CCOM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow!! I have never been so happy to have my finals over. Now, I just get to relax for a few months and then start the madness of medical school. I would probably be more excited if wasn't running on fumes, but I think I'll manage. Hope every one is well! ;) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Yep...just finished finals yesterday! never been so happier.....

for the current CCOM students, would you please be able to answer a few questions.....they're pretty stupid questions though...

1)Are our white coats personalized (embroidered) or are they just general with name tags? Long, short? Just curious...cuz there has been some previous discussion on white coats and never really understood the importance of it.

2)How do we gain clinical experience during our 1st 2 years when all we do is go to lectures and labaratories.

Thanks

1. You will be fitted for a white coat during orientation. All medical students wear short white coats, that come down to your waist. In the hospitals it sort of identifies you as a student, and it is a rite of passage to obtain your long coat when you graduate. This is true for just about all schools. As far as the coat itself, when you receive it you will only have a nametag and some patches on the shoulder, but usually some clubs run a fundraiser during the year where they collect everyone's white coats and get the names embroidered on. In my opinion the embroidery looks much better and only cost $7. The coat itself is free (well, part of tuition).

2. As far as clinical experience, there are several options. First of all, one of the major classes you take (especially second year) is called Intro to Clinical Medicine/Practice of Medicine. You spend a lot of time learning and practicing techniques on each other, as well as on patient-actors who come in and are simulated patients. There is also a new program called the Early Clinical Contact Program, in which you can shadow any docs among a sizable list of preceptors. Most specialties are available, and you can do these on your own time whenever you want. Finally the school has a student-run clinic on the West side of the city, where students and attendings go down (I think once a week) and work for an evening. This is another option if you are interested. Basically, there are plenty of options available if you have the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Claymore said:
1. You will be fitted for a white coat during orientation. All medical students wear short white coats, that come down to your waist. In the hospitals it sort of identifies you as a student, and it is a rite of passage to obtain your long coat when you graduate. This is true for just about all schools. As far as the coat itself, when you receive it you will only have a nametag and some patches on the shoulder, but usually some clubs run a fundraiser during the year where they collect everyone's white coats and get the names embroidered on. In my opinion the embroidery looks much better and only cost $7. The coat itself is free (well, part of tuition).

2. As far as clinical experience, there are several options. First of all, one of the major classes you take (especially second year) is called Intro to Clinical Medicine/Practice of Medicine. You spend a lot of time learning and practicing techniques on each other, as well as on patient-actors who come in and are simulated patients. There is also a new program called the Early Clinical Contact Program, in which you can shadow any docs among a sizable list of preceptors. Most specialties are available, and you can do these on your own time whenever you want. Finally the school has a student-run clinic on the West side of the city, where students and attendings go down (I think once a week) and work for an evening. This is another option if you are interested. Basically, there are plenty of options available if you have the time.

Thanks for the info.....also, who would I contact if I wanted to start another club at CCOM? I'm thinking about starting a club called Medical Students for Life Support Education (MSLSE) something for med students who want to help their community out by offering free basic life support training and certification. I've already talked to AHA about it and they said that there are many AHA locations which would be willing to help us out (education, resources, etc.). Thanks again.

Does this mean CCOM doesn't have a white coat ceremony? :confused:

SL0926 said:
Does this mean CCOM doesn't have a white coat ceremony? :confused:

CCOM has a white coat ceremony during the first week of Oct. It's usually 3 weeks after classes start.

summer is here!!! BBQ season...BUMP!!!

Amen, brother. Let the loafing begin.

summer is not here for 1 more week Tovah!!! grrrrrrrrrrr
:smuggrin:

Congrats to all new CCOMers. You will love the experience. I am an MSIII(in a couple days) and need to get rid of some furniture. I have a futon (>$325 new at IKEA), matching chair w/footrest (>$100 new at IKEA), a china cabinet (>$100 new at IKEA), a desk chair, an old computer desk, bookshelves (>$100 new at Pier1), oriental rug(>$150 new). I am asking $350 for everything or can price them individually. Email me at [email protected] if interested or have questions. Again, congrats to all. Enjoy your summer.

Hi BMW-

I'm just wondering, are you moving into the city to start your clinicals? Is this the trend among midwestern students to move from the western suburbs into the city to start their clinical training. Thanks for any info on this.

Alot of people live near campus the first 2 years. Many people are moving to the city for MS III/IV years. I live in Oak Park. It is about 25 min from campus, 15 min from downtown, and a relatively central location for rotations. Good luck.

bump!!!! Any new class of 2008 peeps out there???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Summer is here for the most of us and I think it'd be a good time to organize an event for the students who are in Chicago already or will be here in the summer. It'd be great for all of us future CCOM students to meet each other and just kind of break the ice before school starts! A BBQ sounds like a good idea!! any other suggestions? and lets start organizing this thing!!

Hi everyone

I have been telling a friend of mine about CCOM and he's very interested in speaking to someone at the school about the program, his file, and how competetive he would be before he goes through the application process. I was wondering if any of you current students could tell me who would be a good admissions person to contact. I think he would really appreciate speaking to someone honest and realistic.

Thanks! :D

SL0926 said:
Hi everyone

I have been telling a friend of mine about CCOM and he's very interested in speaking to someone at the school about the program, his file, and how competetive he would be before he goes through the application process. I was wondering if any of you current students could tell me who would be a good admissions person to contact. I think he would really appreciate speaking to someone honest and realistic.

Thanks! :D

Honestly, the admissions office won't really tell him how competitive he will be, they will just tell him to apply and find out. Why don't you ask one of us, since we have all been through the process and have a general idea of how competitive a student will be based on numbers and life experiences.....we're all honest and realistic!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I interviewed on the last interview day, and was waitlisted. I recieved a call today, and I'm going to join all of you in the fall!!!!!!!!! I am so excited to meet you. See you then. Ps. Do y'all know if there is any housing left on campus?

Well, I had hoped to be relocating to Chicago early to partake in some BBQ's and such, but thanks to the military, I now have to take 14 hours this summer to complete my degree so that I can be be released from the Infantry and placed in a medical student program. So much for enjoying my last real summer. By the way, does anyone need a roommate? I wouldn't mind being on campus, but I would rather just live somewhere close. The cheaper the rent the better. :thumbup:

Hello, I am new to the message board. I recently was accepted to CCOM, and I want to meet pple that will be attending CCOM!!! I also was wondering if anyone knows about any off campus housing. CONGRATS to all the other students going to CCOM!
Thanks!

Hey Outrageous,

Check out my post on page 8. There is a file that has local off campus apartments... See you all soon..

-Aaron, now MSII

congrats to all---in the meantime check out www.ccomforum.tk ---for those in the housing search or debating about on campus versus off campus drop by and share your thoughts as well as read what has already been posted. once again, good luck to everyone and i hope you have a relaxing summer break.

www.ccomforum.tk

kevin
ms-2/3

Hey Outrageous.. When did you interview? Did you get accepted off the wait list? Does anybody know if there is still on-campus housing available? Where are all of you from? I am from Denver, CO and went to Gonzaga University for undergrad. Just graduated.

Did anyone receive a financial award letter. i sent in my fafsa, and I got a confirmation, but I am kind of uneasy about the whole thing.

does anyone know anything about health insurance through ccom?

scubadiva said:
Did anyone receive a financial award letter. i sent in my fafsa, and I got a confirmation, but I am kind of uneasy about the whole thing.

does anyone know anything about health <A TITLE="Click for more information about insurance" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||insurance|AA1VDw">insurance</A> through ccom?

The insurance you can get thru CCOM is PPO, Chickering. It's around $1500/yr (I think it might be more though, not positive). I was surprised that when I went for a routine checkup that there was still a $200 deductible, so I had to pay for the visit myself. I still don't understand what the $10 co-pay is for then. How can there be a co-pay and a deductible at the same time? :confused:

You can also get dental insurance thru the school, but you have to pick one of the dentists in the booklet. It's around $150/year.

Thanks NuGirl :) Do you know how early we can apply for the medical insurance? My coverage ends at the end of June. :scared:

scubadiva said:
Thanks NuGirl :) Do you know how early we can apply for the medical insurance? My coverage ends at the end of June. :scared:

I'm not sure when you can apply. We were able to sign up during orientation. It might be helpful for you to look on the insurance's website, and see if you can apply for it earlier (you most likely could). I don't know the exact website, but the insurance is through Chickering, AETNA.

scubadiva said:

I just talked with the financial aid office last week. They told me to start checking MWU e-mail in July for the financial aid award letter. They also advised me to apply for private loans in the meantime so the award letter will also include that information.

I think it will make you feel better that you call and make sure everything is in order (they received your FAFSA, MWU financial aid application, etc.).

Lari

Hi everyone! Hope you all are ready to enjoy your last summer before med school! :scared:

I have a couple questions actually for current CCOM students. I'm in the process of packing up stuff and moving out of my apartment and will be living with my parents in the meantime (lease is up). So, I have to decide what to pack away and what to bring to CCOM. This is what I know of the trad halls:

224 square feet, bathroom shared by two people (I hope/assume I'm in a single occupancy room)
2 desks/closets/dressers
bunk beds (does that mean a stacked one meant for two people?)

What I would like to know - do we have anything else in there? Lamps? Bookshelves?

More importantly, I was wondering if it was possible for someone that lives in the traditional halls could kindly take pictures of his/her room so I can get an idea what to expect? I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, did anyone of you bring books with you from undergrad years? I have several books such as o-chem, biochem, micro, etc. Did you find that you used any as reference books? I know the obvious ones to leave behind like calculus (barf!).

Thank you,
Lari

oh yea...and if someone wouldn't mind taking a picture of a LLC dorm...i just want to get a better idea of how it looks on the inside. thanks!!

I am not a student yet but I have a couple of friends in various programs at Midwestern University, one lives in the dorms which I have seen. To answer some of your questions, you do have a roommate but you only share a bathroom. Your room is a single with one bed and one desk and dresser. From what my friend has told me, he never sees his roommate. Thats what I can answer. A current student would probably be better to answer all your questions.

Hey Lari,

I have pictures of my room. I lived in A109. Send me your email vie a private message and I will send them to you...

-Aaron Reitman

Thanks a lot Aaron! I pmed you.

Lari

Areitman said:
Hey Lari,

I have pictures of my room. I lived in A109. Send me your email vie a private message and I will send them to you...

-Aaron Reitman

:eek: You mean you were/are living somwehere very close to what is going to be my room this coming school year!

:wow:

Hello everyone,
I am one of your fellow classmates and I'm trying to find an apartment that is close to campus. Just want to find a place for my happy ass to land.
Hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Billy

Hey Billy if you need to find a place you can look at one of my previous posts. I made a document with apartments that are close to campus that were recommended by MSIs. Check out City View, they are having some good deals for CCOM students.

-Aaron
Now MSII

By any chance, does anyone know the rotation sites for CCOM students. Can students do rotations out of town? I was just wondering...thanks.
:oops:

Hi all,

I will be coming there this fall and would love to be able to talk to any students currently there. Anyone willing to talk?

I have questions about getting into specialites, particularly anesthesia. Also have questions for anyone with info/experiences with the NHS scholarships. Also, how do you study for two sets of boards if you want to consider allopathic residencies too? Is there so much overlap that the studying differences are negligible?

Also, what are The City View apts. like? Or would you recommend buying in the area to earn some sort of profit?

If you want to answer, please post here or PM me.

Thanks tons in advance, I appreciate any help.

Paul

Lari29 said:
Hi everyone! Hope you all are ready to enjoy your last summer before med school! :scared:

I have a couple questions actually for current CCOM students. I'm in the process of packing up stuff and moving out of my apartment and will be living with my parents in the meantime (lease is up). So, I have to decide what to pack away and what to bring to CCOM. This is what I know of the trad halls:

224 square feet, bathroom shared by two people (I hope/assume I'm in a single occupancy room)
2 desks/closets/dressers
bunk beds (does that mean a stacked one meant for two people?)

What I would like to know - do we have anything else in there? Lamps? Bookshelves?

More importantly, I was wondering if it was possible for someone that lives in the traditional halls could kindly take pictures of his/her room so I can get an idea what to expect? I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, did anyone of you bring books with you from undergrad years? I have several books such as o-chem, biochem, micro, etc. Did you find that you used any as reference books? I know the obvious ones to leave behind like calculus (barf!).

Thank you,
Lari

The traditional rooms have lots of space. And you won't have a bunk bed. I did when I first moved, in but then I got it removed right away. There are no lamps. There's only an overhead light. The room is pretty dark especially since the walls are cream and the carpet is dark green or blue. If you have a lamp, I suggest you bring it, if you can. But if you're not planning on studying in your room, don't bother. There's sufficient light. There are bookshelves, and there are some on both sides of the room.

Whatever you do, DO NOT bring any of your books from college. The notes at CCOM are SOOOO detailed, organized, and clear, that you'll never need to use a reference. I brought all my books (big mistake), and I never opened them once.

I know that you didn't ask this, but don't bother buying most of the suggested books that they tell you to buy. You'll never open them once. (and I usually love to study from texts)

I promise you that the only books that will be of use to you the first quarter are:

Netter's (have to buy)
A colored atlas ------> extremely useful, especially if you're the type of person who doesn't like to go to lab outside of anatomy lab (Um....like me :eek: ). I used Rohen's and loved it.
Histology Atlas (have to buy) (you don't need the text too, but I bought it, and used it)
Mosby's guide to the physical examination (you will use this)
Lipponcott's Biochem (up to you b/c essentially you will never use it during the actual class, but will prob be used for boards)

Wow! Housing called me today - I got into the apartments off the wait list. I'm very surprised that I got in at all! Nice to know early too so that I can pack accordingly. I should be receiving the new contract in a few days. :thumbup:

NUgirl said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT bring any of your books from college. The notes at CCOM are SOOOO detailed, organized, and clear, that you'll never need to use a reference. I brought all my books (big mistake), and I never opened them once.

I know that you didn't ask this, but don't bother buying most of the suggested books that they tell you to buy. You'll never open them once. (and I usually love to study from texts)

I promise you that the only books that will be of use to you the first quarter are:

Netter's (have to buy)
A colored atlas ------> extremely useful, especially if you're the type of person who doesn't like to go to lab outside of anatomy lab (Um....like me :eek: ). I used Rohen's and loved it.
Histology Atlas (have to buy) (you don't need the text too, but I bought it, and used it)
Lipponcott's Biochem (up to you b/c essentially you will never use it during the actual class, but will prob be used for boards)

Wow! Thanks a lot! That list of books is extremely helpful. It's good to know that I don't have to drag a bunch of old books with me across country. And thanks for your input on the trad halls - I'm no longer will be living there, but I'm sure you've been very helpful for others here. :)

Lari

NUgirl said:
The traditional rooms have lots of space. And you won't have a bunk bed. I did when I first moved, in but then I got it removed right away. There are no lamps. There's only an overhead light. The room is pretty dark especially since the walls are cream and the carpet is dark green or blue. If you have a lamp, I suggest you bring it, if you can. But if you're not planning on studying in your room, don't bother. There's sufficient light. There are bookshelves, and there are some on both sides of the room.

Netter's (have to buy)

Thanks for the info....I will definetly take this into consideration. I wasn't going to bring any of my old books...but I was thinking about buying all the textbooks they suggested for class...i guess that's not a good idea as well. Regarding the notes, so is basically ok to get through all these classes just with the notes? or are these notes missing something...that you would have to get the extra info by actually attending lecture?

Eyecon82 said:
Thanks for the info....I will definetly take this into consideration. I wasn't going to bring any of my old books...but I was thinking about buying all the textbooks they suggested for class...i guess that's not a good idea as well. Regarding the notes, so is basically ok to get through all these classes just with the notes? or are these notes missing something...that you would have to get the extra info by actually attending lecture?

Buying the suggested books is up to you, but since every class is run at such a fast pace, and the notes are really detailed and thorough (they're not missing anything!), you won't have the time or a need to use extra books. Before coming here, I was a book learner, and didn't rely so much on notes, but CCOM's notes are like a text and have all the diagrams, pictures, graphs already in them. You can even skip class (I suggest you go to class in the beginning and see if you need to go in the future) and just rely on notes b/c tests just cover what's in the notes, and the profs explain what's in the notes in class. They don't usually add anything extra. By third quarter my friends and I were skipping every class except for clinical medicine and neuro. You'll learn which classes to skip (b/c of time constraints) very quickily. ;)

NUgirl said:
Buying the suggested books is up to you, but since every class is run at such a fast pace, and the notes are really detailed and thorough (they're not missing anything!), you won't have the time or a need to use extra books. Before coming here, I was a book learner, and didn't rely so much on notes, but CCOM's notes are like a text and have all the diagrams, pictures, graphs already in them. You can even skip class (I suggest you go to class in the beginning and see if you need to go in the future) and just rely on notes b/c tests just cover what's in the notes, and the profs explain what's in the notes in class. They don't usually add anything extra. By third quarter my friends and I were skipping every class except for clinical medicine and neuro. You'll learn which classes to skip (b/c of time constraints) very quickily. ;)

Thanks for the info...it's a great relief to hear that CCOM notes are clear and precise including diagrams, graphs, etc..

Hi people. I'm going to be joining the class of 2008 in the fall. I'm currently living in Richmond, VA so I'm not too excited about the winters. A couple of questions for current students:

1. Anyone married? What's it been like? I've been married since December and a little freaked out about how to balance my marriage and schooling. I remember how much I had to study in P.T. school, and to be honest, I don't know how to properly prepare my wife for what it's going to be like. One of the students who was on my interview panel mentioned that there were several students in her class who were married w/ kids (we don't have kids yet.)

2. Do you recommend studying at all over the summer? Would reviewing O-chem help with Biochem at all?

3. What are the campus apartments like? That is where my wife and I will be residing, simply because we didn't feel like looking elsewhere. The price seems good but they seem awful small. Anyone got pictures or a general description of the floor plan??? That would help as we are going to have to sell some furniture before we go.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!!!!

delicatefade-
Welcome to CCOM. I think you made a good choice and you'll be happy here. I can try to answer some of your questions:

1. I'm married. For the first 2 years it's really not that bad, you can definitely make it work. Yes, your spouse needs to be understanding (especially around finals time) but you will rapidly learn how to manage your time. Also, keep in mind the more class you skip, the more you can study during the day, and the more time you can have free for your family. Just a thought. I always have dinner with my wife every night and we have plenty of time to do whatever on weekends and usually a few nights a week. Third and Fourth year will probably be a bit harder, but I'm just starting out there.

2. Definitely don't study over the summer, and certainly not organic chem. That has to be one of the most worthless classes for medical school. Seriously, don't even bring undergrad books/notes. You won't need them. I'd really suggest staying as far away from any textbooks as possible the summer before you start here, but if you absolutely must read something, maybe buy Netter or Moore (anatomy) and flip through that a bit to get a general idea of what anatomy is all about. That will be your toughest class.

3. Can't help on the on-campus apartments. I live off campus, sorry!

I had heard about the skipping class thing. Is it frowned upon? Which classes did you skip the most?

I'm more worried about Biochem than Anatomy. I'm a P.T. and have been teaching anatomy for the past year so I'm hoping to breeze through that one. :oops:

Hi guys

I was just just reading the AZCOM posting that was discussing the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations and how awful they are because you have to do the organization work yourself. Since CCOM is connected to AZCOM, I was wondering if anyone knew how similar/different our situation is at CCOM? It's something I never thought to ask during my interview. Not real smart, but I guess I just assumed the school would be responsible for "hooking us up", so to speak! ;)

SL0926 said:
Hi guys

I was just just reading the AZCOM posting that was discussing the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations and how awful they are because you have to do the organization work yourself. Since CCOM is connected to AZCOM, I was wondering if anyone knew how similar/different our situation is at CCOM? It's something I never thought to ask during my interview. Not real smart, but I guess I just assumed the school would be responsible for "hooking us up", so to speak! ;)

From what I know so far....CCOM's clinical years are completely different than AZCOM's...in fact, CCOM is known for its great clinical years. They have a whole system set up that rotates us through the various large hospitals in the chicago land area....but i hope someone already in their clinical years can shed some light on this issue....also I think earlier in this thread, the topic has came up so try to do a search as well..

Well, I'm not entirely sure how AZCOM's rotations work so I can't really compare the two. But I can tell you how ours are.

Around January of MS-2 we get access to an online program that allows us to rank-order our choices for rotations. During third year we get one elective but the other specialties are pretty much assigned...our input as to what order we do them in and where. Fourth year we get 5 electives.

There are lots of options to do rotations at various hospitals throughout Chicago. To be 100% honest, no one gets ALL of their top choices. It's just not possible with 160 students all trying to get certain spots. You will undoubtedly be stuck with a rotation or two that you didn't really want (ie, farther away). But overall most people get the majority of their choices. I'd say of the 8 required rotations I got assigned to this year, I was pretty happy with 6 of them. The other 2 aren't necessarily bad, but they will be a little bit of a drive. When you do electives, you can rotate anywhere in the city that you want (including the big academic hospitals downtown).

We really do have some great sites though. Everything from smaller suburban hospitals around the city to inner city, hardcore medicine (ever see ER? We rotate there.) I think it would be tough to find very many schools with a better breadth of opportunity for clinical education. I started my Peds rotation a week ago downtown and I'm really happy with it so far. Anyway, hope I could help. Good luck.

Hey guys, I'm in a huge bind right now. Please give me some advice on this ASAP. I just got an admissions call from CCOM and what happened is that I didn't end up getting my degree this year because I switched from Engineering to LAS senior year and engineering doesn't require any foreign language and LAS requries 2 years of it. I just got a call from admissions saying that due to this, there can be a technicality issue because on my AACOMAS, I did indicate I was going to end up getting a degree. However, I didn't know about this foreign language requirment till just last sem (after I was accepted). I have a meeting with Dean Nichols sometime soon and she wants to speak to me regarding this issue and make a decision on my matriculation. I am sooooo scared right now, what should I do? Any suggestions or any past succesful stories to share regarding this? Please help me out. Thanks