Cell Biology Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I didn't really want to make a thread of this but I guess it doesn't matter. I was wondering when you American students take this Cell Biology course during your undergrad. Which year do you take it in?

The contents should normally range from the study of cells, signal transduction pathways, flourescent microscopy, structure of membranes, protein sorting, and cancer and apoptosis.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

At my school it's a 3000 level course, but I took it 2nd semester of my 2nd year. It made a lot of the upper level bio courses easier to understand.

It depends. Those topics are all kind of spread out in our (or at least, they were in mine) courses. The basic structure and function type stuff was covered pretty in-depth first year, as was membranes and whatnot. Receptors, signalling pathways, microscopy techniques, and all that stuff was covered in the actual cell-bio course (second year). Some of those things were only touched on in the actual course and weren't covered in depth until later courses. Exact apoptosis pathways and fluorescent microscopy techniques weren't covered for me until some advanced courses (immunology, etc...), but a lot of it I learned earlier either on my own or in biochem research. I probably would have learned more of it in cell biol, but my professor was one of the most monotone speakers I have ever listened to, and I often daydreamed his class away. Again, a lot of the more specific stuff I didn't learn well until upper level classes, and I especially learned a lot about pathways and specific proteins/signaling cascades in biochem research and virology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took that class during my sixth semester right before the mcat...but I am not required by my curriculum to take it, I took it as extra mcat and med school prep. Normally the bio, biochem and neuroscience majors at my school take that course their fourth semester.

Em1 said:
I took it 2nd semester of my 2nd year. It made a lot of the upper level bio courses easier to understand.

ditto