CCOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treybird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear from anyone in the CCOM class of 2006...name, current school,
etc. I just got accepted and would like to talk to others in my class.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to CCOM Trey, I will be there this fall for the class of 2006. From Miami University in Ohio and was accepted I believe back in Nov. Hope to see you there in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I was accepted about a month ago and will be attending CCOM this Fall. I currently live in Chicago and work in a research lab at the University of Chicago. I am a May 2001 graduate of Benedicitine University Lisle, IL. Am looking forward to the start of school. It can't seem to get here fast enough. Well, just want to welcome and say hello to all my future classmates. Good Luck and see you in a couple of months

Hey everyone. My name is Ed and I'm currently a first year grad student at Univ. of Illinois U-C. I look forward to joining CCOM's class of 2006 and meeting all of you. Has anyone here decided on housing yet?

Hey everyone. My name is Ed and I'm currently a first year grad student at Univ. of Illinois U-C. I look forward to joining CCOM's class of 2006 and meeting all of you. Has anyone here decided on housing yet?

Ed- My best friend and I have been accepted at CCOM and we very close to making a decision. Anyways, we are both from Parkland too. What a small world.

Have you guys gotten in anywhere else? I'm still waiting to hear from KCOM and Indiana U.
I'll be living off campus with my girlfriend/fiance/future wife/whatever and two Pomeranians.
The Chicago area is soooo expensive. For what I pay now ($700) it'll cost us about $1200 - $1300. KCOM is definately a cheaper area. Does CCOM have a good rep out in the field?

Trey

Hey Everyone, my wife and I are both starting at CCOM in the fall. Can't wait for it to get here. Right now I'm trying to motivate myself to study for my Masters defense. Two days of written exams and one day of orals! After getting our acceptances back in January I lost all motivation to finish grad school. Anyone else go through this?? Oh yea, I'm at Ohio State.

Motivation is completely lost for school. When I got my first acceptance back in October, I just didnt see any reason to keep trying. What was funny is for the Ohio University acceptance they don't even require you to graduate. All you have to do is to complete the requirements, which I had by my Junior year. Oh well.

I am interested to see where people will be living. I want to find some people to live in the same area so the commute in will not be so expensive. I was up apartment hunting with my fiance and there is not much to be had in the Downers Grove, Oak Brook, Lombard area. The best apartments were in Naperville, and that is at least a 15 min drive with traffic.

Hey 10! This definitley is a small world :) What other schools are you interested in at the moment?

Treybird, I interviewed at KCOM on March 4th and haven't heard from them either. They told us it would take about 4-6 weeks b/c of spring break.

Grkbuckeye and MiamiDoc, I also feel the lack of motivation to finish grad school after being accepted recently. I just took an exam today which I don't think I did well on. Oh well. I can't wait for summer to arrive.

Hey Miami, there are many places around the school. Go to this website and order a rental guide.. <a href="http://www.relconapartments.com." target="_blank">www.relconapartments.com.</a> I was also told of some places by current students that arent mentioned in the rental guide. i called a lot of these places and they all said that if you want to move in in august, then you can't start looking until june. i guess they dont know whats gonna be available till then. hope this helps.

Hey, everyone. My name is Tim, I'm a research assistant at Loyola University Medical Center, and I'm from Lisle.

As for housing, I still haven't decided yet. I mentioned on a previous string that I wasn't going to stay in my current apartment, so if you're looking for a one bedroom that's about 10 minutes away from schoo, let me know ([email protected]), its supposed to be $660 a month and includes heat and water. If anyone is interested in getting an apartment as a group let me know (I've got leads on a bunch of close/cheap places).

If you ask the students you get mixed responses about where to live. I've asked a lot of the one's that I've worked with in the NPTA sessions (I'm one of the NPTA's -- non-physician teaching assistant). They've told me that about 50% of the first years live on campus. They've said that the bonus is that you're close to everything and someone takes care of the cooking. However, the downside is that you're on campus all day. Some of them (especially ones that had been living on their own for a couple of years) said it was tough to get back to communal living.

One last thing, is anybody interested in getting together before orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by grkbuckeye:
•Hey Everyone, my wife and I are both starting at CCOM in the fall. Can't wait for it to get here. Right now I'm trying to motivate myself to study for my Masters defense. Two days of written exams and one day of orals! After getting our acceptances back in January I lost all motivation to finish grad school. Anyone else go through this?? Oh yea, I'm at Ohio State.•••••Grkbuckeye, I totally understand how you are feeling right now. I have a biochemistry exam and a genetics quiz next monday, and I just can't seem to motivate myself to crack open the book until the day before the exam! But hey, summer break is just around the corner so you'll have plenty of time to relax until late August! :clap:

As for housing, I'm most likely going to choose on-campus housing(LLC or the apartments) because I would like to meet more people and I think it's convenient to live near all the facilities. If you wanna learn more about on-campus housing, etc.. check out this link:

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000841&p=" target="_blank">Who's going to CCOM?</a>

Hope this helps,

Wasabi

Congrats to all of you going to CCOM in the Fall.

hey Tplacke, i think i interviewed with you back in January. did you interview then (i think it was Jan 16th)? anyway, do the apartments you live in have washer and dryer hook-ups? i have to find somewhere that has them since i have my own. i should sell the damn things! lugging them around is a pain in the ass!

Anyone else STILL waiting to hear from KCOM? I interviewed on Feb 22 and they told me I would hear within 30 days. Ummmm, I think that was about 35 days ago! HELLLOOOO, do they realize that it's only our lives here?

I like CCOM and KCOM equally, but all things considered, I can rent a 10 acre farm in Kirksville for the same price as a studio flat in Downer's Grove. Did anyone else notice the houses with wings (i.e. east wing and west wing) and moats in Downer's Grove? Damn. Maybe I could rent out one of their servants quarters. It would still be larger than my current apt. I also noticed that there wasn't really too much to do in the area around school (Westfield, DG, etc.). It was pretty lame for entertainment, although I did win $10 on a a scratch-off lottery ticket. That was entertaining.

Treybird

Hey, I'm joining CCOM class of 2006. I got accepted in February, I still am waiting to interview at AZCOM in 2 weeks before I make the final decision, but I'm pretty sure CCOM is for me. Anyone have any thoughts about the differences in the two schools?

conmantlc,

Which one do you prefer: sunshine (and scorpions) or snow? All things being equal, take into account the standards of living. Chicago's a very expensive area and if you can get the same education and let your money go farther per buck then pick that school.

TB

Just wondering when everyone is moving to the area. I talked to the Apartment people and they say that they charge the highest rates for moving in July and August.

I hate spending more money than I have.

Miamidoc, are you saying that our monthly rent will be more for the entire year if you move in in July/August, or do they charge a move in fee that will be more expensive then usual? Some of the people i spoke to said that they will be running specials then. I wonder if this is true? I plan on moving in the beginning of August.

I'm interested in either LLC or on campus apartment. Does anyone have any opinions on either one? Also, what's the agenda for the summer after the first year. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone heard about their housing assignments? My info said they would be mailed out in mid march. I still haven't heard. I had one of the apartments as my first choice but I'm sure as MS-I they are hard to come by. Has anyone seen the LLC or other dorms? Are they like undergrad all over again? Being close to campus is nice but I hate to go through dorm life all over again. Does anyone have any ideas for nearby apartments? Are there any online sites that have apartments in the area? Rent.com is pretty worthless. Are any of you guys doing the Mrs. T's Triathlon on the 25th of August in Chicago? I'd like to start matching up with training partners for this race or the Chicago 1/2 marathon (9/9) if anyone is interested.

Hey grkbuckeye,

When I was apartment hunting they told me that the rent for the whole year would be more if you moved in the summer. They said that this is the time when they can usually fill in the apartments due to people moving in the summer, so that prices for the WHOLE year generally rise. When I was there in February they were much cheaper, due to less demand.

Hey all, just curious to see if anyone is in the process of filling out or has completed the CCOM's financial aid online application.. I completed my FAFSA a few weeks ago, and I just received a letter from CCOM which requested me to complete Step 2 of the financial aid application. Am I pretty late in the process or is everyone in the same boat so far?

Hey conmantlc. I wish I were signed up for the Mr.T Tri but it's all full. If you know any way to get me in at this late date please let me know. Glad to see a fellow multisporter in the class.

If i can get into the mr t I will train with you in August after I move in. But the 1/2 marathon is another story. I don't really like running. In fact, in triathlons I only run because they make me get off my bike some distance before I get to the finish line :)

Housing contracts for the fall are being sent out. I just got mine yesterday.

Well I got my housing contract yesterday and I am in one of the Traditional Halls (not my 1st choice). I was looking at the price of these things. For the room it costs almost 1600 for the quarter, roughly 550 a month and then you tack food on there and "rent" is around 800-850/month. Does this seem outrageous to anyone? I am not sure if I am going to succumb to the dorm life again after being an apartment dweller for two years. Not sure if I can handle that again. Are there any entering or current students who have insight into what living in Traditional Hall A is like? Would appreciate some feedback since the contracts are due by 4/19. Thanks

I currently live in the traditional dorms. I had never lived in a dorm before, so it took some adjusting. I suppose it all depends on your individual preferences, and also on the other person you end up having to share your bathroom.

People do not have parties and make a lot of noise here compared to even some of the apartments I have lived in before. Students here seem pretty professional about studying.

The living space in the dorms is actually a bit larger than the LLC, because these rooms were originally designed for two students. The rooms are furnished. So there are two desks, two sets of drawers, two medicine cabinets with mirrors, two closets and one twin bed. The twin bed is small, but some students have put in a full bed on the twin frame. You should probably bring in a desk lamp and table lamp.

I don't like the amount of noise I can hear from the bathroom. I'm a light sleeper, and wake up when the toilet flushes. My roommate doesn't seem to be as annoyed with the noise as I am.

Being on campus has a lot of benefits. It's great being within walking distance of everything, especially classes when we have 7:30 a.m. exams. I do not have to worry about a parking space. During your 1st two quarters, when you have gross anatomy, it will help that you can go into lab after hours and be so close to your shower.

You have a heater, but no air conditioning (LLC has air conditioning). You won't need air conditioning except maybe at the end of August/beginning of September. I bought a fan, but barely used it.

It's actually better than I expected at the beginning of the year.

Thanks Dagny for taking the time to share your experience for living in the traditional dorms. The advantages you listed for living on campus were exactly what I thought about.

When I was living in Milwaukee there were lots of MCW med students and Marquette dental students living in a government subsidized housing complex. Their rent was based on a percentage of their income. Since they had no income they paid something like $25 a month. Anyone know if this type thing is available in Chicago?

Thanks Dagny for the insight. I will be living in the Tradtional Hall next year. Do I have any fellow "dorm-mates" out there?

One more negative I should add: the long distance phone service is occasionally out, especially after hours. Hopefully it will be better for us next year

Hey all,

So glad to see the CCOM thread still going! Just wanted to say hello to all the fellow future classmates. Can't wait!

Hope everyone is doing well. Only 3 more weeks before the end of April. I recieved a mousepad from CCOM today. Pretty neat. DocJ, were traditional dorms your first choice?

Does anyone who is living off campus know where they are staying yet? I'm guessing June is a good time to find a place?

Hey all, I'll be living in the LLC dorms next year. Anyone else planning to live there too? Well, I wish everyone luck on their finals and hope to see everyone this fall! :)

I'll be in the LLC with you

Hey Gator,
It actually wasn't my first choice but I was accepted toward the end of Feb. and didn't get the housing request form until late so I was probably low on the pick list. But whatever I lived in a dorm in undergrad for three years and it wasn't so bad. Besides this is a totally different atmosphere academically so it shouldn't be bad at all. I look forward to meeting everyone next year.

Hey everyone. Does anyone have an idea as to when we find out how much financial aid we receive? I think that the loan money goes to Midwestern, and then they give us the living expense money. When is that, though? Thanks for the help.

I was told that it wont be until mid summer. the financial aid office said they process the other schools first (pharmacy, physical therapy, etc..) because they start sooner. as long as you didnt specify a different amount, you should ge the full 38,500 they told me. hope this helps.

When does CCOM start classes?

Hey Treybird,

Classes start on Sept. 3rd. Have you guys gotten all your shots and titers yet? I still need to complete some. Later. :)

Hey guys,
did you have to get revaccinated for anyting? i was told that the original vaccines and boosters you got are fine and your titers should be fine? is this true? did you have to get a new series of shots? also, i was told that you can no longer get a tetanus vaccine. you can only get it if you are injured and have reason to get it. a nurse told me this was new policy all over the U.S.

Hey Buckeye,
If I understand your question correctly you shouldn't have to be revaccinated for anything unless your titer comes up negative. Then of course you don't possess the antibodies and would have to be vaccinated to produce them. That is odd with the whole tetanus thing. I would think that under the circumstances, going to medical school and it being a requirement you would be able to get the shot. Also, I think that it is recommended that you get one every ten years or so. Not sure though? I have had all my titers done and they all came back negative. Good thing because they should have. Well I don't know about everyone else but I am looking forward to starting. I am so unfocused at work. It is so hard to get involved with the research for my job when I know I will be leaving to go to school. I guess you could say I have the opposite of senioritis. I can't wait to go back to school so I can be done with my job. Well take care.

Hello everyone!! I have a question concerning lenders for Stafford loans at CCOM. Do we only have two options--Bank One or Midwestern? I sent financial aid an email about possible lender options(T.H.E., Access group, etc. ) and they only mentioned that I should sign the Master prom note with either Bank One or Midwestern ( mind you 3% and 1.5% fees respectively) Am I being baited? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

kb498
CCOM 2006

Oh man, I'm dealing with a very serious case of senioritis right now! My last final's tomorrow, my heart rate's continuing to rise at an exponential rate, and yet I can't seem to motivate myself enough to leave my computer and study those last few chapters for Genetics.. Will I make it? Oh dear... I really hope I'll see everyone for CCOM's Class of 2006.. :(

Keeping fingers tightly crossed,

Wasabi

KB498,

You can use any bank you want. It is recommended that if you currently hold student loans with a bank, you should contiue to use the same bank. This will make things a whole lost easier when you finish. All of my loans are with a bank in New York.

Bill M4
CCOM

Hey, anyone starting this fall that hasn't filled out the immunity forms yet? And if so is there anyway I could get a copy? I am so frustrated. I had the titers drawn and when the results were in dropped off the forms with my Drs. secretary to be filled out. Went over yesterday to get the results and the forms and only got the results. Secretary swears she put them in the Drs. or Nurse's box. Neither the Dr. nor the nurse received them. And then they made it like it was my fault. I should have given them directly to the Dr. or Nurse. So, "Sorry, is there any way to get another copy?" Ugh :mad: Anyway I have called student services and they are supposed to be faxing me a copy. Hopefully I can get all this submitted by May 10. Hope no one else runs into these probs. Later.