CCNY (City College of New York) Pre-Med Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know anything about the undergraduate pre-med program at CCNY? I'm considering going there, and while I'm familiar with the mantra that "it doesn't matter where you do undergrad," I'm still a bit concerned about the reputation of their program, and was looking for some info about CCNY pre-med from people who know more about it or possibly graduated from there. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

while i dont know ccny premed, my boyfriend is a chem/physics double major there. he loves it there. are you in the honors college? if not, go talk to the honors office and see if you can get into CCNY honors; its like the honors college minus the free laptop or whatever.

thanks.

anyone else have any info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finishing up my post-bacc at CCNY right now. I had no trouble with Bio or Chem, Physics was manageable and Orgo was the only really difficult class (but that probably is true anywhere). So you should be able to pull a decent average if you just study your butt off for Orgo.

Pre-med office staff is very good (my advisor already wrote my committee letter and sent it out). The only problem is that most of the professors are international/not native English speakers, so lectures can be a little tricky depending on who you get.

I'm finishing up my post-bacc at CCNY right now. I had no trouble with Bio or Chem, Physics was manageable and Orgo was the only really difficult class (but that probably is true anywhere). So you should be able to pull a decent average if you just study your butt off for Orgo.

Pre-med office staff is very good (my advisor already wrote my committee letter and sent it out). The only problem is that most of the professors are international/not native English speakers, so lectures can be a little tricky depending on who you get.

do grads from ccny undergrad get into top 10 schools?

They don't really tell us who gets in where. Acceptance rate is about 40% for those who complete the program, although I'm sure some students get into top 10 schools. The student population is also very URM-heavy.

They don't really tell us who gets in where. Acceptance rate is about 40% for those who complete the program, although I'm sure some students get into top 10 schools. The student population is also very URM-heavy.

interesting. for the post-bacc program, the website says that 70 some percent get accepted. do you feel like you're able to take advantage of being in NYC or the program is too rigorous to allow for free time to enjoy the city?

Well, 40% is what they told us were the rates for last year. I'm only a part-time student (I work 40 hours a week and go to school at night) and I've managed to get mostly A's so far (B+ in Orgo I) without killing myself. I'd say you would have plenty of time to enjoy the city if you've historically been a good student.

Well, 40% is what they told us were the rates for last year. I'm only a part-time student (I work 40 hours a week and go to school at night) and I've managed to get mostly A's so far (B+ in Orgo I) without killing myself. I'd say you would have plenty of time to enjoy the city if you've historically been a good student.

how is the research on campus?do you work there?

how is the research on campus?do you work there?

I'm a premed there, about to enter junior year..and ccny is pretty research heavy, I started my freshmen year..If you are a good student, and approach the PI's in a friendly manner, I'm sure you can find a good lab to work in after you took basic courses (chem labs generally want you to finish orgo, bio labs generally want you to have about 4 semesters of bio..again, this is generally, I happened to be the exception because my lab was looking for members).

CCNY is an excellent school if you want to do premed. Most east coast schools are completly aware of how rigorous the science department is at city, so if your worry is about reputation, have no worries. You have to work your butt of though because no one is going to be nice with you and you work for everything you get in your classes. No one will force you to work or go to class or anything so what you put in is really what you come out with at ccny.

Otherwise same goes for the premed office. no one is really going to tell you what to do. But if you are serious and get all your stuff done by the time you apply, they will make sure you make it into wherever you want to go. There are some really excellent professors at city, and I will be working in a lab with a professor who got her masters from columbia and phD from Harvard on an NIH grant she just recieved so Id say CCNY is pretty big on lab research and unlike other schools is very accessible to students who show motivation and devotion to the work.

For the price of CCNY it really is a catch, but just be warned that you have to be serious about your work if you want to do well after and get into a good med school.

Last year out of 18 post bacs, 16 got into med school including yale, columbia, boston and some others.

Undergrads dont do as well but thats only because some students who apply have low MCATS and gpas and are determined to apply anyway. Students with high gpas are as competent im sure as any other big name school. My friend just got into Boston University med and another into columbia, and a friend of mine got interviewed at UPenn.

So CCNY aint all that bad. But like I said you have to be serious becasue no one is going to tell you what to do.