cc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freesolo

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Searched this already, any consensus on a book to read for cc fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was a fellow, I often felt like I wanted to know more general medicine and more primary CCM literature. Textbooks are notoriously behind on current literature, and a lot of what will be discussed on rounds and what will guide your decision-making may be more current than what you'll find in a text. That said, I think a good problem-based CCM textbook is Civetta, Taylor, & Kirby's Critical Care, 4th Edition. It's a full-on reference book, but quite accessible.

Members don't see this ad :)
i actually like Marinos ICU Book for basics and physiology and then Jean-Louis Vincents Textbook of Critical Care as a more authoritative resource, but I tend to be a problem-oriented teacher and learner and like journals and vignettes for much of the bedside learning

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Idiopathic, reading the introduction and discussion of most any journal paper will give you insight and also fodder for further literature searches by looking up and and reading the articles that are referenced. Having said all that , the exam i took 5 years ago has little to do with day to day management of the critically ill. I only got one question of vents, and 5-6 questions on hemodynamics. I literally felt I was taking the wrong exam for the first 30 minutes, thought is was an ID/Medicine exam. (whats the 3rd best choice for a lyme disease patient with neurologic changes)

I agree with Idiopathic, reading the introduction and discussion of most any journal paper will give you insight and also fodder for further literature searches by looking up and and reading the articles that are referenced. Having said all that , the exam i took 5 years ago has little to do with day to day management of the critically ill. I only got one question of vents, and 5-6 questions on hemodynamics. I literally felt I was taking the wrong exam for the first 30 minutes, thought is was an ID/Medicine exam. (whats the 3rd best choice for a lyme disease patient with neurologic changes)
Sounds like you and I took the same test!

One more vote for Marino here, both because he covers a lot of useful stuff and because his iconoclastic tendencies make it a lot more interesting to read than the average medical book.

The orange SCCM book will get you past the boards but it lacks depth. If you are a fellow and want to learn CCM at the level you should be learning it, the text by Vincent is highly recommended

The orange SCCM book will get you past the boards but it lacks depth. If you are a fellow and want to learn CCM at the level you should be learning it, the text by Vincent is highly recommended
Glad you think the orange sccm book is good enough for boards. Thats what im working with for now. Aug 9 icu boards october orals