Cdn MD graduate with US residency training

Started by emeka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emeka

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question that I hope can be answered here.

Considering the fact that a general internal medicine residency program is 4 years in Canada, but 3 years in the U.S, what is the policy of canada regarding people who have RECEIVED their undergraduate medical degree from Canada but obtained residency training (such as G.I.M) the the U.S.

Is one required to make up the extra year they saved doing an american residency, or does one just need to write the Canadian licencing exam.

I wonder if anyone has gone through this route (IM or other specialties) and can give some insight. Consider any Canadian province, preferentially Alberta.
 
I believe you will have to do one extra year. Either in the US or in Canada do qualify.

Check the college of physicians and surgeons for more info.