CC to 4-Year Ratio: Planning Advice

Started by MSag90
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MSag90

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I'm a prospective non-trad student exploring the possibility of a career change into medicine. I graduated in 2014 with a degree in Civil Engineering (cGPA: 3.85 ; sGPA: 3.86), and I have been working as a engineer in the oil and gas world for the past 6 years. However, my current career is just not doing it for me. The idea of med school has been in the back of my mind for a few years now, but until a few months ago, I had not given it serious consideration. Well that's been rapidly changing. After lurking these forums for several months and attempting to formulate a plan of attack, I decided to create an account in hopes of getting some advice. So here goes:

With my CVEN undergrad, I have about 25 hours of pre-reqs I still need (Chem II, Orgo I and II, Bio I and II, and BioChem). Through my engineering degree, I have completed Physics I and II, several calculus courses, Chem I, and Statistics. However, I should note that my Physics I credit is from the AP exam in 2010 and my Physics II credit was completed at a community college in summer school in 2011.

My hopeful path is as follows: Enroll in summer courses at my local community college this summer in order to complete Bio I and II, along with Chem II (completion of these courses at community college actually came as the recommendation of my local university's advising department). Night school is not an option for these courses at my local CC, so this will require me to quit my full time job. My summer would be spent taking those 12 hours along with adding non-clinical volunteering as much as possible (I figure any meaningful clinical experiences will not be available to me for several months given COVID-19). I would then enroll at my local university in the Fall as a non-degree seeking student in order to complete Orgo I and Biochem. Enrollment in the local university would also give me access to their pre-health advising, although it's unclear if I'd be eligible for their committee letters. In the fall, I'd be continuing to add non-clinical volunteering hours with the hope of beginning my clinical volunteering and shadowing by then (my clinical volunteering orientation at the local hospital was already delayed from early March to early June, and I expect this will only get pushed back further). The Spring 2021 semester would then be spent in Orgo II (possibly some humanities-type courses to round out my pre-reqs) and preparing for the MCAT. My target MCAT date would be April 2021. Right now, my main focus is on ensuring I'd be prepared to take the MCAT next Spring, so that I could participate in the 2021-2022 application cycle with a focus in-state at TX schools (preferably Houston-area).

So....my questions:
1.) With my DIY-post bacc approach, would I be better served completing all remaining pre-reqs at a university as opposed to splitting them between community college and university? The university summer course schedule would not allow me to complete all 12 hours there, so I'm leaning toward the community college (also helps that it would be substantially cheaper). However, should I be worried that 12 hours of my science pre-reqs would be coming from CC when my Physics pre-reqs are already coming from AP/CC credit? I would think my track record in Engineering at a 4-year university would help to prove my science competencies, but I want to double-check.
2.) Is the path I have laid out too aggressive in terms of timeline? I am fortunate enough to be able to finance these next two years of schooling/cost-of-living expenses through my savings from the last six years. However, stretching the post-bacc program out another year would put a strain on that.
3.) If the university I attend offers a committee letter, but I am not eligible for it because I did not complete enough credit hours at the university, would that be held against me come application time?

I apologize for the wall of text, but I have been slowly collecting information over the past several weeks, and I figured now was as good a time as any to throw all my questions out there. This forum has been a huge help already for me, so I'm looking forward to getting involved!!
 
1.) With my DIY-post bacc approach, would I be better served completing all remaining pre-reqs at a university as opposed to splitting them between community college and university? The university summer course schedule would not allow me to complete all 12 hours there, so I'm leaning toward the community college (also helps that it would be substantially cheaper). However, should I be worried that 12 hours of my science pre-reqs would be coming from CC when my Physics pre-reqs are already coming from AP/CC credit? I would think my track record in Engineering at a 4-year university would help to prove my science competencies, but I want to double-check.
Generally, this plan sounds fine. I started postbac classes at a CC and switched to a 4 year program and didn't have any problems. However, you need to investigate this a bit more. The AAMC offers a resource called the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) the details the requirements for all US and Canadian medical schools. If you look through it you will see that some schools accept CC credit on a case by case basis, others don't have any conditions. The AP credit may be more of an issue.


2.) Is the path I have laid out too aggressive in terms of timeline? I am fortunate enough to be able to finance these next two years of schooling/cost-of-living expenses through my savings from the last six years. However, stretching the post-bacc program out another year would put a strain on that.
Hard to say. A year of bio and one semester of general chemistry will definitely keep you busy during the summer. I don't recommend taking classes and studying for the MCAT at the same time but people do it.


3.) If the university I attend offers a committee letter, but I am not eligible for it because I did not complete enough credit hours at the university, would that be held against me come application time?
I doubt it. Its perfectly rationale for universities to not offer committee letters for students who attend for two semesters. As long as you have strong letters of recommendation, you should be fine.
 
Hard to say. A year of bio and one semester of general chemistry will definitely keep you busy during the summer. I don't recommend taking classes and studying for the MCAT at the same time but people do it.
Thank you for the input! This particular point is one I was worried about. I've also read that schools prefer to see somewhat full course loads in the semesters leading up to the application cycle in order to prove you can handle the rigors of a med school course load. I thought this was especially true for non-trads, but the idea of a full course load while prepping for the MCAT didn't sound right to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the input! This particular point is one I was worried about. I've also read that schools prefer to see somewhat full course loads in the semesters leading up to the application cycle in order to prove you can handle the rigors of a med school course load. I thought this was especially true for non-trads, but the idea of a full course load while prepping for the MCAT didn't sound right to me.

I think the advice is to take a full course load if you are not working full time. If you are working full time two courses at a time should be sufficient to demonstrate that you can handle things. As far as I know I have never heard of a medical school preference for working or taking classes while prepping for the mcat.
 
One potential change to consider if whether or not AAMC follows suit with USMLE and makes the MCAT a pass/fail test. Unlike medical students who currently have Step II as a metric to fall back on as a compensatory mechanism to distinguish themselves from the pack, there won't be any such alternate means for premeds.

I used to advise people that CC classes were inversely relevant to your MCAT score, ie, the higher your MCAT, the less it mattered where you took your courses. However, if the MCAT becomes a P/F test, where you take your courses will almost certainly be figured into schools' new algorithms for judging applicants.
 
Good point! Hopefully I'll be on schedule for the MCAT in April/May 2021. We can't predict the future, but is it safe to assume that changing to P/F would come with a couple years warning ahead of time? (I'm unfamiliar with how the change to the USMLE was announced).
 
One thing you need to look out for is that many schools rule out community college classes. I don't know if you have targeted specific programs, but MSAR is a good resource for scrolling through requirements. My husband went back to school as a degree-seeking non-trad and got an AA in Chemistry and the transferred to a university for a BS. His science classes were split (Chemistry and Physics at CC; Bio, Orgo, Biochem, A&P at University). He has been accepted to an MD program beginning this fall, but was very frustrated when applying that many schools automatically rule-out CC science classes. So, my advice would be to do your research. There are plenty of schools that won't care, but you will be eliminating some schools from your pool.

He didn't have much free time to study for the MCAT as he was working the entire time he was back in school, so he ended up timing it to sync up with biochemistry. He took it three weeks after his biochem final, because for him, that was the most impactful pre-req on his MCAT. So all of his time spent studying Biochem doubled as MCAT prep time. Something you can do in the meantime without dedicating a ton of time to MCAT prep is just get the ball rolling by listening too Psych/Soc lectures on Khan Academy. His only Psychology class was 20 years old when he took the MCAT, but he used Khan to prep and did well enough! (His score breakdown: 510. CP:125, CARS: 131, BB: 126, PS: 128)

Can't add much about committee letters. But the minute you're in a classroom you should start networking with faculty to at least get a letter, and a best find a lab you can do some research with.

Finally, USMLE announced STEP 1 P/F with no warning, but there are 2 cycles prior to the change. I think it's safe to say MCAT won't change before 2021, or at least you should assume that it won't.

Sounds like you have a good background to make this career change. It will be a lot of work, but if you enjoy what you're learning, it will be well worth it. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the info! I'm in Houston, so staying in Texas is a big priority for me. Through MSAR, it looks like CC credits shouldn't be an issue for the Texas schools. Of course now with COVID I might be looking at a situation where my summer courses are forced to be both CC AND online. I think adcoms will be understanding of all of these limitations, but it's still a little unsettling to think about checking off so many pre-reqs (with lab components) online.