CD-ROM or DVD Veternarian guides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spintix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone i have talked to has told me that buying any kind of book is a waste of money since i am going to go through plenty while working first towards a bachelors in animal science and then apply to vet schools.. but i wanted to find something (possibly a CD-ROM or DVD) "walk through" of some sort that could help me get a better overall feel of the field and point out the most common and basic things seen and used in an everyday small animal veterinary clinic in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone i have talked to has told me that buying any kind of book is a waste of money since i am going to go through plenty while working first towards a bachelors in animal science and then apply to vet schools.. but i wanted to find something (possibly a CD-ROM or DVD) "walk through" of some sort that could help me get a better overall feel of the field and point out the most common and basic things seen and used in an everyday small animal veterinary clinic in the US.

I have never seen a CD-Rom or DVD on the topic you mentioned....not really sure if there is something like that on the market. But I wouldn't worry about it. Volunteering at a veterinary clinic will give you a better feel of the field more than any DVD will.

yeah, but i just wish there was a book or something out there that has everything i'm looking for.. an easy to understand, fully illustrated book that will teach me the overall basics of what goes on in a small animal veterinary clinic. Including the most common diagnoses and medicines.. etc.. i heard the merck veterinary manual is great but has a ton of stuff in it that is useless and that i will probably never come across

I used Principles and Practice of Veterinary Technology by Margi Sirois and the 6th edition of Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians edited by Dennis McCurnin and Joanna Bassert when I was studying for the national tech exam. Both of these cover the basics of the field since they're meant to be a wide overview for vet tech students. I'm not sure if there are similar books out there, but for vets. These ones were pretty good and I think they'd probbaly cover what you're looking for. If you're interested, try picking them up through interlibrary loan and checking them out before purchasing either. They're a little expensive, so it's better to see if you like them before purchasing one and wasting $70.