Cell bio, Bio Chem or Microbiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to skip Bio Chem, because it is pre chemistry and I already took General chem-1 and all I need to learn from Bio Chemistry class is 20 amino acids.
What do you think?
Also, I was going to take Cell Biology and Microbiology.
Am I on the right truck?
(In our collegecatalog Microbiology and Organic chemistry are electives for pre-meds, but after I have read this forum I think I still should take them, right?)

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem is more useful in the long-run because it connects the dots between bio, orgo and mirco

Members don't see this ad :)
our college offers only Intro to Biochem.
Do you think I still should take it?

Hey guys, do I need Microbiology and Cell Biology?

Lisochka said:
our college offers only Intro to Biochem.
Do you think I still should take it?

Hey guys, do I need Microbiology and Cell Biology?

Take the intro class.

You do not need the more advanced classes but they are good if you have the opportunity to take them.

I think zoology is not really necessary. I don't think microbio is necessary either. Cell Bio and orgo i believe are prereqs for most schools so you should take those for sure. Biochem is pretty standard and u should take this too.

I really appreciate having taken cell biology....it integrated everything related to the biological sciences, IMO.

zoology-only to improve your BCMP
biochem-to increase # of schools you may apply to
cell bio- good choice since most bio 101/102 do not go over this too much
microbiology-never took it
honest opinion-you don't need any of thses classes to do well on the MCAT. They help but spending an extra 3-7 days going over that particular topic would be more fruitful if the class will not help your major/minor. You are spending 16 weeks to master something you can learn(for MCAT puposes) with solid studying in 3-7 days and going over the material repeatedly in the weeks/months going into the MCAT.

I took biochem and cell bio post MCAT and have not seen anything that I wish I knew for the MCAT. I am more comfortable with the material but the AAMC Topic list and a decent review book will get you there also. Stick to the AAMC Topic List when trying to go into detail on topics/subjects you are weak.

Lisochka said:
Am I on the right truck?
(In our collegecatalog Microbiology and Organic chemistry are electives for pre-meds, but after I have read this forum I think I still should take them, right?)

Thanks guys.

what's your major?
for medical school you MUST take chem 1&2, physics 1&2, bio 1&2, and ochem 1&2. All 8 classes MUST have a lab component.

If i had to choose i would take them in this order Biochem, Cell bio, micro. Biochem is real usefull like someone else said it connects all the things youve learned in other classes. Cell Bio is a very good class as well, a bit of an overlap with Biochem on some topics but a very good class, take them at the same time. Cell bio and Biochem, i feel would help tremendously on the MCAT. Biochem is the much harder course however IMO.

If you can take a physiology class I think that would help for the MCAT more than any of the above classes, just MHO

Jim

Are you asking if you should take these classes to prepare for the MCAT, or to prepare yourself for a life in medicine?

MCAT - no they probably wouldn't help

Medical education - yes, take them all

Teerawit said:
Are you asking if you should take these classes to prepare for the MCAT, or to prepare yourself for a life in medicine?

MCAT - no they probably wouldn't help

Medical education - yes, take them all

No, I am asking for the classes that will help me to prepare for the MCAT.
I did take those classes long time ago in collge, but it was 10 years ago and I am retaking it cause I don't remember anything.

So, I am just trying to figure out what classes prepare for the MCAT.

JDWflash44 said:
If you can take a physiology class I think that would help for the MCAT more than any of the above classes, just MHO

Jim

I am surprised, because I looked in the course catalog in ou college, and for pre med students Physiology is not required, neither it was sugested as elective class.
But I trust you guys more, than our college advisors (who probably never even seen any MCAT tests.)

And I am surprised you say that Micro Biology is not necessary for the MCAT.
Good news for me, because I have heared it was as hard as Organic Chem

Although no course beyond Gen Bio is required for the MCATs, I think several are useful.

I thought genetics was the most helpful. The pedigree analysis & Mendelian stuff is pretty easy. But the molecular bio of plasmid transfers, DNA sequencing, Genomics, recombination, epistasis etc. are the sorts of stuff that is right up the MCAT's alley. Again it is not any particular facts but a comfort level with the molecular stuff is great.

Also helpful pretty much in order of importance
Cell Bio
Biochem
Physio.

Wrong truck - I think thats a go kart.
20 amino acids - thats like 1 chapter.
i just finished biochem 1, and I had to chuckle. The subject is a lot more in depth, and I think it was way useful to really understand the point behind organic chem - It is, like other posts state, the bridge between bio and chemistry, hence the name of the course.

Plus a 1st year med student told me - definitely take biochem! It blew her mind - like memorizing the 20 aa and their properties in a day or two and then applying that to the functions and properties of enzymes (which is what biochem 1 is really about)

good luck