CCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
received a letter from CCOM today telling me that they were sorry they could not extend an interview invite to me... atleast they sent a letter lol

Letter?? Not email??

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed yesterday and Mike said the class is "about 80% filled with a handful of acceptance offers pending." He also noted that this was an exceptionally competitive application season with ~5,500 applicants, ~600 interviewed, and 200 spots available. This means you have a 1/3 chance of receiving an acceptance post-interview, but much more with people matriculating elsewhere.

With regards to the alternate list after interviewing, we were told that they pull from it almost every year (except 1 year) and that anywhere from 10-40 people will be accepted from it. Mike said that they continue to pull people off of this list into the orientation week (I believe the last week of July).

gmreed2 hope your interview went well! i was there on the 22nd interviewing as well! everything you said here is right on, just so everyone else reading this knows. let me know who you were! hope you get a good decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
received a letter from CCOM today telling me that they were sorry they could not extend an interview invite to me... atleast they sent a letter lol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm just waiting to receive the same letter. After e-mailing them last week they had replied that a letter had been sent from the office in regards to my admission to my address...i was like....eff.... ah well!

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question or not.

How good is CCOM with out of state students. I know LECOM, PCOM are very friendly to out of state students. Also what would be considered competitive numbers for CCOM. I know GPA wise i'll be around a 3.35 come june when I apply and MCATs are coming up May 1st. I am scoring in the 25-30 range with a month to go.

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask this question or not.

How good is CCOM with out of state students. I know LECOM, PCOM are very friendly to out of state students. Also what would be considered competitive numbers for CCOM. I know GPA wise i'll be around a 3.35 come june when I apply and MCATs are coming up May 1st. I am scoring in the 25-30 range with a month to go.

I think CCOM is very out of state friendly. We have a lot of people from Illinois in our class from just the shear number that apply but we also have a lot of students from all over the US.

Is that 3.35 your cumulative or science gpa? The most important piece of advice I can give you is to apply early. The sooner you get your primary in, the sooner you'll get your secondary, and the sooner you get your secondary in, the sooner you'll hear back from them about an interview. I submitted my primary in mid July, got my secondary almost immediately after it was processed (~1 month), submitted it, and interviewed in late September. I got my acceptance by mid-late October. Every step of this process takes longer when they get more applicants so beat the rush if you can. To answer your question, those numbers may be competitive but the longer you wait, the less competitive they may become when admissions gets hit with the bulk of applications.

I have a question about the loan process with Midwestern. Being "independent", I will need loans for my entire tuition and for my cost of living. I applied back in February for the federal graduate loans through the Midwestern portal. Do I wait to see how much I will get before I apply for the Graduate Plus loan as well? The Plus loan asks me for a "requested amount" and I have no clue how much additional money I need (because I haven't found out how much I will receive from the federal graduate loan). And I am using Sallie Mae for the graduate loan. Any advice from a CCOM student would be greatly appreciated!

I have a question about the loan process with Midwestern. Being "independent", I will need loans for my entire tuition and for my cost of living. I applied back in February for the federal graduate loans through the Midwestern portal. Do I wait to see how much I will get before I apply for the Graduate Plus loan as well? The Plus loan asks me for a "requested amount" and I have no clue how much additional money I need (because I haven't found out how much I will receive from the federal graduate loan). And I am using Sallie Mae for the graduate loan. Any advice from a CCOM student would be greatly appreciated!

I would say the majority of us in the class are "independent" and are probably taking out the max in loans. If you can live with a SO or someone else to take down living costs it might be a good idea. You'll still probably end up taking out almost the maximum amount unless you have another source of funding but if you spend less on rent you'll have more to spend on other things.

As far as how much to take out in stafford just go for the full amount. For grad plus you apply for the full amount so you can be rewarded it and then you can just not take out the max. If it turns out you need more you can go to the financial aid office during the quarter and request they release more funds to you, up to the amount you qualified for. I would advise you to call the FA office regarding how to specifically apply for certain amounts. They are VERY helpful and friendly.

Regarding lenders most of the 2013 students in the country went with discover as our lender because they offered no origination fees and their % was something like .5 less than other lenders. Check out the financial aid thread from last year and there is a site you can go to and compare all the lenders rates for GradPlus loans.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Regarding lenders most of the 2013 students in the country went with discover as our lender because they offered no origination fees and their % was something like .5 less than other lenders. Check out the financial aid thread from last year and there is a site you can go to and compare all the lenders rates for GradPlus loans.

So turns out along with the healthcare bill apparently there are no private lenders anymore. I'm not sure what this means but I think it means all loans are through the gov so you may not need to worry about selecting a lender now. Definitely call the FA office to get more details.

I called yesterday and she told me the whole deal. Guess that will make the decision easier! lol thanks for the help though TeamZissou

Hey, ya'll. I'm still considering this school ever since my acceptance here. I'll let you all know.

Hi All,

I just checked the CCOM application site and the section under "Accepted Student Checklist" was different. I clicked on it and it had my matriculation agreement and a way to pay the deposit. I paid it and it said that I am officially a student at CCOM. I haven't received the snail mail letter from them but I think it is official. This is definitely my first choice.

Congratulations to all of those accepted and good luck to everyone applying and interviewing.

CCOM Class of 2014!

Members don't see this ad :)
RichardBrown thank you for that tip, I had the same thing waiting for me!

I interviewed on 3/15 if that helps anyone waiting. Good luck to everyone and see you in the fall!

Adumar,

I was there on the 15th as well. Are you currently living in DC?

No, I'm local. currently live 30 minutes from campus, but I will be moving closer.

RichardBrown thank you for that tip, I had the same thing waiting for me!

I interviewed on 3/15 if that helps anyone waiting. Good luck to everyone and see you in the fall!

+1.

Same date, same message waiting for me at the website portal. Good luck!

Thanks to the individual who shared that they got an interview invite 3/31. :)

Did anyone else get an interivew invite since that date??? I hope that interviews haven't ended quite yet. :xf:

I am hoping for a lot of "musical chair" movement in the world of osteopathic & allopathic schools. I hope more seats are available than 20% at CCOM. :luck:

For anyone waiting for an admissions decisions, check your mwunet portal. I interviewed last Friday (26th) and I got on today and I had already been accepted. Good luck to all.

Adumar,

I was there on the 15th as well. Are you currently living in DC?

Haha, you are thinking of me! Just took a look at portal and I'm happy to say I also got an acceptance! Seems like a lot of us on the 15th did.

Not sure if I'm going here until I hear back from a few more schools but I am definitely happy I got in here!

Just as a reference....

Submitted Supplemental - 12/23/09
Interview Invite - 02/02/10
Interviewed - 03/15/10
Accepted - 04/2/10

Richard I can't remember if it was you and I talking about Atul Gawande but I am actually reading The Checklist Manifesto at the moment.

Just checked my status and I am accepted. For you data heads out there and for future applicants:

12/23 - Primary Submitted
1/8 - Primary Complete email from CCOM
1/13 - Secondary Received
1/16 - Secondary Submitted
1/20 - Verification email from CCOM
2/3 - Interview Offer
3/22 - Interview
4/4 - Acceptance

do you guys think a 30 mcat and 3.5 gpa will cut it? oh and I have plenty of EC, research, and letters of rec.
interviewed in March, no change from online portal.

You sound like the ideal applicant...but at this point there are allegedly only 20% of 200 seats available.

I wish there was some way to figure out if CCOM is offering more interviews past April 5th. That will be the key to find out.

And congratulations to those of you who were accepted. You are more than welcome to join the facebook group:

CCOM Class of 2014!

Can any students throw out the names of some single bedroom apartments nearby?

Also, how can I get a tour of the residence halls of pine apartments on campus?

do you guys think a 30 mcat and 3.5 gpa will cut it? oh and I have plenty of EC, research, and letters of rec.
interviewed in March, no change from online portal.

I have a 31M MCAT and a cGPA of 3.79, lousy E.C.'s and decent LoR's so you should be fine. I know someone who was accepted last year with a 24O 3.93 cGPA. So you should be fine, if you don't get in this year though be ready to apply again in June, that will greatly increase your chances of acceptance.

You sound like the ideal applicant...but at this point there are allegedly only 20% of 200 seats available.

I wish there was some way to figure out if CCOM is offering more interviews past April 5th. That will be the key to find out.

I have an interview next Tuesday the 13th. On the web portal I could reschedule to Friday the 16th. I think the 16th may be the last day of interviews, although don't quote me on that.

It's wonderful that CCOM is interviewing up until mid-April.

Last edited:
I was placed on the waitlist, so does this mean I may have a shot after the final interviews, or do they go through the waitlist as students drop now?

hey guys question?

1) I interviewed 3/15- i'm worried because i currently have nothing under my matriculation agreement portion from ccom. So i'm curious did you guys get an email asking you to check the portal? , do you think all decisions for the 3/15 group are made?, and do you think they mail home the rejections vs. posting acceptances online?

2) I was accepted to azcom a bit ago, and accepted their matriculation as well, i'd rather go to ccom though. Do you think CCOM's matriculation doesn't show up because azcom's is present or are they truly mutually exclusive? Anybody accepted at both and see them on their portal?

thanks again,

Hey for all those out-of-staters that interviewed and flew into Chicago for your interview: Did most people head to the airport right after the interview day was over? If so, did most people split a cab back to the airport after the interview day?

hey guys question?

1) I interviewed 3/15- i'm worried because i currently have nothing under my matriculation agreement portion from ccom. So i'm curious did you guys get an email asking you to check the portal? , do you think all decisions for the 3/15 group are made?, and do you think they mail home the rejections vs. posting acceptances online?

2) I was accepted to azcom a bit ago, and accepted their matriculation as well, i'd rather go to ccom though. Do you think CCOM's matriculation doesn't show up because azcom's is present or are they truly mutually exclusive? Anybody accepted at both and see them on their portal?

thanks again,

I never got any emails or letters yet from MWU to check portal. I just checked because I monitored this thread. The portal change includes a formal letter with your name, and what is expected of you to complete pre-matriculation (i.e. deposit and forms).

I honestly doubt they would change portal for some and not others. I suspect that because of Easter weekend the mail has been coming slowly.

I'm not accepted at AZCOM or anything but I doubt that they wouldn't have something in place to separate the deposits, letters, requirements of both schools. They have that separation for scheduling interviews so its likely they have that system in place for acceptances.

Sorry :(

Hey for all those out-of-staters that interviewed and flew into Chicago for your interview: Did most people head to the airport right after the interview day was over? If so, did most people split a cab back to the airport after the interview day?

Had to fly out from O'hare after the interview, but I didn't share a cab because I stayed a little later. Had to drop about 25-30 if I remember correctly. Share if you can...you actually have a ton of time while you wait for everyone to complete their interviews so bring it up to the group then. Also, order your cab through the lady at the admissions office. She does all the heavy lifting of bringing the cab directly to you and for a discount.

thanks again,

You will be able to see both.

Had to fly out from O'hare after the interview, but I didn't share a cab because I stayed a little later. Had to drop about 25-30 if I remember correctly. Share if you can...you actually have a ton of time while you wait for everyone to complete their interviews so bring it up to the group then. Also, order your cab through the lady at the admissions office. She does all the heavy lifting of bringing the cab directly to you and for a discount.

Haha $hit man for $40 I'll take 4 of you to Ohare and answer any ?'s I can along the way ;) (yes I am that poor)

I just got the acceptance letter yesterday, which I will be declining in favor of another school. I interviewed March 16th. Best of luck to all!

Yeah, the letters are out. Now I can be confident that I am in for sure. Good luck to everyone applying and congratulations to those who are in.

Anyone get any interview invites lately??

Last edited:
So.... I never got an interview, and never got a rejection......... ?????????? Are they still interviewing?

Had an interview this week and admissions said that Friday is the last day of interviews. Sorry for all those that didn't get interviews.

So now that they are done interviewing this Friday, I wonder what my chances are of getting off the waitlist and into CCOM. Its my top choice.

So now that they are done interviewing this Friday, I wonder what my chances are of getting off the waitlist and into CCOM. Its my top choice.

On my interview day they stated that they will start looking at the waitlist in June. They also said they also always have to pull some people from the waitlist to fill their class.

I guess the admissions committee met either yesterday or today to review all applicants that recently interviewed. I think the dean just has to sign off on the acceptances and then they should go out. Has anyone heard any good news yet?

so they are done interviewing? Let's get this waitlist moving, have been on it since early december. 3.33cGPA, 30R MCAT you guys think they'll pull me off??