBT is curved with the paper tests anyway so your theory doesn't work