-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
CCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by cbrons
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, or about the commuting (I'm from about 30min away of campus), feel free to ask me. I am starting here in a few weeks!
Thanks for offering help.
I have question about secondary app essays.
The question asked are very specific about student and what they can bring to CCOM, and why they are choosing CCOM. Same are for AZCOM as well. Whats more important to discuss on secondary apps? What was your experience?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i have a few friends that are in the DO program at CCOM. they said its a very good campus.. i kinda wanna take a tour of the campus and check it out as well.
if you do not get to do one of the tours but live in the area i highly recommend attending the health career professions day, i think they are usually in mid sept to mid october. you can check www.midwestern.edu and downers grove campus. they will post when it is there and you can rsvp. it is a wonderful chance to get your face seen, tour the campus and talk with students.
Thanks for offering help.
I have question about secondary app essays.
The question asked are very specific about student and what they can bring to CCOM, and why they are choosing CCOM. Same are for AZCOM as well. Whats more important to discuss on secondary apps? What was your experience?
IMHO they are 2 separate questions.
one is asking why ccom? (essentially) is it the tradition, the foundation the dedication to community? what about ccom attracts you and makes you want to go here over all of the other do schools in the country (same applies to azcom)
the second is asking why you? what makes you different unique over the other applicants they get. what makes you you. i think you could probably use very similar (if not the same) essays for applying to both azcom and ccom since your answer to this will not change very much.
hth some and best wishes on the upcoming cycle!!!

Soooooooo...
Has anyone heard/learned anything at all?
from what i remember last yr i do not think the first interview invites go out until august after classes start.

IMHO they are 2 separate questions.
one is asking why ccom? (essentially) is it the tradition, the foundation the dedication to community? what about ccom attracts you and makes you want to go here over all of the other do schools in the country (same applies to azcom)
the second is asking why you? what makes you different unique over the other applicants they get. what makes you you. i think you could probably use very similar (if not the same) essays for applying to both azcom and ccom since your answer to this will not change very much.
hth some and best wishes on the upcoming cycle!!!![]()
Thanks...and congrats on getting in.
I will do some more research on CCOM & AZCOM to compile these two answers. I think these two questions might have a lot of say on who got invite for interviews. Thanks for help.
If anyone has any questions about the application/interview process, or about the commuting (I'm from about 30min away of campus), feel free to ask me. I am starting here in a few weeks!
Hey! CCOM is one of my top choices. Any ideas on the best ways to commute to downtown Chicago from Downer's Grove? Or about how long it takes? If I end up at CCOM, my boyfriend will probably be in law school in the downtown Chicago area- we're just trying to get a feel for how long of a commute it would be to/from either place... so let me know if you know!
Thanks 🙂
it depends where in chicago ur tryna commute from!
im from the suburbs of chicago and go to undergrad in the city. I am also applying to ccom and even though it is a great school.....the area blows. Its a suburb and mad boring (big downgrade after chillin in the city for undergrad). Its not efficient to live in the city and commute everyday during ur first two years based on the time and cost of city for that matter of fact also. My parents live 30 min from ccom in the suburbs and I could live with them but that would drive me nutz personally and it would be boring as hell!!
Still during the third and fourth years, most ppl move to the city since you are all over for your rotations!!
So in my case we ll see wut happens and where else i get in!
im from the suburbs of chicago and go to undergrad in the city. I am also applying to ccom and even though it is a great school.....the area blows. Its a suburb and mad boring (big downgrade after chillin in the city for undergrad). Its not efficient to live in the city and commute everyday during ur first two years based on the time and cost of city for that matter of fact also. My parents live 30 min from ccom in the suburbs and I could live with them but that would drive me nutz personally and it would be boring as hell!!
Still during the third and fourth years, most ppl move to the city since you are all over for your rotations!!
So in my case we ll see wut happens and where else i get in!
it depends where in chicago ur tryna commute from!
im from the suburbs of chicago and go to undergrad in the city. I am also applying to ccom and even though it is a great school.....the area blows. Its a suburb and mad boring (big downgrade after chillin in the city for undergrad). Its not efficient to live in the city and commute everyday during ur first two years based on the time and cost of city for that matter of fact also. My parents live 30 min from ccom in the suburbs and I could live with them but that would drive me nutz personally and it would be boring as hell!!
Still during the third and fourth years, most ppl move to the city since you are all over for your rotations!!
So in my case we ll see wut happens and where else i get in!
LOL... I couldn't disagree more. Downer's Grove, particularly the side that CCOM sits on, is a pretty upscale neighborhood with easy highway access to whatever you want. If your from the city and find the northwest suburbs boring, you must really be a hardcore city dweller. I lived in the burbs my whole life, attend undergrad in rural Illinois and can't STAND the city. I hate driving in the city, I hate walking in the city, I hate the prices/outragious taxes in the city, I hate the noise, I hate the pollution, I can't stand the sheer amount of people, etc. etc. But some people can't live without that stuff and many are good friends of mine.
Hey! CCOM is one of my top choices. Any ideas on the best ways to commute to downtown Chicago from Downer's Grove? Or about how long it takes? If I end up at CCOM, my boyfriend will probably be in law school in the downtown Chicago area- we're just trying to get a feel for how long of a commute it would be to/from either place... so let me know if you know!
Thanks 🙂
if you are willing to take the train you are looking at about 30 minutes one way to the station plus then you have to get to campus. there are buses that run near campus as well as supposedly some sort of shuttle but i have never seen it. you may want to contact the office of student services and ask them about if there is a shuttle from the train station to campus as that would truly be your best bet.
do you guys know their mcat average?
i have a 3.9 science and non-science gpa, 1 year of DO shadowing experience + letter, strong extracurriculars, personal statement and letters... and then only 25 mcat. any thoughts?
We have incredibly close applications and I got in last year. Best of luck to ya!
do you guys know their mcat average?
i have a 3.9 science and non-science gpa, 1 year of DO shadowing experience + letter, strong extracurriculars, personal statement and letters... and then only 25 mcat. any thoughts?
With some solid essay answers and a good CV, you should nab an interview!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA and 29 MCAT. I don't have much DO shadowing though, only 8 hrs but the DO promised he would write me a reference letter... Do you think I have a chance of getting an interview?
I would say you have a good shot at an interview, with other good EC's especially.

Wow I didn't know there was already a new application season underway. Time goes way too fast once you start.
So here is a link to all the posts I wrote for last year's thread. I don't have time to go through and repaste them but perhaps someone who gets bored this summer can gather relevant ones and make a nice list. Give some of these a read as most of them relate directly to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck all👍
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=14367922
So here is a link to all the posts I wrote for last year's thread. I don't have time to go through and repaste them but perhaps someone who gets bored this summer can gather relevant ones and make a nice list. Give some of these a read as most of them relate directly to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck all👍
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=14367922
Wow I didn't know there was already a new application season underway. Time goes way too fast once you start.
So here is a link to all the posts I wrote for last year's thread. I don't have time to go through and repaste them but perhaps someone who gets bored this summer can gather relevant ones and make a nice list. Give some of these a read as most of them relate directly to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck all👍
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=14367922
the link gives the folowing message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
the link gives the folowing message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Yeah same here. I couldn't open the link either
I think this is the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=643349&highlight=CCOM+discussion+thread+2009-2010
Also, could a current student tell me if some or most of the classes have a smaller group learning component or anything like that?
Also, could a current student tell me if some or most of the classes have a smaller group learning component or anything like that?
Damn, ok well if you just go look in at my previous posts there have been about 4 where i've compiled links on posts i've made. They have the gist of the info for the typical questions like nearby apartments and stuff. I won't make it on here as much this year so please read last year's thread.
I think this is the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=643349&highlight=CCOM+discussion+thread+2009-2010
Also, could a current student tell me if some or most of the classes have a smaller group learning component or anything like that?
we do workshops with biochem and in physio but i am not sure what they involve.
any ideas how much they welcome OOS applicants?
Most of their applicants and students come from the surrounding region of IL, WI, MI, and OH. But I was OOS and they never brought it up with me. I think they are open to taking OOS students but they just don't receive as many applications from OOS.
I would sell my right kidney to get accepted to CCOM. I love the school and I love Chicago (I'm from PA tho). What do you think... 3.73 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA, 28 MCAT, some research, 10 week clinical internship+volunteering+30 hours D.O. shadowing+other ec's...
Did everyone get another "Why consider CCOM?" email?
Did everyone get another "Why consider CCOM?" email?
yes
Did everyone get another "Why consider CCOM?" email?
Yeah, at like 3AM right? ha
Yeah, at like 3AM right? ha
yeah, I feel like ccom is turning into jealous girlfriend or something.
yeah, I feel like ccom is turning into jealous girlfriend or something.
well, if it accepts me, i'll be however whipped it wants me to be, lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm new to SD 😛
Ok, so heres the deal: I submitted my AACOMAS application the DAY it opened up this year, and less than two weeks later I received the secondary from CCOM. Within five days I completed the secondary/supplemental and sent it in (so 7/12/10 submitted)... Anyone know when I should hear back from them regarding an interview/rejection/or any sort of response?
Basically, whats the typical timeline, approximate dates look like for the following:
1) receiving a secondary (well forget this one haha)
2) interview/rejection
3) acceptance/rejection/waitlist
Thanksssss =)))
CCOM class of 2015 or bustttttttttttt 😀
Edit: Oh, and does anyone know if they wait to look at your file until all the letters of recommendations are in or do they start to consider it immediately?
Ok, so heres the deal: I submitted my AACOMAS application the DAY it opened up this year, and less than two weeks later I received the secondary from CCOM. Within five days I completed the secondary/supplemental and sent it in (so 7/12/10 submitted)... Anyone know when I should hear back from them regarding an interview/rejection/or any sort of response?
Basically, whats the typical timeline, approximate dates look like for the following:
1) receiving a secondary (well forget this one haha)
2) interview/rejection
3) acceptance/rejection/waitlist
Thanksssss =)))
CCOM class of 2015 or bustttttttttttt 😀
Edit: Oh, and does anyone know if they wait to look at your file until all the letters of recommendations are in or do they start to consider it immediately?
Last edited:
So I'm new to SD 😛
Ok, so heres the deal: I submitted my AACOMAS application the DAY it opened up this year, and less than two weeks later I received the secondary from CCOM. Within five days I completed the secondary/supplemental and sent it in (so 7/12/10 submitted)... Anyone know when I should hear back from them regarding an interview/rejection/or any sort of response?
Basically, whats the typical timeline, approximate dates look like for the following:
1) receiving a secondary (well forget this one haha)
2) interview/rejection
3) acceptance/rejection/waitlist
Thanksssss =)))
CCOM class of 2015 or bustttttttttttt 😀
Edit: Oh, and does anyone know if they wait to look at your file until all the letters of recommendations are in or do they start to consider it immediately?
I believe you need to have the required letters in before they will consider your file. They send you a "complete" e-mail once those are in. They haven't started handing out interviews yet and i have no idea how long the turn-around is after interview.
So I'm new to SD 😛
Ok, so heres the deal: I submitted my AACOMAS application the DAY it opened up this year, and less than two weeks later I received the secondary from CCOM. Within five days I completed the secondary/supplemental and sent it in (so 7/12/10 submitted)... Anyone know when I should hear back from them regarding an interview/rejection/or any sort of response?
Basically, whats the typical timeline, approximate dates look like for the following:
1) receiving a secondary (well forget this one haha)
2) interview/rejection
3) acceptance/rejection/waitlist
Thanksssss =)))
CCOM class of 2015 or bustttttttttttt 😀
Edit: Oh, and does anyone know if they wait to look at your file until all the letters of recommendations are in or do they start to consider it immediately?
they will not review your application until they have received all your LORs
as far as the otehr two:
2) from what i know this varies. it can be quick w/in a month or so once they start sending out interview invites (which they have not done yet) or you could be on hold for a while. you will not hear of an outright rejection until late march/early april.
3.) the decision from your interview again depends on when you interview. it can be a few weeks to amonth depending on where you fall between the adcom meetings (they meet once per month usually at the end of the month). if you interview early in month you will not hear until the next month in all likelihood but if you interview late in the month then you will not have as long to wait (assuming you interview before the adcom meets)
hth some
I have to say that CCOM's supplemental was probably the most brutal for me, and I've finished about 15 or so schools. I couldn't find anything specific to write about except for the board pass rate and residency selections. All the other schools have a lot of information on specific courses, tracks offered and the student life/social involvement. I couldn't find any of that on CCOM's website, but I did my best so hopefully they won't reject me..my why CCOM essay totally sucked though, argh!
i have to say that ccom's supplemental was probably the most brutal for me, and i've finished about 15 or so schools. I couldn't find anything specific to write about except for the board pass rate and residency selections. All the other schools have a lot of information on specific courses, tracks offered and the student life/social involvement. I couldn't find any of that on ccom's website, but i did my best so hopefully they won't reject me..my why ccom essay totally sucked though, argh!
+1
I used very similar essays for ccom and azcom...but I did talk about azcoms more modern facilities versus ccoms good location. Midwestern's site is alittle vague so you gotta kind of do some research. I had a dvd each campus sent me last year so I watched that to get an idea.
I go to school near chicago and am working in the city for the summer. I visited campus a couple weeks ago, and it really helped me with writing the why CCOM essay. Also, the visit secured in my mind that this is one of my top choice schools! Good luck everyone.
I want to get into CCOM so bad! Ahhh, the nerrrvees!!!!!waiting to hear back after the secondary
![]()
Me too.... I know that AZCOM and CCOM are separate but ever since my AZCOM interview invite I keep obsessively checking back to see if CCOM has posted their first batch yet (and if I got one lol). It's completely illogical but I can't help myself!

Me too.... I know that AZCOM and CCOM are separate but ever since my AZCOM interview invite I keep obsessively checking back to see if CCOM has posted their first batch yet (and if I got one lol). It's completely illogical but I can't help myself!![]()
psh, you think thats bad... I check every 1/2 hour hoping for one of the two. Knowing for a fact that AZCOM has started handing them out just makes me more antsy. This 2nd time applying is 100x worse than the first. SDN made it easier to get through everything and improved my application but it has also driven me neurotic.
fwiw, i do not think that ccom starts handing out interview invites until after their new ms-1's start classes.
we have orientation next week and officially start classes on aug 9th.
we have orientation next week and officially start classes on aug 9th.
for anyone in the area, MWU is now taking reservations for the Fall Health career professions day. it is a wonderful way to find out more about the school, take a tour and talk to students.
Here is a link:
http://www.midwestern.edu/x2774.xml
Here is a link:
http://www.midwestern.edu/x2774.xml
Last edited:
Hey does anyone know if the admissions committee from CCOM would be able to see AZCOM apps or vice versa? ... I have kind of a "form letter" style essay for the "why this school" questions that I just change a few things for each school and want to know if they'd pick up on it.
Hey does anyone know if the admissions committee from CCOM would be able to see AZCOM apps or vice versa? ... I have kind of a "form letter" style essay for the "why this school" questions that I just change a few things for each school and want to know if they'd pick up on it.
I don't think they can. My apps for each school were similar in form however I researched and had specifics for each school that I kinda swapped out. If you haven't spent the time to find details individual to each school I'd suggest taking a few hours to do so. It doesn't have to be because AZ has a core rotation in cardiology vs CCOM does one in EM, but just verbalized why you choose to apply to the school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK Thanks. I've done what you did, swap out details for each school but leave some of the wording around the details the same.I don't think they can. My apps for each school were similar in form however I researched and had specifics for each school that I kinda swapped out. If you haven't spent the time to find details individual to each school I'd suggest taking a few hours to do so. It doesn't have to be because AZ has a core rotation in cardiology vs CCOM does one in EM, but just verbalized why you choose to apply to the school.
OK Thanks. I've done what you did, swap out details for each school but leave some of the wording around the details the same.
Ok ya that's what I did and it worked for me. Just as long as there is different meanings in the two. I'm not on the adcom though so take it FWIW.
Working ok for me
Similar threads
- Replies
- 117
- Views
- 39K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 371
- Views
- 97K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 411
- Views
- 98K
waiting to hear back after the secondary 