CCOM vs DMU vs UMN-Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KummerSpeck2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I have been fortunate enough to be accepted at a couple of different schools and I am having a hard time deciding between them. A little about me: I am an Iowa native, but currently live in Minnesota. My family is spread out throughout the Midwest, so no matter which school I choose, I will have family within 3 hours of me.

I know a lot of comparisons have been done between CCOM and DMU, but the only justification for choosing DMU over CCOM is the tuition. While this is definitely a major factor to consider, I would like to know other people's opinions as well.

CCOM
Pros:
- Rotation sites are throughout the Chicagoland area, many of which are residency sites
- Bigger campus feel
- Have friends in the area
- Easier to travel (I am running the Berlin Marathon this year, COVID pending)
- Easier for my girlfriend to find a job
- Well establish and respected program in Chicago
- Had a great experience when I went to visit
- Good residency match rates

Cons:
- High tuition
- Expensive cost of living

DMU
Pros:
- Well established program
- Good residency match rates
- Fewer OMM hours
- Not specifically primary care focused
- Supports taking USMLE

Cons:
- Unsure of rotation sites
- Harder for my girlfriend to find a job

If I got off the waitlist for Duluth, I would most likely go there because I am more familiar with the faculty and program as I work for the medical school on the Twin Cities campus. I would appreciate any input anyone could offer me to help me make my decision. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar position and one thing that I have heard consistently is that Des Moines is an up-and-coming young persons' city. Obviously its not Chicago, but then again Downer's Grove is not Chicago either. Match rates are pretty similar- DMU has published its most recent matches, but CCOM is lagging by a couple years. I wonder if CCOM saw a dip in match rates this past year similar to DMU with the combined residency.

For those who have voted (or even haven't voted at this point), besides price, why DMU over CCOM? They are both older, well established DO schools, but CCOM has rotations throughout the Chicagoland area and DMU has a lottery system for their rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have voted (or even haven't voted at this point), besides price, why DMU over CCOM? They are both older, well established DO schools, but CCOM has rotations throughout the Chicagoland area and DMU has a lottery system for their rotations.
For me, it was a gut feeling besides price. The students I talked to at DMU all seemed to love it while CCOM students liked it but seemed ambivalent. Could be sampling bias, but it contributed. Also I spoke with a cardiothoracic surgeon in the Chicagoland area who has worked with CCOM students and he said they are fantastic! But he also worked with DMU students and said the same. So, with a tie on my hands, I went with DMU

For me, it was a gut feeling besides price. The students I talked to at DMU all seemed to love it while CCOM students liked it but seemed ambivalent. Could be sampling bias, but it contributed. Also I spoke with a cardiothoracic surgeon in the Chicagoland area who has worked with CCOM students and he said they are fantastic! But he also worked with DMU students and said the same. So, with a tie on my hands, I went with DMU

I think the objectives should win here. Lower cost of living and tuition is a big deal. Lottery systems for rotations usually work out. DMU. Sounds like you are on a waitlist for the MD school. As long as SO can get a job, minimize loans! most school curriculum for the first two years would support your marathon.