CCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are checking to see if you got an acceptance check your MWU portal. I never got an email and the letter came several days after there was a change on portal. Seems like that is the fastest way to find out.

As for those waiting, don't give up hope but be smart and start reapplying. I'm expecting to get off a ranked waitlist soon and I'll be dropping my spot at CCOM as soon as I know for sure. I know a few people that have acceptances at CCOM that are on waitlists at other places, mainly allo schools, so they will know more once mid May comes around.

Good luck folks!

Members don't see this ad.

What did you check? The Post-Accepted section? (If so, that's only a positive confirmation, correct? In the event of rejection or wait-listing it'd stay the same?)

I pretty sure there is a change no matter what situation you are in, but someone else would have to confirm it. For sure there is a change with acceptance. Hopefully someone will post here that they got in and then you confirm whether you are in or not.

The home page will show a pre-matriculation checklist and things will show up under the post-accepted heading. You will see a congratulations letter/matriculation agreement as well as the option to pay the deposit and it's due date. If you are accepted it will become pretty clear.

The home page will only update if accepted. It will still show the same ole thing if waitlisted or rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I think I got in! I have a post-acceptance checklist and a matriculation agreement with my name on it. It says that the deposit is due by May 6th. I'm still having trouble believing that I'm in. I can't remember what my MWU portal page looked like before and wouldn't even have thought to check it if I hadn't been checking this forum repeatedly. I haven't received a phone call or a letter yet and I didn't find out until after I the admissions office closed. Can someone who hasn't heard back yet confirm what their page looks like?

Oh, I inteviewed April 5th for those keeping track.

Well, I think I got in! I have a post-acceptance checklist and a matriculation agreement with my name on it. It says that the deposit is due by May 6th. I'm still having trouble believing that I'm in. I can't remember what my MWU portal page looked like before and wouldn't even have thought to check it if I hadn't been checking this forum repeatedly. I haven't received a phone call or a letter yet and I didn't find out until after I the admissions office closed. Can someone who hasn't heard back yet confirm what their page looks like?

Oh, I inteviewed April 5th for those keeping track.

Don't be paranoid...you got in!

Congratulations!

For everyone else, if the post-accepted checklist changed you are in. If nothing changed you are waitlisted or rejected. Simple as that.

Acceptance letters come via snail mail only.

I think that I'm beginning to accept it, but I won't feel 100% secure until I talk to admissions on Monday and have an official letter in my hands. Until then there's going to be a little voice in the back of my head that says it's the result of some computer glitch. :oops:

I really didn't think I stood a chance this cycle. I applied crazy late and this was the first time I had applied to D.O. schools. I was waitlisted by PNWU, which is practically in my backyard, so I thought I would just try again and apply early for the next cycle. I almost decided not to go to the CCOM interview because I was psyching myself out so much. Boy am I glad that I went! I loved the school and it clicked for me in a way that PNWU did not. I'm so excited that it clicked on their end too. So a cautiously optimistic woo hoo!!!

I'm still waiting to hear back from my in-state M.D. school, but at this point I don't really care what they have to say. The only glitch is that my partner and family live here, so a move would mean more than just a change in my own life.

I think that I'm beginning to accept it, but I won't feel 100% secure until I talk to admissions on Monday and have an official letter in my hands. Until then there's going to be a little voice in the back of my head that says it's the result of some computer glitch. :oops:

I really didn't think I stood a chance this cycle. I applied crazy late and this was the first time I had applied to D.O. schools. I was waitlisted by PNWU, which is practically in my backyard, so I thought I would just try again and apply early for the next cycle. I almost decided not to go to the CCOM interview because I was psyching myself out so much. Boy am I glad that I went! I loved the school and it clicked for me in a way that PNWU did not. I'm so excited that it clicked on their end too. So a cautiously optimistic woo hoo!!!

I'm still waiting to hear back from my in-state M.D. school, but at this point I don't really care what they have to say. The only glitch is that my partner and family live here, so a move would mean more than just a change in my own life.

you are accepted...seriously...go celebrate...you get to become a physician now!:D
everybody who was there with me got the letter like a week after they were accepted...if the portal needs money, it needs it for a reason..:laugh:
about the family thing...it will work itself out and I hope that you partner is more understanding about something so BIG like this.

Okay, it's official now. I spoke with admissions and received my letter yesterday. I am going to be a doctor! Now I've got to find a way to scrape together a $1000 bucks by May 6th. Ouch!

still patiently (or not patiently) waiting for the alternate list to start moving in early june.....

anyone waiting with me??? :)

I'm waiting! I wish you all luck! Since the waitlist isn't ranked, do you know how it works?

Hi All. Congratulations to those who are accepted and a whole-hearted good luck to those who are waiting. I am sure, and I have been told by people who got in after being on waitlists, that a Letter of Intent saying why you want to go to the school is a great help when coming off the waitlist. I know someone that was on the waitlist and wrote a letter every month and they finally let them in.

Who do you think the admissions committee will choose? The person with the letter saying why they want to go or the person without the letter.

Good luck and definitely send in a Letter of Intent if you are serous about wanting to go to this school.

I'm waiting! I wish you all luck! Since the waitlist isn't ranked, do you know how it works?

i think it is helpful if you submit a letter of intent as well as updated grades, cv etc.
perhaps even a new lor if you can get one going by the end of the month.

here is hoping both of us are keeping seats warm come august!!! :xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi future CCOM'ers!

I am a current first year at CCOM - I'm so excited that I will be done with my first year next week! I am looking to find a third roommate who wants to live just a little outside of the Downers Grove area. I lived in the dorms my first year. It was convenient to say the least, but I am very ready to get out and not feel like I am on campus every minute of my life. Oak Park/Forest Park is about a 20 min drive from campus. The house we are looking to rent is right by the green line el train that heads right into downtown Chicago. It's also a really safe neighborhood, with walking distance to a huge nice library, and coffee shops etc to study. The other roommate is a current 1st year medical student at Loyola. (We are both girls). If you are interested in finding out more about the house please send me a post or personal message. Also, if you have any other questions about the school or area feel free to ask. It's been a great experience so far and I remember checking these boards all the time while I was waitlisted to get in. Keep your head up! I didn't find out until mid-May that I was accepted off the waitlist.

Good luck!!!

Does anybody know approximately how much movement the CCOM alternate lists gets from the May 15th effect?

there is no may15th effect for osteo that is only allo schools.

i was told to not expect any news until early june.
as of earlier this week there was no word on movement any time this week or possibly next

Interviewed Apr 18th, received an acceptance call today (May 18th) after being put on alternate list!

Interviewed Apr 18th, received an acceptance call today (May 18th) after being put on alternate list!

Pretty sure April 16th was the last day of interviews, unless you had some VIP interviewing experience on a Sunday.

Pretty sure April 16th was the last day of interviews, unless you had some VIP interviewing experience on a Sunday.

Ooops, sorry about that, I meant April 16th Friday.

Stats and experience (if you don't mind me asking)? And are you going to take it? :)

Yeah, I took it. I withdrew from ATSU-SOMA today but unfortunately have already paid them $2000. Maybe they'll be nice enough to return at least half :p

My overall GPA is 3.46 and science is 3.6, MCAT 27Q, 2 years of full time clinical experience among some other activities

I thought my interview went fairly well, mostly ethical questions which I prepared for in a minimal fashion

Withdrew today to go to my state school. Congrats to whoever gets my spot!

Withdrew in favor of my state school. Good luck!

Does anyone know when we should hear back about on-campus housing?

Yeah, I took it. I withdrew from ATSU-SOMA today but unfortunately have already paid them $2000. Maybe they'll be nice enough to return at least half :p

My overall GPA is 3.46 and science is 3.6, MCAT 27Q, 2 years of full time clinical experience among some other activities

I thought my interview went fairly well, mostly ethical questions which I prepared for in a minimal fashion

I just saw that you were pulled off the alternate lise, Congrats!! What sort of things did you do to help yourself here, letter of intent, bug the hell out of them?? I'm sitting on alternate status with a 3.33cGPA and 30R MCAT

I've got some sort of silly questions...
Does CCOM have lockers or storage type places for off campus students? What about microwaves or toasters for those of us that bring lunch instead of buying food on campus?

Thanks :) And good luck to all those waiting - I'm thinking good thoughts for you!!

Does CCOM have lockers or storage type places for off campus students?
Ya at the beginning of the year you can grab almost any of the lockers in the physio hall. Normally people don't get them till they tell you to bring anatomy cloths. Just ask the 2nd years when you get here and they can steer you towards them.

What about microwaves or toasters for those of us that bring lunch instead of buying food on campus?

Yup there are a few placed around campus for you to use. There are some in the bottom of the commons (bottom of cafeteria), as well as in any of dorms. There are some in the 24hr study room and there are also bathrooms, and vending machines (one for coffee drinks) so you can study far longer than you should ;)

I have a question for those who have already applied to CCOM, regarding the secondary application. I'm hoping that their secondary essays do not change from year to year much because I'm starting work on mine based on the prompts posted from last year (if anyone knows if they definitely do change from year to year, please let me know :) ). My question is, how is the application filled out: is it online, or do we mail it in? I ask because I'm wondering how set in stone the 1500 character limit is on the essays? Thanks in advance!

I have a question for those who have already applied to CCOM, regarding the secondary application. I'm hoping that their secondary essays do not change from year to year much because I'm starting work on mine based on the prompts posted from last year (if anyone knows if they definitely do change from year to year, please let me know :) ). My question is, how is the application filled out: is it online, or do we mail it in? I ask because I'm wondering how set in stone the 1500 character limit is on the essays? Thanks in advance!

You do the application online so the 1500 character limit is not flexible. Best of luck to you.

I know they've accepted people off the waitlist, but it doesn't seem like there's been very much movement? Maybe they aren't in need of many alternates? This uncertainty is frustrating.

I know they've accepted people off the waitlist, but it doesn't seem like there's been very much movement? Maybe they aren't in need of many alternates? This uncertainty is frustrating.

when i was first placed on the waitlist i was told that they occasionally accepted people in may but that was rare by numerous sources here on campus, including people in the admissions office. from what i was told, things really do not start moving until june.
plus it seems strange that all of us are waiting and if i look over the last few pages i think i saw about 5-10 spots waiting to be filled and only one called off the waitlist....so something seems very strange. either that or everyone who got called off does not post here :laugh:

either way...i am hopeful we should see some movement soon!!! :xf:

Hi all,
I just withdrew my acceptance (which I have been sitting on since November) from CCOM in favor of my state school. Hopefully, my seat goes to one of you!:xf: I can completely understand how evil this waiting can be, trust me I do!:oops:
I wish you all the best of luck and hope that it will work out for you in the end.:luck:
Sincerely,
Ismailidoc

PS. If you are sure, then how about a letter of intent letting them know! just a thought...:D

My accomas for next cycle was delivered to schools yesterday, I've definetly given up on the alternate list. Seeing as it's almost June and seen no real movement off this thread.

Last edited:
My accomas for next cycle was delivered to schools yesterday, I've definetly given up on the alternate list. Seeing as it's almost June and seen no real movement off this thread.

that is why i said earlier that something seems funky....only one person here off the alternate list :confused::confused:

something seems funky.....

Waitlist movement seems to be down the drain at most schools..either it will say like this or all of a sudden spots will open up the week before schools start and people will scramble to get across the country overnight..

Regardless, there is nothing anyone can do but wait while making back up plans.

Good luck

My friend got taken off the waitlist yesterday. However she got into her state school and forgot to withdraw. So that's at least one more position they will be filling.

i know somebody who got in off the waitlist (I think, waitlist, unless they are still giving out reg acceptances in June) This was like 3 weeks ago.

Ya you know just be realistic with yourself at this point but also don't completely give up hope. A couple of kids in our class got in the first week of orientation and had to move here quickly with no furniture until they could move more of their stuff here.

hey have any ideas if your friend stats were close to mine, 30 mcat, 3.56 gpa undergrad?

Hey guys just got home and checked my voicemail and email- I just got off CCOM's waitlist. I'm definitely pretty happy. But i'm probably going to decline my spot tomorrow morning when I call in (would of done it today if I would of gotten out earlier). Just posting this because you guys should be happy the list is moving and will likely move more (Even though its been some what slow)

good luck

:soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited:

i also got THE call today!!!

i am officially out of limbo land and into the class of 2014!!!!

YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited: :soexcited:

i also got THE call today!!!

i am officially out of limbo land and into the class of 2014!!!!

YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice, you definitely deserve it...i'm very happy for you

does that make your MBS class 100%

Hey guys does anyone know where I can find the cheapest apt within 10 min from school.